April 2015 Moms

Constipation-kind of TMI

My 4 week old seems like he's constipated and I feel so bad for him! He's just constantly trying to push poop out and he usually doesn't get anything out besides a fart or a tiny bit of poop. He seems like he's so miserable! I'll probably end up having to call the pediatrician anyway, but what tips do any of you have for a constipated baby? He has pooped the past few days, but he has to really work at it and it's not as much as he usually poops. I've even had to use a q-tip and Vaseline and swirl it around in his butt to get some poop out but I want him to be able to poop by himself! I know this post is a little gross, I'm sorry!

Re: Constipation-kind of TMI

• RSupryRSupry member
    Try gripe water. Also if he is formula fed you might try switching to a different brand. My first had this issue and when we switched to similac soy he had a much easier time.
  • Prune juice concentrate, I think it's normally with the laxatives. Check with the doc first though.
  • Loading the player...
  • One ounce of cooled boiled water in a bottle and that will clear him right out and give him so much relief. Good Luck!
  • I am having the same problem with my son....he's breastfed and I don't what else I can cut out of my diet! Sometimes when he's really bad I'll give him a bit of similac sensitive and it helps a little with him being able to go easier it just gives him a funky odor.. I am going to try the gripe water, I bought some gas drops for him but the relief they give him is so short after an hour hes back to grunting and squirming and pushing. 

Please post when you find something that works! I'm eager to try and find my little guy some relief too :)
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! Everything I've tried works for a little but then he goes back to being constipated when I stop, so I think it's his formula. He was on enfamil for gassiness and fussiness, and after doing research I found that Gerber good start is easier to digest because the proteins are already broken down more than in normal formulas. I just started that last night so I guess I'll see how it works!
  • sounds like gas problems, my baby is the same way. seems like she's always trying to poop or fart and almost every diaper has a little bit of poop in it. she still has about 2 big poops a day. I've been giving has drops which work for a little bit but I think their digestion track is still developing. I'm taking her to the chiropractor next week and hoping that will help!