July 2015 Moms
Options

DO I HAVE TO WASH EVERYTHING ?!

I got ALOT of clothes from the baby shower and all my friends are telling me I have to wash all her clothes but my mom and aunt said they never did that back in the 80s and we came out fine! Just wondering how serious I need to take this whole washing new clothes/ towels/ blankets /onesies thing?

Re: DO I HAVE TO WASH EVERYTHING ?!

• Options
    I'll be the first to be honest. I didn't wash a thing either... Oops! My baby is still alive and is now a toddler.
  • Options
    You do not have to do anything you don't want to. At the end of the day it is your child. If you are worried about contaminants on the clothing/towels/bedding then yes wash it but if you are not worried, your child will not suffer from wearing store bought clothing.
    I washed the clothes we have for our daughter because I did not want any traces of whatever had been on the clothes on her skin but that's just my personal choice
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I washed everything first, mainly because I wanted it to smell like fabric softener. Haha. Each to their own! ☺️
  • Options
    I washed everything with my first and left it all out on a washing rail to dry- it was so cute!! Second time round I washed some things but not all and this time I've only bought a handful of new things lol. It is recommended because you never really know it has been exposed to during the manufacturing process and whilst in the shops but I'm sure your baby will be absolutely fine regardless. I guess it depends on whether you wash your own clothes prior to wearing them for the first time, personally I don't bother x
  • Options
    I got my husband to do it, but we only washed the newborn clothes and blankets. I must say it is cute seeing the whole washing rail covered in small pink outfits. But it's probably not necessary.
  • Options
    I washed everything. I wash my own clothes before wearing them also. It removes the chemicals they treat the clothing with to prevent bugs from destroying them, removes excess dye, plus any germs from who ever handled them in the factory/store. I personally feel itchy after trying on new clothes I can't imagine putting my child in them without washing first. Lol I even washed the car seat fabric today.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/gma-found-clothes-clean/story?id=9482373
  • Options
    mers90mers90 member

I washed everything. I wash my own clothes before wearing them also. It removes the chemicals they treat the clothing with to prevent bugs from destroying them, removes excess dye, plus any germs from who ever handled them in the factory/store. I personally feel itchy after trying on new clothes I can't imagine putting my child in them without washing first. Lol I even washed the car seat fabric today.

I wash everything for the same reason, I know the chemical they use to prevent it from wrinkling is really bad for your skin and I wouldn't like her getting a rash or something being so little! I only wash my new underwear but having ultra sensitive skin I should wash all my new clothes too.
  • Options
    mers90mers90 member
    And also, I'm pretty sure that what they use now and what they used in the 80s is Probably not the same stuff!
  • Options
    Bugs1718Bugs1718 member
    edited June 2015
    I did with the first and this one too. I have sensitive skin and would hate to have my newborn breakout.

When DD was 4 months old, we took her for pictures and I couldn't find an outfit at home that worked (she had just moved up from 3 month size clothes and all I had was onesies and sleepers) so we stopped at Kohls on the way and picked up something cute. Obviously I didn't wash it and I figured it would be fine because she would only be in it for a short time. Wrong, pictures went fine but afterward, she had a rash basically where the top touched her. I took her to her doc the next day and he said it was a contact rash from coming into contact with something that bothered her skin.

Always wash everything since then, it made me feel terrible.
  • Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member
    I'm going to wash her clothes, but in not washing everything until she gets home. I'm not sure what size she will be in and were gifted a ton of clothes, so I want to be able to make exchanges if necessary.
  • Options
    THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK GUYS AND FOR SHARING THAT WEBSITE LINK OMG!! AFTER READING THAT ABC ARTICLE IM GONNA START WASHING EVERYTHING THAT WAS A TRUE EYE OPENER!! :!!
  • Options
    I'm just going to wash the newborn clothes and then wait until he grows before washing the other sizes we received.
  • Options
    I got most of my baby clothes used sp I definitely washed them
  • Options
    I'm doing the same thing as far as washing a few of newborn and a few 0-3 m. Then once we see what size she wears, I'll wash the rest. I'm just afraid to pop the tags off all the newborn size until she is here!
  • Options
    Wash your baby's clothes.
  • Options
    Plus, everything is so tiny, it doesn't take too many loads to get everything done :) 
  • Options
    Also, if your gonna wash em, mid as well wash them all in hypoallergenic soap to be extra safe.
  • Options

Also, if your gonna wash em, mid as well wash them all in hypoallergenic soap to be extra safe.

I already use hypoallergenic due to my husband's skin condition. I think it makes more sense to buy that than to buy the Deft baby only laundry detergent
  • Options
    I washed most of my stuff, but not all. I washed his clothes and bedding, but not other things like certain blankets or bibs.
  • Options
    You don't "have" to wash them.. But baby could have an allergic reaction the the clothing or something.. Which won't (I don't believe) kill them! Just be uncomfortable... I personally wash everything!!! And sterilized and re wash.. Lol I'm overly paranoid and told to chill out a lot.
  • Options

Okay take back what I said! I am not paranoid. And yes not washing babies clothes can Be more harmful then an allergic reaction...
    This was disturbing to read! I wash all my babies clothing before they wear it.. But my older kids and I don't wash new clothes... (Because there new..) but ew!!!! Now I am paranoid!