November 2015 Moms

STM's - Must haves for packing a hospital bag?

Hey ladies, I've been reading a lot about what you do and don't need to bring to the hospital. Same for dads. I was wondering what your list of must haves and what you can skip and leave at home might be? I feel like I'm gonna pack my whole house and use two things outta my bag. Some suggestions even say bring your blow drier and straightener for the day your released. I mean, are us FTM's really gonna feel up to doing our hair and makeup? I'd like to think I would walk out looking "somewhat" decent but I'm thinking it's highly unlikely. Suggestions? Life savers? Ehh, leave it home ideas and/or lists?

Re: STM's - Must haves for packing a hospital bag?

• I ended up with C-sections each time and was surely not up to makeup or straightening hair. I did use my shower stuff though, lifesaver to feel more human. You really only need a going home outfit for baby everything else was provided for baby at hospital. All the lists say bring snacks, but my hospital provided a snack lounge for me and Dad to use. Also, I didn't need much for birthing at my hospital (before C-section), they had a birthing ball and other things. If they have a jacuzzi tub you may want a suit. So check with your hospital ahead of time about what they provide. I do use the boppy each time for easier feeds especially with the C-section if you are planning on nursing. Also, make sure to have easy to nurse in jammies.
  • Loading the player...
  • LizQ2LizQ2 member
    Must haves:

-Camera
    -Phone charger
    -Chapstick
    -Snacks
    -I brought my iPad to watch Netflix on and was glad I had that.
    -Your own pillow, hospital pillows suck
    -Boppy or other nursing pillow
    -Comfy sweatpants
    -Travel size shampoo, condition etc.
    -I am on board with bringing your straightner, I didn't care what I looked like going home but I did use it for during my hospital stay when I had visitors and took pictures.

I found that both times I had babies I always packed too many clothes. You wear the hospital gown for awhile so keep that in mind.

*YCSWU July Siggy*

• A robe. It was amazing especially after each bath which I took a few due to hemroids.
  • Make sure to bring a dress and or nightgown. If you end up with a c-section, pants hurt.
  • I took my own towels and a hair towel
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Hair brush and hair tie
    Nursing bra and nursing pads
    I wore the mesh undies home so no need for underwear
    Loose pants
    T-shirt
    Light robe (nice to put on after having baby, mid length and cotton)
    I wore spaghetti strap sun type dress at the hospital even in cold February
    Electronic device and charger
    Baby outfit :) and blankie
    Shampoo and conditioner travel size is great!
    Stool softener (hospital can give you this to)
    Slip on shoes for walking around the hospital
    Deodorant

I never did my makeup but I am more natural anyway, also no hairdryer a ponytail is just fine for me. I never used a nursing pillow at the hospital either, but if your concerned about nursing and you get to see a lactation nurse before you leave you might want to take one to make sure you get the right feel. I just used pillows.

I took everything home from the hospital that I could, big pads, disposable undies, peri bottle, diapers, other baby stuff, binkie, thermometer, baby powder, wipes....

Also remember to freeze some pads or diapers for when you get home :). They make great ice packs!
  • For me I will have to bring my straightener and dryer. I can't stand my hair not straightened. I'm going to bring a bit of makeup and slippers. My camera for sure. I'll be bringing my comfiest sweats and a robe or sweater.
  • Bo blow dryer / straightener for me this time other then maybe foundation. Vrought it all last time and didnt use it.

- slip on shoes
    - nursing pillow
    - baby nail clippers!!!
    - yoga pants / loose shirts
  • Cook3133 said:

I took my own towels and a hair towel
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Hair brush and hair tie
    Nursing bra and nursing pads
    I wore the mesh undies home so no need for underwear
    Loose pants
    T-shirt
    Light robe (nice to put on after having baby, mid length and cotton)
    I wore spaghetti strap sun type dress at the hospital even in cold February
    Electronic device and charger
    Baby outfit :) and blankie
    Shampoo and conditioner travel size is great!
    Stool softener (hospital can give you this to)
    Slip on shoes for walking around the hospital
    Deodorant

I never did my makeup but I am more natural anyway, also no hairdryer a ponytail is just fine for me. I never used a nursing pillow at the hospital either, but if your concerned about nursing and you get to see a lactation nurse before you leave you might want to take one to make sure you get the right feel. I just used pillows.

I took everything home from the hospital that I could, big pads, disposable undies, peri bottle, diapers, other baby stuff, binkie, thermometer, baby powder, wipes....

Also remember to freeze some pads or diapers for when you get home :). They make great ice packs!

Oh yeah the mesh undies and pads take as many as you can grab the are amazing! I am plus sized and when the gave me the undies I laughed cause I figured there was no way they would fit but they were so comfy.

I threw away some until I realized HELLO I can wash these!! I wore them until the heavy bleeding stopped and was glad I held onto them because my third was at a birthing center and they didn't have those!
  • nano1nano1 member
    I went pretty minimal on the packing (dh went home to check the animals the next morning anyway and grabbed anything I needed).
    One unecessary thing that I brought and appreciated having was a short string of Christmas lights, it was so much more relaxing than the overhead lighting.
  • tinaaytinaay member
    I took my own pads hospitals were uncomfortable and not wide enough. Make sure you have breast pads and tucks for when you get home. A camera. Lanolin for sore nipples if bf. No baby nail clippers take a file. You can clip their skin if you use clippers.
  • Gapeach83Gapeach83 member
    edited June 2015
    -yoga pants
    -hair ties
    -hair brush
    - snacks!!!
    -extra chargers
    -camera
    -take as many mesh undies as you can!! Save your panties they are awesome and comfy.
  • My hospital supplied so much, so make sure you ask before you pack. They gave me mesh underwear to last two weeks, pads, diapers, wipes, pacifiers, etc. I packed travel size shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste. Didn't give a damn about my hair or make up, but then again it was just my husband and I. I ended up wearing hospital gowns and nursing gowns supplied the whole time because I didn't want to ruin my clothes. Wore yoga pants and a maternity shirt home. Packed one outfit for baby because he was swaddled with a hospital shirt the whole time. I was only there two nights and 2.5 days so a lot of stuff was unnecessary. The only thing I really wanted was my own pillow and blanket, but not until after I delivered and showered.
  • Word on the street in my area is that they don't give you any extra mesh underwear. Sounds like a big THUMBS DOWN!

I'm a FTM so I guess I'll go prepared with some cheapo undies.

• YES on tucks pads!!! I got mine from the hospital and asked for some to go home with!
  • Must haves for me were yoga pants and nursing tanks. I also had a button up nightgown or robe to throw over. Shampoo, conditioner and any toiletries. Another vote for the hospital mesh undies here, those were amazing! For baby, all we really needed to bring was a blanket and going home outfit along with the car seat.
  • vrossolillevrossolille member
    edited June 2015
    Chap stick!!!!!! So necessary yet I would have forgot had I not read this! Thanks guys!
  • On baby #3 and this is my packing list:
    My own blanket! (I am ALWAYS cold)
    A super soft, light robe
    Yoga pants
    Loose, soft, comfy tees
    Chapstick
    Makeup (the bare necessities - bb cream, mascara, tinted Chapstick)
    Toiletries(shampoo, conditioner, body and face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion)
    My own underwear!
    My comfiest nursing bra
    Nursing pads
    Nipple cream (I prefer the Lansinoh brand)
    Diaper bag
    Warm baby blanket
    Swaddle blanket
    I don't bring the Boppy since I usually just use pillows when they're newborns and I only bring a going home outfit since I keep the baby in their newborn shirt thing for easy access for LOTS of skin to skin and quick and easy diaper changes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • elbouelbou member
    edited June 2015

I have a travel toiletry bag that is always ready to just throw in a suitcase and go for over night trips, so I usually pack that and a few clothes.

I truthfully never bothered showering at the hospital...I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of using a public shower, and always waited until I was home.

I don't often wear make-up, so I never bothered bringing it, but I do recommend lip balm of some kind, as my lips always got really dry in the hospital.

Some form of entertainment is a good idea. With DD2, I was stuck waiting in the hospital for a few hours after my water broke because contractions didn't start on their own, and nothing was happening. I brought one book, but got bored of reading it. I really wish I had thought to pack a deck of cards or something else to help pass the time!

Snacks is a good idea too, as not all hospitals have a snack lounge, and unless you have a scheduled C-section/induction, you can't guarantee the kitchen will still be open when you get hungry.

I would also suggest bottled water or juice. I remember being sooo thirsty after DS was born. DH had gone home for the night, the night nurse was pretty busy, and I wasn't ready to take a walk to the 24 hour coffee shop they had, so I had to wait until there was a lull in the nurse's schedule to ask for some water. Not a great situation when you're planning to nurse.

We also always packed a small amount of cash ($20-$40) in the hospital bag for whatever came up. Snacks, drinks, a souvenir from the gift shop, something unexpected or forgotten from the pharmacy, etc. You could probably use debit or credit cards for any of these things, but we liked to have some cash on hand as well just in case.

Also, wet wipes for baby! The hospital DS was born at only had dry wipes (basically a really large, thick and soft napkin) and they were horrible for wiping off the first few bowel movements. I was very glad I brought my own pack of wet wipes! It was so much easier to clean up dirty diapers that way!

• LSRooLSRoo member
    -Wear a comfy track suit with nursing tank underneath when you go to he hospital and then wear the same one home. You'll change into a hospital gown when you arrive so it will be perfect to wear home. Saves room!

-straightener and make up is optional.(bring chap stick and hair bands). I brought my straightener but never used it. I showered after delivery and let my hair air dry. I was too tired. My hospital had a hair dryer.

-comfy socks/flip flops or uggs

-your own pillow and a boppy to nurse - I wore the hospital gown the whole time out of convenience so I didn't need a nursing bra. The tank I wore to he hospital had a built in nursing bra so that saved room.

-some people like to wear their own pajama set after delivery. Motherhood carries pants nursing tank and robe sets. They are super soft and comfy. I would invest in one!
    -my hospital had excellent food but I brought money for the cafes and gift shop snacks.

-one outfit for baby. Baby will be swaddled the whole time and they give them a kimono and hat to wear.

-cell and iPad charger. I brought my iPad but hardly used it to be honest. Bring a camera and make sure its charged if you aren't just using iPhone or cell camera.

-hospital supplied me with clean gowns, diapers, wipes, formula if used, mesh undies, tucks, dermoplast, etc..
    They also give you these awesome ice water pitchers with a lid and straw that they constantly fill. They are super convenient.

• A list of take out/delivery places near the hosipital. In case the kitchen is closed when you are ready to eat. Hosipital food can get old quick, especially if you have a CS and are in the hosipital for 4-5 days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • hacharles said:

Word on the street in my area is that they don't give you any extra mesh underwear. Sounds like a big THUMBS DOWN!

Order those things online! I ordered some a few weeks ahead of time because they really are the best thing when you feel like you have a waterfall going on.
  • Love the idea of planning your going home outfit for wearing to the hospital. I brought too much last time when we left the hospital we had so much crap to carry not to mention the baby in the bulky car seat we weren't used to. I plan on bringing a little empty bag for carrying home gifts/hospital supplies. And food! The meals I was provided were never enough and there were no seconds. I felt so bad asking my husband to go out for food b/c he was so tired.
  • hacharles said:

Word on the street in my area is that they don't give you any extra mesh underwear. Sounds like a big THUMBS DOWN!

Order those things online! I ordered some a few weeks ahead of time because they really are the best thing when you feel like you have a waterfall going on.
    Can you share the website? I think I have 1 maybe from my hospital birth 3 years ago
  • Cook3133 said:

hacharles said:

Can you share the website? I think I have 1 maybe from my hospital birth 3 years ago
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Quality-Mesh-Pants-Size/dp/B000Q7FQS8

There's other companies too, but I have Amazon prime so I usually order from there. Just search for postpartum underwear, tons of mommy companies have them.
  • ZoeH3ZoeH3 member
    Rash cream! Especially if you have a c-section and/or sensitive skin. After sitting on that bed for 3 days straight I got a huge rash and it was super itchy.
  • The more kids I deliver the less I realize I need, lol. For baby:
    going home outfit
    blanket
    carseat
    baby book to get footprints stamped in

For mommy:
    Robe and slippers
    Lip balm and hard candy
    Wear outfit in that you'll wear home
    Own pillow and blanket for comfort
    Phone charger
    I took a tinted moisturizer and mascara
  • I've seen socks mentioned a few times, want to suggest bringing a pair of not only comfy, but thick socks (wool or fleece).  That was the weirdest thing for me, I had chills really bad after a pretty easy birth and my feet were freezing (in June, in Texas).  I was so happy I had randomly thrown a pair of fleece socks in my bag.  Have heard from friends that chills can be pretty common after c-section as well. Also second pp who have said a nursing tank or nursing pajama top.  I was amazed at the number of hospital staff that come in and out of the room, and it was hard to navigate clothing while learning to BF.
  • tayzavtayzav member
    Thank you all so much, this is a huge help. I will be delivering an hour away from my house so I just don't wanna forget anything (if possible) and either have my BF running all the way back home or trying to have either of our families navigate through things in our house. I'm sure I'll end up over packing for that reason alone, but at least I have a huge list of things I'll most likely need to go off off. Much appreciated. ;)
  • FYI I HATED wearing the mesh panties and hospital gown. Everyone is different, but just keep it in mind. You may love them like some of the other ladies on here, or not. If you live an hour away, it wouldn't hurt to throw an extra pair in your bag.
  • You can buy Depends disposable underwear at the store. I plan to do that this time. Trust me, you will want something disposable. ;)
  • Also one thing I've had to plan is giving my mum a key to my house. She is coming to the birth but either just before or just afterwards she is going to go collect my dog to have him overnight when we get back so that he gets his usual walks. He's grown up around babies so I'm not worried about him meeting the baby. Just that he gets his walks while I'm away poor boy xx
  • dapoint23 said:
    Just want to emphsize the hair ties if you have long hair.... I managed to forget them last time and wanted to kill someone or cut my hair off!
    A decent headband if you've got shorter hair is a life saver.  I'd recommend one of the stretchy ones instead of a hard one though. 

If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• My biggest surprise last time was that DS was born with really long nails! As a PP said, nail clippers are hard to use on a newborn (I clipped his skin once and have never used them since) but I also found a file very difficult as their nails are so soft at first. I found the baby nail scissors easier to use (DS is almost 2 and we still use them) and I'll definitely be packing those this time.
  • Great lists/advice already!! Not sure f it's said, but

-change ($$) for DH if he only has vending machine option
    -leave room in bag/bring an extra bag to carry any diapers/other stuff from hospital home
    -change of clothes for DH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only thing I was happy I had that I haven't seen mentioned was a package of make-up remover/facial cleanser cloths.  I wasn't able to shower right away after my son because I was on mag and it made me feel a lot better to just be able to wipe my face.

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers