July 2015 Moms

Tdap

I am sure this has been discussed, but my search isnt coming up with anyone. Did anyone get the vaccine when pregnant? I am asking because when I was young, I had a reaction to the vaccine, so I didnt get it when I had my son 2 years ago. I have heard the formula has changed and its safer now, just not sure if I should get it this time or not risk it.

Re: Tdap

• I got it :) if you had a reaction I would talk to your doctor...
  • kval13kval13 member
    I got it- there is a lot of whooping cough in my area. No reaction, arm wasn't even sore! But I have never had a problem with any vaccine. Your case is different with a previously noted reaction. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got it because this one was the only one I felt necessary. I didn't get the flu vaccine, and I'm pretty sure I haven't been vaccinated for ANYTHING since I was in high school, maybe younger (I'm almost 30 now.) I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" however I do have a phobia of medicine and other things I put in my body so I've always chosen not to get vaccinated or take medications where unnecessary.

That being said: I think this one is an important one because it's the only chance baby gets for a long time to be vaccinated for it. Once baby is born I think they said they can't be vaccinated until they're at least one year of age.

My reactions were minimal. I did get nauseated a little afterward and my arm was sore for about 4 days but I think the pros outweigh the cons of this one.

Either way, it's YOUR decision!
  • My SO and I got ours last night, no big deal, arm isnt even sore today. No reactions here but if you have had one in the past I would ask your Dr. Also it is suggested to get is before 36 weeks
  • I got it. My arm was so sore for 2 days afterward. I don't have reactions to vaccines though. Should discuss with your doc.
  • I got it and my arm was sore for almost a week. The only vaccine I've ever had a reaction to is the pneumonia vaccine, though. I'd discuss it with your doctor, just like everyone else suggested.
  • I got it as well, no issues. I agree with others, since you had a reaction, I would chat with your OB and see what they say.
  • I would definitely ask your doctor, the formulation for kids is slightly different than for adults. So it is still worth investigating
  • I get mine tomorrow. I'm a little confused about it though cause I had one almost 4 years ago when I had my son. And I thought they were good for 10 yrs. but my dr recommends getting it for each pregnancy. Not looking forward to the sore arm. I remembered it hurt for a couple days.
  • I get mine tomorrow. I'm a little confused about it though cause I had one almost 4 years ago when I had my son. And I thought they were good for 10 yrs. but my dr recommends getting it for each pregnancy. Not looking forward to the sore arm. I remembered it hurt for a couple days.

They are good for 10 years but they want you to get revaccinated with each pregnancy so that you pass on maximum immunity to the baby. So good for 10 years unless you get pregnant, then recommended to have one sooner

They say every pregnancy now because they found that you can pass on antibodies to your baby.

• I got mine yesterday. It didn't hurt at all and I feel no pain today.
  • My mom gets a reaction to the vaccine every time, her doctor is aware and usually gives her Benadryl and keeps her at the office for a few hours to monitor afterwards.
  • I got mine and I was just sore in my arm for like 2 days
  • I got it because this one was the only one I felt necessary. I didn't get the flu vaccine, and I'm pretty sure I haven't been vaccinated for ANYTHING since I was in high school, maybe younger (I'm almost 30 now.) I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" however I do have a phobia of medicine and other things I put in my body so I've always chosen not to get vaccinated or take medications where unnecessary.

That being said: I think this one is an important one because it's the only chance baby gets for a long time to be vaccinated for it. Once baby is born I think they said they can't be vaccinated until they're at least one year of age.

My reactions were minimal. I did get nauseated a little afterward and my arm was sore for about 4 days but I think the pros outweigh the cons of this one.

Either way, it's YOUR decision!
    No, they start that one at 2 months.

OP: After much consideration I decided not to.  I am very pro-vaccine, my kids are vaccinated on time, I get the flu shot every year even when pregnant or BFing, my main hangup about this is how new the recommendation is.  Less than 3 years ago they recommended you wait until baby was born to get the vaccine, now they say get it every pregnancy.  It's most likely safe, I just worry that they haven't been giving it to pregnant women for that long.  DH and I are both up-to-date along with our two older kids, Grandparents and our siblings were all vaccinated less than 5 years ago and I will be BFing, hopefully that will be enough.