March 2015 Moms
Options

Racial question...

My son is 11 weeks old, & is half Hispanic, w/ blue eyes & a full head of thick dark hair. I've been places and people have tried telling my that his father is not Hispanic, and that i'm a liar. Which shocks me that strangers would say that. I myself am a very pale person, and my sons father isn't all that dark either, but you can tell he's Hispanic, although my son is darker then me but lighter then his father. Has anyone else ran into this problem? & what should I say when I run into this situation??

Re: Racial question...

• Options
    My DH is from Argentina and I am of Canadian-Irish descent. Lo and behold, our LO came out a pale, blue-eyed redhead like me. For those who don't know, red hair is a recessive gene, which means that there must be red hair on both sides of the family and we figure that someone in his Italian ancestry had red hair (many Argentines have Italian heritage). What I'm getting at is that genes carry down in different ways and can often skip generations too. you'll likely find as the baby gets older more of his father's traits will come out as well. It may be hard, but try not to let anyone's comments get to you - laugh it off if you can. If it's acquaintances or even strangers, their comments certainly aren't worth your worry and honestly, it's none of their business anyway who the father is or isn't . The only people whose opinions matter in this regard are you, your LO and the dad. If family are truly questioning this though, I think that may warrant a discussion with the baby's father to address. Hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is a varying mix of things! His father is half Italian and half Jewish. I'm part white, black, and native American. I don't care what anyone says or thinks, our babies are beautiful. Don't worry about the opinions of strangers. They don't matter and the ones that do matter, I'm sure they know and believe you! In the future, I'd tell those rude strangers that children come in all shapes and colors...everyone is born different. And isn't it great that we all don't look exactly as everyone imagines? Then I'd just walk away. Don't pay attention to them!
  • Options
    My son is half black half Mexican ..he looks more Hispanic thn black his eyes are also blue ( not sure if they will be changing ) everyone always has a side comment about what his dad thinks bc he is light or has colored eyes or asking who he looks like , I was getting annoyed by the questions but now I just say he looks like himself and both me and his dad love how cute he looks ...ppl want to look for a resemblance out of the womb and it takes time he may look completely different in a few months so brush it off and just love the Beauty of your baby
  • Options
    Strangers always assume I'm the nanny. One lady asked if my kid was hapa haole (a local term meaning "mixed white"), I said yes. She continued, "So cute hapa kids, does she look like her mother?"
  • Options
    My baby is half black half white and was born 3 months early. Not sure if that's factoring in or not but he is extremely light with grey eyes and dark brown hair. A nurse in the NICU had the nerve to tell me my child wasn't mixed and that my husband should get a paternity test to make sure. People stare at him when me and my husband are out together. He looks like me mostly but his skin is not as light as mine. Still it's difficult to hear it from strangers let alone people who were caring for him in a professional capacity. I know who my child's father is and that's all that matters to me.
  • Options
    All my kids are half white/mexican. And as they do look more mexican even though they arent dark a walmart worker said in a wisper, i have a question. Me being nice i said yes. She was like are they mixed with mexican. I was like yeah, u act like that a bad thing the way u asked it. She could have asked it in another way. I wouldnt worry wat ppl say. My husband isnt dark at all and i look like a ghost. So of course my kids came out light with black eyes and blackish /redish hair. And my LO has my hazel eyes. I no kids who both of their parents are mexican and they come out white. So i wouldnt worry about it. Ppl these days can be so rude.