July 2015 Moms
Options

Nurses--- ((Nclex related))

bfstacybfstacy member
edited June 2015 in July 2015 Moms
venting and looking for encouragement...

So I graduated with my bsn in May (yay!) and have been studying both on my own and with virtual ati. I finally just got my email with the att so I can sign up for a testing date for the nclex. June is completely booked up in my town---the only date was the 23----I'll be 38weeks.

I was really hoping to sign up and test earlier but still feel I need to test before baby. I'm a super nervous test taker the way it is an plus this test is huge! I'm worried I'm going to be so uncomfortable sitting in one spot and have to pee every 15min. Plus heartburn or heaven forbid my water breaks while testing! Lol

Advice? Encouragement? Please tell me it doesn't take the full six hours...there's no way I can sit still so long and I know I'll need breaks to pee and stand but they're also distracting...
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Nurses--- ((Nclex related))

• Options
    If you are that pregnant they will try to sit you by the door so you can go for bathroom breaks. Your time keeps ticking but they will let you get up to use restroom or take off your sweater stretch etc. Mine shut off at 75 questions. To be honest it wasn't as bad as the kaplan reviews I used to study from. You can try looking at sites further away for more options but you should just take it and get it over with before the baby comes. Worst comes to worst you lose $200 and take it again while your on maternity leave. Good luck on it and congratulations!
  • Options
    jjames2014jjames2014 member
    edited June 2015
    I took it at 37 weeks and was fine. It took me 60 minutes and 75 questions. If you've been studying hard I would recommend taking it before baby. I was so glad to not have to worry about studying after giving birth! Good luck, it's not that bad!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine shut off at 80 questions but I do know people that had to sit for the duration. I'm 36 weeks now and know I would be really uncomfortable and probably distracted.

I agree with PP-look for a different location. It may be further away but at least you'll get it out of the way before baby can make their appearance.
  • Options
    When I took it I was done in 45 minutes. I recently finished grad school and sat for my board certification for that at 30 weeks. I was done with time to spare and was allowed bathroom breaks, it just kept counting down time
  • Options
    GoofyToasterGoofyToaster member
    edited June 2015
    I wasn't pregnant when I took mine but I was planning on a break an hour in and it shut off at 75 questions. That was about 45 minutes so I didn't even have my first break.
    In my state, they have you sign up for the day and time but then when there are cancelations and spots open up, you can move up if you want. And the closer the date is, then people drop out like flies even if its "booked" up. So look at all of the different locations and see if you can move your date up if there are cancelations.
    Otherwise, good luck with everything!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies! I'll see if anything opens up earlier but otherwise just plan on June 23 I guess. At least I have a spot before July! (Due date is the 8th).

Do they need to know ahead of time for the seating? I was half joking to hubby about seeing if I could bring an exercise ball to sit on instead but the testing center seems pretty intense.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    They will let you get up and go to the bathroom. The time it takes completely depends on how often you spend on each question, and how many questions you received. I received all possible questions so I took a few hours.
  • Options
    I don't think they would let you bring your own chair, they won't even let you take your sweater off. If you raise your hand they will come over and take your sweater for you or walk you out and let you stretch outside the room, or use the bathroom. You can definitely get up and you could get yourself comfortable before going back in. I took my time and was done with 75 questions in 45 mins-1 hour. Get there early so you can get a good seat. They let you start testing 30 minutes before your actual start time.
  • Options
    msmoleculemsmolecule member
    edited June 2015
    Is there a neighboring town or a city nearby that has a testing site with an opening sooner? If it's like an hour drive or something it might be worth it...