June 2015 Moms

Good news for Tricare moms! Breastpumps, finally!

I know this is a fairly limited use thread as there are more non military people in June moms, but this is huge news. And I was afraid if I stuck it under an established thread it might not be seen as well.
In short ladies, Tricare is finally done 'writing policies' on breastpumps, and it looks like we can finally be like everyone else - get a script, and go to a pharmacy or medical equipment provider and get one with no out of pocket cost! Huzzah!
I'm going to check with Tricare to be sure on Monday (its already past business hours where I am and we know you can't reach a soul on the weekend) but still... Huzzah!

https://m.military.com/daily-news/2015/06/05/new-tricare-policy-gives-free-breast-pumps.html
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Good news for Tricare moms! Breastpumps, finally!

• The website still shows the old policy (only for premature infantsinfants with a medical need, blah blah) but we all know that Tricare sucks at updating their webpage.
  • Yes I just read the article on FB!!! I'm really interested to see if they've worked out all the kinks for it. Also hoping it will work for the Moms that are in the military, I mean, common sense says it would but you never know lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah , exactly. When it comes to the military and Tricare you never know when common sense will apply. I just also read an article that said they are petitioning the army to write a policy about mandating a room for pumping for service moms. Apparently only the Army doesn't have a policy on it. Both that article and this breast pump one made me think of you, and I know we have another military spouse that is fairly active on the board, and I think another active duty mom, too.

Of course when I try to call on Monday I bet I will be on hold for HOURS. And you can email Tricare, but they say they will 'reply within 30 days'. Sure, that's helpful

8-|
  • Yes, the Army is the ONLY branch not to have a policy on breastfeeding and it's really upsetting. You really have to advocate for yourself when it comes to breastfeeding. I truly feel bad for the woman that haven't been in very long, or that are scared to speak to their chain of command because they don't think they will understand. Especially if you are in a predominantly male unit, eeeeeek! They just don't get it sometimes. Thankfully I won't have that issue.

I'll try giving them a call as well! If you get through can you post about your experience ?? I'll do the same! Lol
  • Yes I will post what I find out. DH is on duty this whole weekend and off on Monday, so if he has something for us going on I may not call till Tuesday, but I don't want to wait too long! If I wake up early with my normal pregsomnia wake up call i'll try to get in first calls of the morning before they get swamped on monday
  • Yay. Hopefully this is true cause I really don't wanna buy one.
  • Yay breast pumps!!! I hope it's legit and they're covered because those things are crazy high. Not to mention uh, hello, military women/wives breastfeed too. Not to sound like a jackass but aren't your benefits supposed to be the best?
  • Yeay!!! Best news I've heard today. I almost just bought some random pump today. Looks like I'll be calling on monday also.
  • devyns2nd said:

Yay breast pumps!!! I hope it's legit and they're covered because those things are crazy high. Not to mention uh, hello, military women/wives breastfeed too. Not to sound like a jackass but aren't your benefits supposed to be the best?

Hah...that was the best joke I've heard in a while ! Lol But in all seriousness they are good, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the best. I'm glad they're finally stepping it up though that's for sure.
  • @devyns2nd bwahahaha, yeah that WAS a good joke! Its...alright. There are pros and cons. I like it when I am able to see a regular doctor instead of on base medical. Seeing on base medical has always been a disaster for me and DH.

Well ladies, I got a message yesterday from another military spouse who said she was able to reach her Tricare provider before close of business yesterday and they still trotted out the same old line about its not covered except for premies with medical nessecity and all that bs. I still am going to call on Monday, since it IS Tricare we all know half the time the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, or the pointer finger doesn't know the middle finger is giving us the big eff you. The source for the article had to come from SOMEWHERE. We all know military.com is usually a reliable source of news and they wouldn't just throw that out there with no reasoning. So maybe they (tricare) need the weekend or the next business day (Monday) to get the memo from whomever up high about the change.

I'm still planning on calling on Monday and when I do if they tell me the same old line I'm going to ask whomever to have their supervisor check with higher ups. I know I won't get an answer right away that way, but if suddenly a lot of people within Tricare are asking questions it may help to spread the word down the line, you know?

Hopefully we'll have good news Monday or Tuesday. But I would advise calling before we all run out to the pharmacies
  • I saw a promotion for this on FB this morning and one of my military friends posted a link to the story....hope all you ladies get good news on Monday that its all legit!
  • Sorry I'm oblivious because I know no one in the military but as an American that depends on you or your spouse to protect me (and the insurance CEOs) I'd think they would give you a dang breast pump and the best coverage/care. That's frustrating.
  • So grateful for this and hoping we'll get reimbursed for our pump. We were really frustrated that even with our son being a premie in the NICU and a stack of scripts, paperwork etc from the doctors Tricare still refused to cover a pump for me (after being deemed medically necessary so my son could eat). Since he was just born a month ago I hope they'll reimburse us! On the plus side grateful for the coverage of the NICU expenses and husbands unit giving him a little extra time off.
  • @harpyogi it sounds like they should! I hope you get reimbursement for your supplies! We all may be in for quite a bit of phone calls in the next little bit here, but I'm feeling optimistic
  • Thanks for posting!!! We have tricare
  • devyns2nd said:
    Sorry I'm oblivious because I know no one in the military but as an American that depends on you or your spouse to protect me (and the insurance CEOs) I'd think they would give you a dang breast pump and the best coverage/care. That's frustrating.

I couldn't agree more, I hope it works out and that ya'll are able to get pumps covered.  It shouldn't even be a question of coverage.  Fingers crossed!
  • LB2846LB2846 member
    So happy for this! I'm sure the process will still be a pain to get one, but glad they finally are equal with other insurances. Happy about the LC visits too!!!

• All right, ladies. More googling today searching for the best place to call led me in a roundabout fashion to this page, which lists the benefits in breakdown and references the section # of the NDAA policy. I'm attaching the link so y'all can read for yourselves but it looks like we have to wait until July 1st when the new policy is implemented. That is why my friend was told the same song as usual when she called on Friday. So, we still have 22 days before we can take advantage of the new policy. However, reading the policy breakdown, it DOES say that we can purchase one and submit a claim for reimbursement (as long as we meet the requirements, reference the page for information).

For myself, I would probably rather try to wait and possibly rent a pump from the hospital for a few weeks, THEN wait until after implementation on July 1st to just go to a local provider and get one. But that's me, because I don't want to spend the $ outright and then wait to be reimbursed. But of course everybody's situation is different.

Here's the link
    https://breastfeedingincombatboots.com/?s=tricare&submit=Search
  • Also, there is a link on the above page that links directly to the online Tricare manual which shows the new coverage. So, its happening! Its in official government documentation!

• I'm active duty and I've been chasing this down for the last 3 months. I just got an email from my Dr. this morning, she'll put in a prescription for me to get one, but I have to wait to 1 Jul to get Tricare to cover it (otherwise I have to do a reimbursement). I had issues finding what a "Tricare" medical supplier/provider was. After calling Tricare (SOUTH for me), they pointed to their website where you could search for a medical provider or "durable medical supplier". I found one in my local area and I hope to go through after 1 Jul.

Link for the Tricare policy manual is https://manuals.tricare.osd.mil/DisplayManualFile.aspx?Manual=TP08&Change=136&Type=ChangeOnly&Filename=TP08C-136COComposite.pdf

Barbara
    imageimage
  • Ah! Thanks for the extra info @afwifey2014! I have been having a hard time on my end discovering the location / name of a 'Tricare Approved Supplier', too.
  • I bought my pump a few weeks ago and happened to keep the receipt. My OB just wrote the prescription specifically for the pump I bought and I'll have to send that, the store receipt, and a pharmacy claims form in. The claims form is only one page, so not bad at all. Getting it all ready to go now that way I'm not trying to do it with a newborn and just have to remember to stick it in the mail July 1st! It's about time Tricare caught up to everyone else though, I'm glad the policy itself is retroactive to December 19!
  • This is awesome!! I had applied for a breastpump through Aeroflow Healthcare and had no idea until the representative told me.  She took my information and is going to call me back the first week of July to check into it more and hopefully get me a free pump!!

• That's nice that Aeroflow is going to do that for you. That's good customer service, right there. I was considering using them after the 1st to get my pump (I could maybe get one from a local pharmacy or something, but my town is pretty small, I think I'll have better luck using a larger company and waiting the shipping days) so its nice they are on the ball. They could've just told you to call back.