December 2015 Moms

Investing in Baby Furniture - Worth it or Not?

hardlyhannahhardlyhannah member
edited June 2015 in December 2015 Moms
So I have been looking around the internet for nursery furniture, and I am curious on what everyone else's thoughts are on this. Do you think it's worth it to invest $500+ in really good furniture, or is the average priced stuff at Target or Buy Buy Baby just as good?

ETA: Expensive = $500+ per piece, not total! I understand that it will probably be like $1000 or so to do basic furnishing almost anywhere

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

Investing in Baby Furniture - Worth it or Not? 91 votes

Yes, the expensive furniture is better
19% 18 votes
Nah, the 'big box' stuff serves the purpose just fine
80% 73 votes

Re: Investing in Baby Furniture - Worth it or Not?

• Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited June 2015
    $500 is less than average. Even if you went to target and buy buy baby. The crib alone is $300 and the cheapest glider they carry is about $200. That's already $500.

If you want higher end I think Pottery Barn is nice. But you will be spending much much more than $500.

What pieces of furniture are you thinking about getting?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally want to spend a bit more for the things I know I will use for a long time. We are buying a 4 in one crib which converts to a double bed down the road and a decent dresser because they'll use it forever. Any other furniture I'll just go cheaper.
  • Loading the player...
    edited June 2015
    So it's hard to answer your poll! Trick question lol. I think big box store furniture is fine. It's still expensive though. Tip: Amazon Usually has the same stuff for a better price. Always shop around for the best price when you find an item you want.

• I was thinking more like $500+ per piece like I have seen with some cribs and dressers - not total. Versus the $230 crib at target or whatever. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• We bought a used 4 in 1 crib with changer from a neighbor, and I love it! It's normally $400+. I think used stuff is great as long as it is in line with the safety regulation changes that occurred in 2011. We ended up splurging on the matching dresser (new), but that's something that will last them for a very long time.

I think you just kind of have to pick and choose what to splurge on since most of us aren't rich! :)
  • tesarytesary member
    I like quality made furniture that will last. It doesn't bother me if it is new or used. I love getting items at estate sales and refinishing them.
  • I'd go middle of the road with dressers that start out as changing tables. The thing with cribs and hoping to grow with them is that the kids destroy them! Bite marks along the crib aren't cute into middle school ;) I spent about $250 on my daughters crib, my son used it and it's set up as a toddler bed now and he hulked the shit out of it. So it's broken, lol. I'm planning on getting a fairly cheap crib for this one and once she transitions out of the crib she'll just go into a twin or full. 

I second this. We had grand intentions for our expensive furniture. After only one baby, we sold it, because it couldn't be used as a headboard like we planned. Kids destroy stuff, unfortunately.
    edited June 2015

I was thinking more like $500+ per piece like I have seen with some cribs and dressers - not total. Versus the $230 crib at target or whatever. 

Ahh got it!! So I guess it depends on how many more children you will be having. More expensive usually means higher quality so it will last through a few children. Or if you plan on it being a 4-1 so it grows with LO (which is what I have) then you could also pick more expensive for quality. But if you're getting a crib and plan on having one child and then in 2 years giving it away.... then big box furniture will do!

The one I have is nice and it only cost $300. It will grow with my LO. I bought it on wayfair.com. It's very nice quality and a great price!

• The only advice I have is based on my experience. We bought an $800 4-in-1 crib and it literally looks like it was gnawed on by a pack of beavers. We definitely won't be using it beyond the toddler bed stage. So make sure you put protectors on the crib rails! Teething babies can do serious damage.

Ahh I never thought of the chewing thing! My DS has never chewed on the bed .....YET! His teeth are all in and he's 19 months. Is this something they do even at 2 or 3 years old? Or am I just lucky he never did it?

• At 2 years old my son decided it was fun to bang his toys against the crib, so there's plenty of dents. 
  • This is all great feedback!

We want a convertible crib to a toddler bed, but don't plan on using it beyond that - we don't have space for our kids to have full beds, they will be in twin beds. That being said ideally we would use the crib at least for two babies. So it's probably worth getting something a little nicer, along with the dresser. Makes sense that the changing table is less important to last long.

These babies are overwhelming, so many decisions to make.

Pregnancy Ticker

• april172010Uapril172010U member
    edited June 2015
    I bought a way cute/nice crib for my daughter, $700. It was wood. I told myself it was worth it because it was a crib, converts to toddler bed and then twin bed, so I figured she'd have it for at least 10 years. I didn't realize babies bite things, chew things, scratch things. Anyway, when I was expecting my second (this is my third and final child) I realized I'd never use the crib as a twin because the bite marks made it look tacky and ended up buying my daughter a new twin. However, because it was so sturdy, I'll use the crib a third time, so it's getting use. Good luck with your decision!
  • Not worth it, buy the cheap stuff. But that's just my life motto lol.
  • KTinCarolinaKTinCarolina member
    edited June 2015
    I bought an expensive crib for my son which he NEVER used (we ended up cosleeping..never say never ;) ) so that was a waste. Then I went on to buy a toddler bed which he outgrew so fast it wasn't worth the cost. I also bought a changing table to match said expensive crib which was rarely used... We used the couch, bed etc. My advice: get a nice dresser that will grow with your child and use as a changing table. And go straight from crib to twin/double bed and save yourself $!
                                      Our sweet Daughter!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Whatever you do definitely shop around and be on the lookout for sales and coupons. I like higher quality furniture overall that lasts longer. For my first we got a crib from pottery barn on sale for less than $400 and a dresser/changing table combo for about the same. We use both still and thankfully my daughter has been gentle enough with everything that it's still in great condition 2 yrs later. We were planning on converting the crib to a bed but now we'll just use it for the second baby and get my oldest a toddler bed. We also found a bookcase on way fair for less than $150 that I added a rod to and made into a little closet for her dresses since we don't have a regular closet for her. You can mix and match things and be creative too.
  • Nobody has mentioned Wayfair.com you can get EVERYTHING there from Kim K's $6500 crib to the very very basic.

My heart is set on an upholstered velvet crib from Restoration Hardware so yes, it is expensive but it will match the rest of my home so worth it for me :-)
  • Some things I want to buy such as new car seat, RnP, maybe stroller. For the rest, I'm definitely following about 6 Facebook garage sales and checking craigslist. There's so much baby stuff people sell that is in perfectly good condition; babies grow so fast that it's not like you're using the items for a super long time. DH and I are skipping over the changing table (as so many have told us it's not worth it), and we bought a beautiful $50 dresser that we are painting and throwing new hardware on, then throwing a changing pad on the top! He loves it because him and my dad have made it their project for our little baby..it was really cute to see them working away on it. Anyways, it really all depends on your preferences for your nursery. What I can find second hand that matches up with what I want, I buy...if not, I'll buy it new. It's never a bad idea to look around and try to save yourself some money!!
  • RSB1982RSB1982 member
    edited June 2015
    Anyone have any experience with Ikea furniture? You can get a crib for less than 200. I looked at them online, they look a little on the cheap side. I do like the idea of buying an ikea dresser and then painting/fixing it up in a few years. There are some really cute ikea hack ideas online where basic ikea pieces are completely transformed.

Edited for spelling error.
  • We bought a nice crib and dresser that we will use for this one two. This is our third child and yes it has chew marks all over it luckily I got a crib rail cover that covers it up but it's pink this one may be a boy. I have no advice as far as cheap versus expensive but I will tell you we didn't buy a changing table my pack n play has a chnging area on it and once we outgrow that I just put a waterproof changing pad on the bed Nd change them there find that much easier. We never bought a diaper genie I always save my bags from the grocery store and put the poops in those and take them straight out. We also neverused a toddler bed we put a twin mattress on the floor that way if they roll off bed not falling far once we felt confident they were staying in bed we would put box springs under that. Eventually when we are ready for a real bed we let them pick one out they like. Just what has worked well for us with our first two.
    edited June 2015

Nobody has mentioned Wayfair.com you can get EVERYTHING there from Kim K's $6500 crib to the very very basic.

My heart is set on an upholstered velvet crib from Restoration Hardware so yes, it is expensive but it will match the rest of my home so worth it for me :-)

Lol I'm pretty sure I mentioned wayfair.com :P

• I am a self-confessed furniture snob, but with my older two I definitely went the cheap route for nursery decor - repurposed dressers, bought off Craigslist, and their crib (they are 5 years apart so I used it twice) was maybe $100.  My philosophy is that babies are only using their nursery stuff for two years, I'd rather take that money and buy really nice furniture for them to use from age 2 until they leave for college.  
  • RSB1982 said:

Anyone have any experience with Ikea furniture? You can get a crib for less than 200. I looked at them online, they look a little on the cheap side. I do like the idea of buying an ikea dresser and then painting/fixing it up in a few years. They are some really cute ikea hack ideas online where basic ikea pieces are completely transformed.

Almost our entire house is furnished with IKEA. They sell plenty of quality furniture- my advice is just to avoid particleboard and go for the real wood. We are getting the Sundvik crib for $119. It converts to a toddler bed, and has excellent ratings!
  • rain0831bowwrain0831boww member
    edited June 2015
    I will probably go middle price range. I want to get a convertible crib and dresser and see if it will last depending on wear and tear.

Nobody has mentioned Wayfair.com you can get EVERYTHING there from Kim K's $6500 crib to the very very basic. My heart is set on an upholstered velvet crib from Restoration Hardware so yes, it is expensive but it will match the rest of my home so worth it for me :-)
    I love everything RH. Wish I could furnish my entire house with it.
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• @Acroskey5, thanks, I think we may look into Ikea as well.  I just hate the thought of spending all this money on cute/expensive furniture to have it chewed on (which I had never even thought about until I read this post!).
  • I wish there had been a 3rd option. I'm actually planning on trying to do Craigslist for a lot of our furniture. I love the higher quality products, but I'm a clearance rack shopper by nature. I'll be cruising the CL ads from the higher income neighborhoods in Tampa. I've already looked around and there is a TON of great stuff (Pottery Barn Kids, etc) that people sell. 
  • taysuntaysun member
    @RSB1982 my mum and I love Ikea, her whole bedroom set is Ikea and she's had it almost ten years.
    While we plan on putting a more expensive furniture set (around $400 or less a piece) on our registry because my mother wants us to, indicating she or one of my more well off family members might purchase them. But if no one does we plan on Ikea pieces that are around $100 each.
  • taysuntaysun member
    @Acroskey5 that's the crib we will get if my mother decides not to help out with furniture and I second the bit about avoiding particalboard, the wood bedroom set we have is the one that's last almost ten years!
  • @fashiongirlsteph, thanks for the FYI.  I will definitely read some consumer reports before purchasing anything.  
  • Mine doesn't, but I've seen other people who have kids that chew on their cribs and just have bite marks everywhere.
  • Acroskey5 said:

RSB1982 said:

Anyone have any experience with Ikea furniture? You can get a crib for less than 200. I looked at them online, they look a little on the cheap side. I do like the idea of buying an ikea dresser and then painting/fixing it up in a few years. They are some really cute ikea hack ideas online where basic ikea pieces are completely transformed.

Almost our entire house is furnished with IKEA. They sell plenty of quality furniture- my advice is just to avoid particleboard and go for the real wood. We are getting the Sundvik crib for $119. It converts to a toddler bed, and has excellent ratings!
    This^^ That's the one I'm getting too! My sister bought the Urban Living Louise 4 in 1 and returned it for the Sundvik from IKEA. It was a pain in the ass to put together but who cares as long as you do it right. I personally find it relaxing to put on some music and put ikea furniture together.

Also they have the coolest changing tables and dressers to where you can cheaply afford both for less than one anywhere else.
  • Wanted to add though my friend is a stocking manager at Walmart and she said the cribs they sell at stores like that (Walmart, Target, Meijer, etc) have a ridiculous amount of recalls come through each year. Keep that in mind! She said they have at least one every other month for cribs or pack n plays.
  • My DD never chewed on her crib... we had to get rid of it though because it is drop side so we have to get a new one.  We are going to get it on Amazon, they have really nice ones at around $200, which is fine.  I wouldn't invest in any other specific furniture though, if you are thinking of getting specific dresser, changing table etc... don't!  We have a huge counter in our bathroom that was perfect for DD as a changing table, and will be used for this one as well.  We just purchased a regular dresser that she can use her whole life... otherwise in a few years you are going to have all this furniture with no use.... unless you are planning on having several kids... it is just not worth it! 

Also if you want a chair or something for the nursery, make sure you can use it for other purposes after that first year, otherwise again, throwing money away.
  • I honestly think a changing table is a good investment. Mine was free from a family member but I'm so glad I have it. My DS is 19 mos old and I still change him on that every time. I couldn't imagine chasing him around on the floor or a counter top trying to change him! I'd go crazy! Plus sometimes he has blowouts and I'm always so thankful that the poop didn't end up anywhere else but the changing pad cover.

I've heard of people using a dresser with a changing pad and just using Velcro to secure the pad to the dresser. I think this is also a great idea, as long as it's a good height.

• We just bought an ikea crib yesterday. They felt super sturdy and it was only $99. Hopefully it holds up since this is our 1st and we would like to have 3-4 kiddos.
  • taysuntaysun member
    For people looking at Ikea,they have some convertible changing tables. One turns into a child's desk and another turns into a dresser. Maybe other places have things like this too? For people who like the idea of having a changing table and want to continue to get use out of it. I've seen a lot that look like you could use them as shelving or put fabric/plastic bins in them for storage or even move them into a closet or bathroom as extra storage if you have the room there.
  • I figured furniture would be around 2500 bedding around 800.
  • Like another poster said, i invested in a good chair for the nursery. It's an oversized cushioned glider/rocker. I bought it as a piece of furniture I can add to my home later, I love that it will be a special piece that I rocked all my babies in.