July 2015 Moms

Is it safe to induce labor???

I am at 36 weeks and 1 day but my due date is less than a month away. The baby is measuring big so is it safe to try and induce labor? I am feeling absolutely miserable my hip pain is making it nearly impossible to walk or do anything for that matter. And sleep is nothing short of a miracle if I could ever get any. Please help!!!

Re: Is it safe to induce labor???

• This is def. a question for your doctor, but I would say no way. The baby is still considered premature at this point. I say suck it up for your babies health. Your pain is nothing compared to their health.
  • Hospitals usually won't induce labor before 39 weeks unless there is a medical reason to do so. I'm being induced between 37-38 weeks due to high blood pressure, and was given a steroid shot at 31 weeks to help my baby's lungs develop quicker.
  • Loading the player...
  • You shouldn't try to induce labor without a medical reason to do so. Ultrasounds and grow estimates can be way off at this stage of the game. At 36 weeks you're not to term yet so you may just cause yourself a lot more trouble than it's worth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Talk to your doctor. I'm 36+3 and she told me to go ahead and have sex more, make sure I'm walking- because of it happened from now on it would be fine. Even natural ways won't work unless your body is ready. I'm assuming you meant natural induction? To be honest you've made it this far already, try hard to keep your patience. It will happen when it is supposed to.
  • Like all of us I feel your pain... But one of my motivations to want her to stay in longer is my friends baby was born at 34 weeks. She needed no NICU or nothing special she was five pounds and went home two days after the birth. They thought everything was developed and great but this baby cannot digest formula. It's aweful she screams day and night she is in so much pain it doesn't matter what formula or what they try to do for her she has bad acid reflux too. They attribute this to her being a premie. She is four months old and still has this problem. I couldn't imagine.
  • I would wait until 37 weeks but then I would go ahead with all the old wives tale techniques. Walking, sex, nipple stimulation, spicy food. None of them will do anything if baby isn't ready so no harm but they can encourage labor if you're close!
  • My baby is measuring big but is healthy and my doctor would like to let him stay in there as long as possible and I'm 37+3. She said if he was born now he would be healthy but won't give him an eviction notice until 39 weeks since I have GD.
  • Don't try to induce your labor. Not a smart move. Please just listen to the medical professionals.
  • mers90mers90 member
    Try to stay strong, we all know how you're feeling! I'm 35w4d and I feel like crap all day! I want to sleep until this pregnancy is over, but we need to stay strong for our babies! If you start having weekly ultrasounds you'll notice how much of a difference 1 week makes for them, you're almost there!
  • bnmccann said:

Like all of us I feel your pain... But one of my motivations to want her to stay in longer is my friends baby was born at 34 weeks. She needed no NICU or nothing special she was five pounds and went home two days after the birth. They thought everything was developed and great but this baby cannot digest formula. It's aweful she screams day and night she is in so much pain it doesn't matter what formula or what they try to do for her she has bad acid reflux too. They attribute this to her being a premie. She is four months old and still has this problem. I couldn't imagine.

Poor baby.. Did they check her for piloric stenosis? I believe that usually becomes evident earlier then 4 months.. But maybe a chance I suppose? They thought my youngest had it because she would drink her bottle, then exorcist style vomit the whole thing up at once.. Turned out she just had severe acid reflux. But may be worth looking into for them. :/
  • I'll definitely suggest it to her! Poor thing I feel so bad for her she just screams in agony all day everyday. Her mama is losing it because she can never calm her down
  • Oh that's gotta be hard. :( poor thing. Maybe gripe water or mylicon may help for now? Unless she's on Zantac or something, then they may wanna check with doc if it's safe to add either of those..