July 2015 Moms

Thank you card annoyance.

2»

Re: Thank you card annoyance.

• Before my shower, I took a template off of Pinterest and pre-made them. I really didn't feel like doing Thank You Cards especially since I've been on bedrest. They'll get them when you're ready!
  • Check out paperless post,punchbowl and evite there awesome tools to use without having to hand write everything it saves ALOT of time .I still typed something personal 2 each person but to save more time you can just write a standards THANKYOU note to all your recipients and be done with it ! I def understand just do a little bit at a time don't worry about the timeline people understand! And the ones who don't OH WELL! Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually enjoy a handwritten thank you card, it's becoming a lost art. My baby shower was yesterday and they were all done by the time I went to bed, with a two year old running around, my husband didn't help me and my mother here going through gifts.

People took time out of their day to come to my shower, it was 106 degrees yesterday and it wasn't much to make it a priority in air conditioning to write them when I got home.

Regardless of outside pressures if it's important to you you will find time to do it
  • I agree that thank you cards are super important. But here I am... Messing around in this board stalling/ procrastinating on getting thank you cards done!
    Back to work!!
  • I'm waiting until the baby arrives. Take a picture of him with baby blocks spelling out thank you. Then mailing them. I feel that this way they are more inclined to keep them =)

I still really like this!! My moms throwing my baby shower and she feels that part of doing so is buying me the thank you cards as well (so I don't have to spend any money)
    I told her about this idea and we both love it! She's also having everyone decorate onesies and sign them at the shower. So I am definitely going to do this and have the onesie in the picture as well. (There 3-9 months, so they won't fit just yet.. And some people will probably buy her an outfit so I will put her in it and have the thank you written on something or in there some how)
    It's so cute and personalized and they get to see her with what they bought.
  • areseearesee member
    For anyone who hasn't had their shower yet, I left out a notepad and asked everyone to write down their address, even if they thought I had it already. Today when I sat down to make my thank you note list, I only had to track down a couple addresses.
  • Yes! I hate Thank You cards (or any cards in general). To me it is a waste of resources and you know it's just going to be thrown away and whatever is written in it is going to be quite generic. My baby shower I hugged and thanked everyone that was still there (a few had to leave before we got to the present opening) and we called up most people personally to thank them, that way my hubby got to thank them also. My mum is a firm believer of Thank You cards though so I just wrote some out for my family and family friends and gave them in person or gave them to my mum to give to them when she sees them, I don't have people's addresses as many of them I either just know how to get there or haven't been to their place in years as we just do dinners out or they do stuff with my parents only. I think it's also a generational thing, my hubby's and my friends I know wouldn't care about receiving a card, we don't do birthday/Christmas cards not presents, we're just happy to get together and have a big celebration for any reason we can, I don't get why that can't be enough for the oldies :p
  • Not sure if this a faux pau or what, but for my sister's baby shower we had all the guests write in her guest book and then on a mailing envelope their name and address. That way if my sister didn't have their address she was sure to send them a thank you note. (We did evites for her shower so we didn't need addresses before). 

I have also heard that etiquette is 2 weeks post the event is when to expect a thank you note, this was specifically for baby showers. Apparently it is 6 weeks for weddings. These are facts given to me by my MIL, she is very helpful when it comes to this sort of advice. She has also reminded me that the older generation, aka her mom and MIL, expect thank you phone calls immediately upon receiving the gift (since they can't make the actually shower) in addition to notes.

Everyone is different and difficult to please. Just know you are going to get those thank you notes out and if people complain they didn't received them the next day, you just have to let it go. You can't please everyone!  
  • I thanked everyone at the shower. I do not understand thank you cards and think they are a big waste of money. When I've got one before, I just threw it away. 
    I'm thinking I might send out birth announcements and have a little handwritten thing in it thanking for the gift. But I'm not even sure about that.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • areseearesee member
    zmombie said:

I'm waiting until the baby arrives. Take a picture of him with baby blocks spelling out thank you. Then mailing them. I feel that this way they are more inclined to keep them =)

I still really like this!! My moms throwing my baby shower and she feels that part of doing so is buying me the thank you cards as well (so I don't have to spend any money)
    I told her about this idea and we both love it! She's also having everyone decorate onesies and sign them at the shower. So I am definitely going to do this and have the onesie in the picture as well. (There 3-9 months, so they won't fit just yet.. And some people will probably buy her an outfit so I will put her in it and have the thank you written on something or in there some how)
    This sounds like an awesome idea, but so much work! Depends how many guests you have, but dressing the baby and taking individual photos sounds like way more effort than I have time for.

• areseearesee member
    zmombie said:

I'm waiting until the baby arrives. Take a picture of him with baby blocks spelling out thank you. Then mailing them. I feel that this way they are more inclined to keep them =)

This sounds like an awesome idea, but so much work! Depends how many guests you have, but dressing the baby and taking individual photos sounds like way more effort than I have time for.

dunn1678 said:

Not sure if this a faux pau or what, but for my sister's baby shower we had all the guests write in her guest book and then on a mailing envelope their name and address. That way if my sister didn't have their address she was sure to send them a thank you note. (We did evites for her shower so we didn't need addresses before). 

I have also heard that etiquette is 2 weeks post the event is when to expect a thank you note, this was specifically for baby showers. Apparently it is 6 weeks for weddings. These are facts given to me by my MIL, she is very helpful when it comes to this sort of advice. She has also reminded me that the older generation, aka her mom and MIL, expect thank you phone calls immediately upon receiving the gift (since they can't make the actually shower) in addition to notes.

Everyone is different and difficult to please. Just know you are going to get those thank you notes out and if people complain they didn't received them the next day, you just have to let it go. You can't please everyone!  
    I recently read somewhere that it was bad etiquette to have the guests write their addresses on envelopes.
    I, however, don't think it's a bad idea at all and saves endless phone calls trying to track down addresses. Especially considering my mom has invited a few of her friends that I may have met when I was little but wouldn't even know how to get in touch with.