October 2015 Moms

Good books (not baby related)??

I am tearing through the books I've brought for our vacation and it's only day 1! I need some recommendations for some solid summer reads during our down time. What are some books that have had you hooked lately?

Recently read/ am reading: Girl on the Train, Sharp Objects, In the Unlikely Event, and What She Left Behind.

Re: Good books (not baby related)??

• For me, anything by Agatha Christie gets read in one sitting.
  • "These is my words" by Nancy E. Turner, "A certain slant of light" by Laura Whitcomb, "the red tent" by Anita Dormant, "the passion of artemisia" by Susan Vreeland... i could go on but you're probably sick of me already haha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mom enough by desiring God is an excellent read!
  • My friends are obsessed with John Green. So I'm currently working on "Looking for Alaska." I tried reading his book "Paper Towns" after I read "The Fault in Our Stars" last summer, but I was just offended by it to be honest. TFIOS was a good one though. I read it in about 24 hours and cried like a baby. "Looking for Alaska" is okay.
    I bought Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" based on my husband's recommendation and I'll probably bring that for our vacation in two weeks.
  • I have been reading a ton as well. I am reading a sci-fi series called the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyers. I have a long list of books I want to finish before LO comes along!
  • My fall back is also Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
  • Theres a book series by Jean M Auel that i absolutely love! The series is called earth's children and the first book is The Clan of the Cave Bear. They're quite different as theyre prehistoric novels, but theyre amazing :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett is one that I flew through fairly quickly, but it was also one that I enjoyed because I was able to slip away into the Amazon for awhile! :) I am reading The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright per recommendation from one of my friends and it's a really fast read. So far it's pretty good, but it won't take too long so I'll need another book!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So many good titles to check out!! Thank you, ladies!! Lots I've had on my "hmmm I should read this!" list, but have just never gotten around to- this might be that week! :)
  • kfry22kfry22 member
    I just read "Go Ask Alice" and "Burned." Currently reading "What the Nanny Saw." Second the pp about John Green. My go to author for books I love to redress is Nicholas Evans. He wrote "The Horsewhisperer"
  • I was going to recommend girl on the train. Some other good ones i have read recently are orphan train and night circus.

• The husband's secret by liane Moriarity!
  • Disclaimer by Renee Knight was great. If you liked girl on a train, it's a similar style (but better in my opinion).
  • A few of my all time favs: The Book of Negros Room Still Alice The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared I have a lot more but we just empited 3 bedrooms into our basement living room so they can be carpeted and my book shelf is hidden! Happy reading!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• I have been reading a lot. Here are some recent books I enjoyed:
    Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty) - currently reading
    The Goldfinch
    All the Light We Cannot See
    Yes Please
    Outlander - I have only read the first book but it was great. Going to read the second book in the series next.
    Wild
    Into the Woods

I don't know what I would do without my Goodreads.com account. I have a few friends that I follow and this is how I find all of my books to read.
  • @lginnan I did not enjoy my husbands secret! Didn't even finish it, which is unusual for me, and I usually like that author.
  • Have you read Dark Places by GIllian Flynn?  My favorite book of hers.  Also, if you're into YA literature, Ember in the Ashes was great.  I just finished :) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @danixbanani24 I haven't yet- but I think I'm gonna have to!
  • MelMel92 said:
    Theres a book series by Jean M Auel that i absolutely love! The series is called earth's children and the first book is The Clan of the Cave Bear. They're quite different as theyre prehistoric novels, but theyre amazing :)
    When I was in jr high my best friend and I would sneak these off her mom's bookshelf and read the naughty bits. Caveman sex! I have no idea about the rest of the content of the books
  • Life after Life by Kate Atkinson, it's like Groundhog Day with a female protagonist in WW2 England. One of my recent favorites, I always recommend it. I devoured it on a single trip, might have been my honeymoon?
  • I love the highlander books and fever series by Karen Marie Moning. They're supernatural and deal with fae with adult content. The cliffhangers and waits between books kills me tho
  • MelMel92 said:
    Theres a book series by Jean M Auel that i absolutely love! The series is called earth's children and the first book is The Clan of the Cave Bear. They're quite different as theyre prehistoric novels, but theyre amazing :)
    When I was in jr high my best friend and I would sneak these off her mom's bookshelf and read the naughty bits. Caveman sex! I have no idea about the rest of the content of the books
    Hahaha, that had me spit some of my drink back out, I'll be honest.  =)
    Yeah they definitely arent childrens books, but theyre not quite 50 shades either hehe
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ems028ems028 member
    I am reading 'The Goldfinch' right now. It's a long one...so it might keep you occupied for a little while longer.

Also, if you haven't read 'Gone Girl' you should try that one...
  • If you want a great series the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward is amazing! The first book is called Dark Lover and it's about the Vampire king Wrath and the on going war between the vampires and lessers. The whole series gets pretty steamy and can leave you wanting more! I believe there are 13 books in the series right now. Each of the members of the Brotherhood have their own books and they all coincide with the others.

• Also 'Good in Bed' and the sequel 'Certain Girls' by Jennifer Weiner are great reads too!
  • Just finished "The Bone Clocks" by David Mitchell. Very good! Right now I'm working on the Outlander series. Book 1 so far is very riveting. 
    I also second anything by Neil Gaiman. American Gods and Neverwhere are two of my all time favorites. 
    ~~ October Siggy Challenge - Amazing/Horrible Pregnancy Costumes ~~

Image result for pregnancy halloween costumes

IAmPregnant Ticker
    FTM - Oct. 22, 2015
  • I usually read lighter books, I don't want anything that will make me cry! My go to's are anything by Janet Evanovich (the Stephanie Plum series, they're numbered) and I love Sophie Kinsella (she wrote Shopaholic, but my favorite is Confessions of an Undomestic Goddess).
    I also read a lot of scientific non-fiction.... Anyone else interested there?
  • Maisie Dobbs and Code Name Verity are two of my all-time favorites :)
  • I love Emily Giffin's series (Something Blue, Something Pink, Baby Proof, etc) they are fun reads. They're not going to leave you with everlasting feelings, just fun popcorn reads. I've read through those super quickly.  
  • I love reading! Here are some recent faves of mine: The Luckiest Girl Alive - could not put it down! I loved Gone Girl too. 
    Amy Poehler's book is pretty good. Just started reading "Primates of Park Avenue". "The Stranger" by Harlan Coben - also could not put that down.
     Oldies but goodies: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
    TTC Baby #2 Since May 2014
    BFP February 6th 2015!!!
    EDD October 15, 2015
  • I'm sort of ADD with books. I frequently have several going at once. Right now, it's The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, Dragonfly in Amber (the 2nd Outlander book), and Salem's Lot by Steven King.

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars, Doctor Sleep (another King) and The Shining. Up until this last month, the only SK book I'd ever read was Lisey's Story (uh-mazing story!), so I felt like I was overdue to catch up on some.

If you want pure summer reading fun, anything by Charlaine Harris is a good bet. She does the Sookie Stackhouse books, as well as some murder mysteries.

For fantasy, I also love Patrick Rothfuss. He's (painfully slowly) working on the 3rd book in the Kingkiller Chronicles. Love these!
    O15 August Siggy Challenge