June 2015 Moms

GBS positive support group

2»

Re: GBS positive support group

• :-bd (bumping up useful threads to get the bad ones off page 1)
  • zxxiv2zxxiv2 member
    Gbs+ here too. My doctor kept stressing that it's not a big deal and very common. I just worry about the same things as you girls do water breaking and not getting to the hospital in time to get the antibiotic etc. but im sure we will all be in good hands when the time comes! However I did not know that the antibiotic was painful. One more bit of pain on delivery day is like one more bill when your drowning in debt! Not wanted but it won't make a difference anyway!
  • Loading the player...
  • jesshrou said:
    Found out I was positive at last weeks visit and cried in the office and the way home. Yay hormones. I want to do the labor tub and the shower and I'm so worried this has messed it all up. I need to clarify this week when exactly I need to head to the hospital since I was planning on laboring mostly at home.

*******BOX********

In my birth class, we were told that if you'rie GBS+ you just can't be in the tub after your water breaks.  You can shower if you want, and you can be in the tub before your water breaks.  When i asked my doctor if i had to go to the hospital immediately if my water broke at home, she said not to be too crazy about it...she said if you want to go home, get your stuff, and then head in, you're fine.  Most of the time you'll still be at the hospital for 4+ hours after your water breaks, so it's plenty of time to get the meds.
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    I felt no pain at all... If you do the nurse can dilute it so it should not be something to worry about!
  • I was GBS positive with my son and I don't remember the antibiotics hurting at all.
  • zxxiv2 said:

Gbs+ here too. My doctor kept stressing that it's not a big deal and very common. I just worry about the same things as you girls do water breaking and not getting to the hospital in time to get the antibiotic etc. but im sure we will all be in good hands when the time comes! However I did not know that the antibiotic was painful. One more bit of pain on delivery day is like one more bill when your drowning in debt! Not wanted but it won't make a difference anyway!

That's what my doctor told me too, that it's not a big deal unless it's in your urine. She said to try and not stress about it. But how can I not, I want my baby to be in perfect health. Also if you search on Google, so many comments and websites talking about what can happen, that I get freaked out.
  • Please noone worry about GBS. I spoke to my doctor and midwife at length about it. They explained to me that it's a transient bacteria - you may not even have it even if you tested positive because it comes and goes so quickly. I'm in the UK and no one here even gets tested because the risks are so minimal and if there is actually a problem then it can be managed well at that point. My midwife was surprised I even knew what GBS was. Please don't anyone be anxious about it.
  • If anything, you should be more worried if you tested negative at 36 weeks. You could develop the bacteria before delivery and not get any antibiotics. If you will be treated, try to relax.

Since it is transient, if there was a significant risk all delivering moms would get antibiotics regardless. Even if labor is fast and you don't get the antibiotics, your risk is low. The hospital knows what to watch for, you will be well taken care of. Step away from the Google!

The only downside if you test negative and don't have enough time to get antibiotics is that you can't get an early release from the hospital because they want the extra time to monitor LO. NBD.
  • I'm worried that my baby will develop it days (months) after (late-onset GBS), how will I know that's what's wrong...
  • @mghershkowitz Our peds doctors only ever mention that within 24 hrs the babe will be crashing...... They have NEVER mentioned late onset. I don't think it's a thing..... I can definitely ask but I really don't think it's an issue.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited June 2015
    Well I'm back to respond.... After some searching I see there is a late onset GBS in babies .... Usually diagnosed after 1 week of life.
    Article stated that early onset IS the most common....
    I guess I never thought about it because our doctors never mention it.
    We take blood cultures on the babies whose mothers are unknown or not treated during labor. Those blood cultures would grow and you would be notified either way so I would not worry!
    Hope that's a little more clear. @mghershkowitz
  • ElRubyElRuby member

I'm worried that my baby will develop it days (months) after (late-onset GBS), how will I know that's what's wrong...

Also... I believe the research suggests that it is difficult to determine if late onset GBS is directly related to birth as babies can pick up the bacteria from another source (like the hospital)... Not sure if that relieves or augments your fears but it seems like it may be one of those scary realities of the unknowns ...
  • I finally got clarification from my dr on when to come in. Head to the hospital immediately if my water breaks and then the 5-1-1 rule if no water breaks.
  • We did not make it to the hospital in time for me to get into a gown, never mind antibiotics! We were worried about the group B strep, but the Dr said the risk is even lower when babies travel through the birth canal so quickly. Both went home today and he is doing great! They did say if there was a high risk and I hadn't been able to receive antibiotics during labor that baby would have received prophylactic antibiotics.
  • ElRuby said:

I'm worried that my baby will develop it days (months) after (late-onset GBS), how will I know that's what's wrong...

Also... I believe the research suggests that it is difficult to determine if late onset GBS is directly related to birth as babies can pick up the bacteria from another source (like the hospital)... Not sure if that relieves or augments your fears but it seems like it may be one of those scary realities of the unknowns ...
    I'm just hoping I get there in time to get antibiotics and hope that the baby doesn't get the bacteria. :-<