February 2016 Moms

What food will you miss the most?

I've only known for about a week I'm PG so I've been doing a LOT of reading on what I can and can't eat since this is our first. 

It bums me out because my love affair with queso dip is temporarily ending. It was mocking me yesterday when I went to lunch at Moe's Southwest. 

Re: What food will you miss the most?

• Medium rare steaks, cheese, beer and coffee!

• Loading the player...
  • I still eat and drink just about everything that I want to (in moderation), but I'll miss wine. :P
  • je5sc0je5sc0 member
    Dr.Pepper :(
  • I'm eating everything, so nothing? I will miss beer, but will probably have a few sips here and there. And after a couple of months, I don't really miss it anymore.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    I was freaking myself out this pregnancy for some reason. Now that I have calmed down, I won't be giving up anything that isn't a problem for my diabetes. I haven't in other pregnancies either.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Real sushi....
  • LMMamaLMMama member
    I don't miss too many foods. Real sushi I suppose. I'll miss wine and beer most of all.
  • I'll miss beer, wine and hot dogs this summer. But why can't you eat queso? Even if it happens to be made with unpasteurized cheese, it's served hot, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @inomniaparatus - Why aren't you going to eat hot dogs?

Cheese is rarely unpasturized in the US. Even soft cheese. Eat the queso.

As for sushi - luckily I live in an area where there is an abundance of fresh seafood, so I'm not worried (even about the raw stuff) as long as the place I'm going to is reputable. 

I do limit caffeine in first tri, just because at high levels, it has been linked to miscarriages in first tri.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• edited June 2015
    That's what I was thinking but figured I'd err on the safe side. Everything I'd read online said to avoid it.

This is PRECISELY why I'm on here now because i'm such a newb to all things baby. You'll all have to be my Yodas

and yes, sushi! I just started eating and liking it too.
  • wagvanwagvan member
    Nothing. I don't eat bait when I get sushi. I only do tempura shrimp or veggie rolls. Everything else is fine. Medium rare steak is fine, and I just won't get undercook burgers and my beer and wine drinking is pretty rare not pregnant. I have spent more of my adult life pregnant than not pregnant, so this is no biggie.
    Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
    mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
    K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • dz28dz28 member
    BEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!
  • Alcohol. All I want during summer is a cold beer. Or wine. I'm going to really miss wine. Everything else doesn't bother me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • g0lightly8706g0lightly8706 member
    edited June 2015
    i also am not cutting much out of my diet besides the raw things.. though i will miss a nice yummy deli sammich. definitely missing alcohol too, i was a big party girl before and i knew it would be coming soon, and as i happy as my body is being sober.. i definitely miss that cocktail while with friends!
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Alcohol and my usual 3rd cup of coffee. I'll still have a small drink here and there but it's just not the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • magnumJ said:

@inomniaparatus - Why aren't you going to eat hot dogs?

Cheese is rarely unpasturized in the US. Even soft cheese. Eat the queso.

As for sushi - luckily I live in an area where there is an abundance of fresh seafood, so I'm not worried (even about the raw stuff) as long as the place I'm going to is reputable. 

I do limit caffeine in first tri, just because at high levels, it has been linked to miscarriages in first tri.

I'll eat them if they're nitrate free. But nitrates...

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and diet coke! Duh! That's my biggest thing I'll miss - diet freakin coke

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and diet coke! Duh! That's my biggest thing I'll miss - diet freakin coke
    Someone will have to pry the Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi, as I oddly prefer it when pregnant) out of my cold, dead fingers. 

I do limit it when pregnant (due to the caffeine), though.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Wine... deliciously sweet white wine...
    28yo, TTC#2 since 6/2014
    Kiddo #1 = 10 cycles of trying, 1 CP and is now a toddler
    TTC#2 since 2/2017

• magnumJ said:

Oh and diet coke! Duh! That's my biggest thing I'll miss - diet freakin coke

Someone will have to pry the Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi, as I oddly prefer it when pregnant) out of my cold, dead fingers. 

I do limit it when pregnant (due to the caffeine), though.

I am a full out addict but have been able to give it up. It was important to my husband too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You're probably thinking "queso fresco" which is a Mexican soft cheese. Queso that you eat with chips is not the same thing. Eat it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You're probably thinking "queso fresco" which is a Mexican soft cheese. Queso that you eat with chips is not the same thing. Eat it.
    And if it's served in a restaurant, even queso fresco is going to be pasteurized. Restaurants aren't going to risk getting people sick.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Liz726Liz726 member
    edited June 2015
    WINE. There's an unopened bottle of my favorite resiling on my kitchen counter looking at me with big sad puppy dog eyes. When it comes to food, though, mostly I'll just miss digesting it without intestinal discomfort  :)) (sorry if that's TMI)
  • Not TMI @Liz726. Things are generally not TMI here (even if they would be elsewhere) as most pregnancy-related things would be considered TMI. I'm sure we'll have a weekly poop thread soon enough :)

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• I miss my hard cider ..... and I'm still not sure I can really give up lunch meat - that was my staple snack food!  I'm trying, but I don't know if 9 months without it is really possible.
  • NutMeg474 said:
    I miss my hard cider ..... and I'm still not sure I can really give up lunch meat - that was my staple snack food!  I'm trying, but I don't know if 9 months without it is really possible.
    No reason to give up lunch meat as long as you do it at home (since you're likely to keep it in the fridge) and if you eat out, you do so at a reputable place. The most recent listeria outbreaks have been other foods (like ice cream, most recently) and I'm sure you're not going to give that up :)

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Wine. And beer.
    I used to eat sushi (the raw stuff) at least twice a week and will definitely be cutting back a lot. Maybe once a month.
    I'm switching to half-caff coffee next week and I just know it's not going to be the same. :(
  • twinmom1121twinmom1121 member
    edited June 2015
    I don't drink alcohol, caffeine (since pregnant with my twins and bf) and don't like sushi so I guess I won't really miss anything! I try not to eat too much deli meat while pregnant. So that's really the only thing I'll miss just a little :)
    Edit for spelling.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only thing I will really miss is my fall beers (I love pumpkin beer!!!). Non food related I will miss the good over the counter drugs! Zyrtec D for allergies. The good cold medicine with pseudoephedrine. I sound like a crack head but I will legit miss those if I get a cold!
    #2 EDD: 2/3/16
    DS Born: 10/11/13

• PaniaOPaniaO member
    Wine and sushi.

And, on the related tangent of vices, pot. To be honest.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Liz726Liz726 member
    @magnumJ, good to know. And if a week poop thread should manifest...I'm in.  =D>
  • I'll miss never having to run through a small checklist when eating/drinking.

I've only known for about a week I'm PG so I've been doing a LOT of reading on what I can and can't eat since this is our first. 

It bums me out because my love affair with queso dip is temporarily ending. It was mocking me yesterday when I went to lunch at Moe's Southwest. 
    Oh my god thank you for mentioning queso. I am super hungry but so nauseous that NOTHING is appealing. Until I saw the word queso - like a beacon on my screen lighting my way to deliciousness. That's it. That's what I'm getting on my way home. Fuck yeah, queso.
  • Hotdogs and beer this summer! And wine for sure. I'm also a (hangs head in shame) coffee addict. Fortunately the food aversion has made the coffee withdrawal easier. I can trick myself with decaf!
  • Wine. I won't stop eating any food lol