Baby Showers

invite wording

For the babyshower, I am putting minimal items on my registry.
I know the limited registry is gonna drive the some people nuts lol
but in your pleasant opinion,idk how to ask this the right way but
Is there a way to word the invites so that party goers (if they are worried about the registry dealio) can ease their minds with other options?
Ie, bring diapers, wipes, w.e. they want kind of thing?

Re: invite wording

• ^^ this.

And even if you are ballsy (read: rude) enough to put on the invites what to purchase, it doesn't mean that people are going to pay attention to it. They are going to buy what they want to buy. I went to a baby shower a few years ago where the mother to be had enough clothes to clothe an army of little boys (all hand me downs from several nephews). The host of her shower had mentioned on the invite that due to the generosity of family members, the baby had a wardrobe that covered sized newborn-2T. She still got 75% clothing, all newborn-6mo size, and all of that jazz. 

So just register for items you would like, don't make any mention in the invite, and leave it at that. If I get an invite like that, I will usually go for something on the registry first. If I don't find anything I want to buy on the registry, I give a gift card for the store they are registered at, so they can use it towards something they need (like one of the bigger ticket items). 

Asking for diapers and wipes on the invite (registry is fine), is just as bad as having a diaper raffle in my opinion. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • futonfuton member
    Not answering my question. Like if u were a guest invited...would u just prefer a reg. Invitation w the registry slip inside?
  • futonfuton member
    edited June 2015
    @Elsa1984
    Awesome thankyou for the insight.
    I was thinking what you said too but just needed to be reassured
  • I feel that you should put what you want on the registry to use as a guide for yourself. I didn't put any clothes on the registry and I got a ton of clothing in addition to the items I needed. People will buy what they want regardless.
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    futon said:

Not answering my question. Like if u were a guest invited...would u just prefer a reg. Invitation w the registry slip inside?

Your question was answered very well.
  • futonfuton member
    Did you actually read all the posts? My question was answered.
    Also, its better to post things with helpful contentoso others with the same question that I had can get some advice.
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    futon said:

Did you actually read all the posts? My question was answered.
    Also, its better to post things with helpful contentoso others with the same question that I had can get some advice.

Yeah. I actually did. I was wondering why you were being so snarky/defensive. Whatever.
  • futon said:
    Did you actually read all the posts? My question was answered. Also, its better to post things with helpful contentoso others with the same question that I had can get some advice.
    You received posts with helpful content. ALL of them. So mission accomplished?
  • If people are so against planning your own shower/ being involved in the planning of your shower why bother being on this board? So rude.

OP- I suggest word of mouth to let people know that you welcome simple items that will be essential for your LO like wipes, diapers, etc. I think you can actually add those to your registry too. I know you can even add gift cards, they usually add them in automatically.
  • @didi808 People are here because they happen to enjoy showers, and also are aware of the proper etiquette surrounding them. Just because you disagree, doesn't make anyone else here rude.
  • The way people responded to OP was definitely rude. She even referred to it as snarky and clearly felt they were rude.
    I am also entitled to my own opinion and it just so happens to be that the replies were rude. :)
  • didi808 said:

The way people responded to OP was definitely rude. She even referred to it as snarky and clearly felt they were rude.
    I am also entitled to my own opinion and it just so happens to be that the replies were rude. :)

You know what else is rude? Digging up dead threads to complain about the responses being rude.
  • It was on the first page.
  • I would just register and let the guests figure out the rest. I went to a shower where my niece had a large registry, maybe 200 items. She had 100 guests, she only got about 50 things off her registry. So many people bought cute girly clothes and didn't even bother with the registry. And people will do the same for you. I on the other hand had about 120 items on my list and got about 100 of them. My friends and family have been amazing.