Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Advice/Tips to Help Friend with Colicky Baby

Looking for advice/tips to help a friend who has a 5 week old colicky baby.  The friend seems embarrassed by the baby's colic and refuses help from almost everyone (she seems to think that she should be able to handle it on her own even though many of her friends have explained to her that she doesn't and that we want to help).  What are some good ways to help a new mom with a colicky baby?

Re: Advice/Tips to Help Friend with Colicky Baby

• Look into lactobacillus reuteri supplements. There's research to support its effectiveness in reducing colic.

If she won't let you help with the baby, you could offer to cook, do chores, or run errands?
  • The happiest baby on the block book-the 5 Ss. There is a Facebook group I used to be a part of called something like the fussy and colicky baby support group. That helped me the most because I got to hear and talk to people that understood what I was going through. Taking to other IRL moms of "easier" babies only made me feel worse about my situation.
  • Loading the player...
  • CFK said:

Looking for advice/tips to help a friend who has a 5 week old colicky baby.  The friend seems embarrassed by the baby's colic and refuses help from almost everyone (she seems to think that she should be able to handle it on her own even though many of her friends have explained to her that she doesn't and that we want to help).  What are some good ways to help a new mom with a colicky baby?

Take the baby so mommy can eat, pee & take a nap. Hand baby back. The baby will squawk & cry. Babies cry. You ride it out.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Google period of purple crying. This is a neurological, developmental stage that is completely appropriate.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I second "The Happiest Baby on the Block"...seriously, the past week using the 5 S's technique has given me an entirely new baby. It is a quick, user-friendly read. Buy it for your friend :)

Me: 37 | DH: 41
    TTC Since 2011 DX: Unexplained 
    IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
    IVF August 2014: FSH 4.1, PRL 15.3, TSH 2.1, W/ AFC 8.
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.
    So excited to have one little bean on the way!!

• I've never posted on this board but baby girl was born a week ago so I decided to check it out. My older DD(now 4) was colic for 9-10 months. We tried a million formulas and it wasn't until we put her on nutramigen for colic that it cleared up. She was a new baby in a matter of hours. Hers was related to a sensitivity to the proteins in the formula. Plus nutramigen has probiotics to help with digestion also.
  • https://purplecrying.info/

Just a phase.  A potentially, long, long one.  Try to get her to recruit help for breaks for herself.  When mine has a rough night, happily Grandma will come over the next day and help out hold/amuse her after a feeding for a couple of hours while I nap.  That little bit of sleep makes it so much easier.
  • edited June 2015
    Read Happiest Baby on the Block. You can get a used copy for a round $2 on Amazon.
  • ricfjbricfjb member
    My nine-week old is colicky. Every night at around the same time, he starts crying inconsolably. I found two things soothe him (although on any given day one may not work): (1) I hold him near the sink with the water running until he falls asleep; and (2) I run a blow dryer. I use the blow dryer most often because I can sit it on the couch next to me and my son. Almost automatically, his eyes get heavy and he falls asleep.
  • NhbabyNhbaby member
    Happiest Baby on the Block for sure!!!
  • Read Happiest Baby on the Block. Helped me a lot.
  • A good bouncer or a swing will help.