July 2015 Moms
Options

Breast feeding after breast reduction

has anyone had a breast reduction and then successful breast feeding? I did over 10 years ago and nervous I won't be able to produce. My surgeon was amazing so I'm hopeful! I appreciate anyone's experience or info

Re: Breast feeding after breast reduction

• Options
    I'm in the same boat, due at the end of May, so waiting to see.  Check out this site: https://www.bfar.org/index.shtml

My OB said there are currently two women with the clinic that are fully breast-feeding, but most have to supplement.   It depends on the type of surgery, basically, and how much tissues have both regenerated and reconnected.  The lactation nurse, unlike the website, did NOT recommend using a pump at all until milk was fully established (or as much as it can be).  She said the baby will stimulate everything way better than a pump.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you! I'd love to know how you make out if you'd like to email. Mmbrewington@gmail.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Following....have the same question...
  • Options
    I had one done in 2007. With my son, I didn't give as much effort into really trying to breast feed so he was formula fed (in 2009). With my daughter, I don't think I had a good supply because she was constantly cluster feeding. So after a week or two of trying, I gave up and formula fed her. I wish I would have pushed harder and didn't give up but it was just hard on my nipples (cracked & bled). That was in 2011. My supply was better than it was in 2009. If I pumped, I would get a good amount going. So I'm hoping that as the years go on, my boobs are getting better at supplying. :)
  • Options

Thank you! I'd love to know how you make out if you'd like to email. Mmbrewington@gmail.com

I will!  Seven weeks to go!  :)
  • Options
    I had a reduction 10 years before I had my son. I tried to breastfeed but had barely any milk. I also had latch issues. I do know people who have done it successfully and I am planning to try again this time.

My advice is to ask for a lactation consultant as soon as you get to the hospital and explain your situation. My LC was at my bedside right when my son was born and was very attentive. She helped a huge amount.

The website mentioned above was also helpful. I pumped after every feeding in the hospital to try and boost my supply as well as following some other advice from that website.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I didn't have it personally. But my aunt did. She was able to breastfeed for over a year. :)
  • Options
    etchyoo2etchyoo2 member
    edited April 2015
  • Options

So, my little girl was born the 22nd of May, happy and healthy, at 6lbs, 12 oz.  I had just started being able to express a little colostrum around the 20th of May.

In terms of 'my end' of the breastfeeding, everything is working out well - I was producing both colostrum, and then my milk came in fine.  My lo on the other hand has had some issues with feeding.  Mostly, she was a very sleepy baby, and no one could wake her up to eat - I ended up spending an extra day in hospital just to be sure she would feed.  I have been pumping then since the start, and using that milk to supplement what she feeds from me with as well.  I was using a feeding tube with either a finger feeding method (at the start when she wouldn't rouse to eat), or syringe, or now she primarily suctions the extra milk from the collection bottle.  My right nipple is a little flat, so she was having trouble latching at all on that side, so that was my 'pumped' side for the supplementation (and still is).  She is starting to latch there as well now sometimes, and I think as she simply gets a bigger mouth, it will be easier.  The last few days she's been drinking less of the supplemented milk, as she's getting fuller from the breast.

Weight gain was the main issue - she went down to 6lbs, 1 oz, and is back up to 6lb, 10oz and the doctor is satisfied with the rate.  She's a super, super active baby, so I think she burns off a lot of what she eats in a day anyway.  

Although I was seeming to produce enough milk, I did get recommended to try Mother's Milk herbal supplements and was prescribed domperidone to increase supply as well - it was felt faster flow/fewer sucks to swallow ratios would help weight gain too.  Both of these seem to be helping production, and since the domperidone can take two weeks to full effect there might be more yet.  My lactation consultant and doctor are both pleased, and they don't see that I will have any need to formula feed/supplement even in the future when she's at 'full amount' for feeding per day.

And, I've even been able to pump extra to start freezing for days Mom wants to go out and leave her with someone with a bottle.  I am definitely on strict no bottle/no pacifiers for now because of the latching issues.

Good luck to the rest of you!  Be sure to see a lactation consultant as often as you need to/can for help !