clefts — The Bump
Special Needs

clefts

Just wondering if there are any other cleft parents here. My 3 month old has her first surgery coming up and just looking for parents who have been there or are going through the same things

Re: clefts

• rsd12rsd12
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments Photogenic 5 Love Its
    My oldest 9 yrs old was born with a unilateral complete cleft lip and palate! Anything I can help answer? The first year was very tough but since then things have been quite normal even with additional surgeries!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • How did your baby feed after lip repair? And did the arm restraints bother them. Thank you in advance. Surgery is next Thursday and the closer it gets the more I dread it.
  • rsd12rsd12
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments Photogenic 5 Love Its
    After lip repair we were able to go right back to the bottles. We used the pigeon system which worked really well for us!

I was surprised by the arm restraints. They worked very well, hard to keep on at that age but I am glad we used them. When our son had a revision at the age of 4 we used them again (just at night, worried he would accidentally grab at his face).

I think the hardest part was mourning the cleft lip. I loved his cleft smile! It is so much harder on us at this age than on our babies. Good luck!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Thank you. I know that is my worry. I love her unique smile and although I know its best for her I don't want it to change. Just a few more days to enjoy it.