2nd Trimester

Baby moon.... yes or no ladies! Where to go... And are you nervous about flying??

I'm nervous about the flying side of this idea! Also where to go I a budget!!

Answers

• I flew at 14 weeks, nothing really made me nervous about it!
  • I'll be flying around 26 weeks. We're going to DC. Not nervous at all.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was 20 weeks, we went to the Smokey Mountains and stayed in a cabin in the mountains.  We drove, though. It was peaceful and great. 
  • It's completely fine to fly, it's not dangerous for the baby. You didn't tell us where you live, so it's hard to give you any suggestions.
  • I live in Perth, Western Australia! I'm 16wks currently! Would be happy to fly now.... But don't want to leave it too late!
  • We're doing a huge roadtrip and taking our time traveling about 1400 miles. We'll stop at interesting places, drive about 7 hours each day, and enjoy the scenery and each other's company. I flew at 14 weeks and I felt fine. I just made sure to have water and snacks just in case we were stuck in the plane due to any issues.

• I went on a cruise during my last pregnancy. I flew to Florida and enjoyed the sun. It was lovely.
  • We will be driving to Myrtle Beach (8hrs) when I am 27 weeks. I'm not worried, just to make sure we stop to stretch out legs.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited June 2015
    I'm a little worried about flying because I fly very frequently for work (It's been twice a week now for a few weeks - for example) and i don't want to give birth to, like, a radioactive kid or something. TSA, when i asked about the body screening booth and pregnancy, said that the actual flying delivers a good dose of radiation and this thing doesn't delivery anything of the sort. So that made me wonder. But it's not so bad. Flight attendants and pilots (my husband flies for an airline) DO tend to have higher rates of radiation issues from a lifetime of flying but we're talking the length of a career, often flying multiple times a day. Not 9 months' worth, at worst. 

That being said, we're doing a babymoon and we're planning to do it out of country and off continent. We're going to fulfill my long-term dream of doing the trans Siberian rail, landing in Beijing and taking the train 7 days to Moscow. Then flying home from there. 

The beautiful thing about that trip is that it's super exotic but SO CHEAP that even a first class berth is not very expensive at all. Obtaining a sponsor (who you can pay from a service) and a visa is another matter all together and ensuring that all your paperwork is in order - one false step and Russia can detain you indefinitely, at your expense, while they "sort things out". There is also the issue of getting the Chinese entry visa, which I have gotten before and it's not shady or complicated. But takes time. 

Also there is the issue of getting enough to eat. Russian trains are notorious for giving you a meal a day as their "All you can eat" option. Chinese trains are better but the recommended strategy is to buy food for the trip that you keep in your berth. A behaviour that may or may not be frowned upon.

So we'll see.. It's a very ambitious trip and I'm planning to do it near the end of trimester 2. (late august ish..) so i need to be up for it, since so much has to be bought and planned in advance. 
  • We live in MN and flew 3hrs to Seattle, spent time there w family n friends, then drove to the Olympic peninsula for alone time. Ocean, rain forest, hiking, beach bonfires, lots of restaurants. Gone for two wks n was so amazing!! Flying is nbd, just stay hydrated n walk around every hr - long car rides too. Enjoy!
  • We live in Texas and drove down to Galveston to take a Caribbean Cruise.  It was so relaxing and amazing, I loved it!

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We drove 12 hours to the beach at 18 weeks. It was fun but I would recommend that long I'm the car only because it was so tiring. The vacation was so much fun.
  • We went to Mexico in March, not planned as a baby moon but knew it might be our last trip together for awhile since we were trying. I was 6 weeks along at that point and unfortunately that was the week 'morning sickness' started. It was horrible, spent 3 days in the room and couldn't eat much. Couple days I felt ok to enjoy, but wish it was after 15 weeks when feeling better. Cabo San Lucas is lovely and things to do if you want to or just hang and beach if lazy. Although It will be hot In July-sept. Didn't mind it last year when not preggo but may now! Mexico is cheaper than most other tropical vacations though, and Cabo is very safe! Since we don't have time for another week long vaca, We are going to NY (we live in Wisconsin) in July visiting family and I have to go again in Aug for my work and shower at home. I will be 28weeks on the last trip. I prob wouldn't be comfortable flying after 30 incase preterm labor. Driving long trip maybe a little longer. We plan to drive to Ohio over Labor Day weekend to visit hubby's fam and friends and I will be 30 weeks (as long as I feel fine). Wish we could get one more international trip in before baby but unfortunately the timing is not going to work out.
  • edited June 2015
    We just got back home from our babymoon/anniversary trip. Hubby planned it all himself and surprised me, I knew we were going somewhere but had no idea where. We went to this beach town on the west coast of Florida and stayed in the hotel we stayed at for our honeymoon. Hung out at the beach and took a boat tour of Naples. Then we spent a couple of days at a Disney resort, chilled by the pool and went to DisneyQuest. We also hit up a couple of other smaller Orlando attractions. It was really nice, I haven't felt so relaxed in quite some time.

ETA: Forgot to mention I hit 34 weeks yesterday. Also, depending on where you live, you don't have to fly. Hubby is scared of flying so we wouldn't have flown anywhere even if I wasn't so far along. Find fun things to do in driving range!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bahamas in late August/early September at 26w!
  • We are headed to the beach, just a few hours away, for our last getaway before becoming a family of four. I flew at 17 weeks pregnant. The only stressful part was running between concourses to make it to my connecting flight. I drove 8 hours home for my baby shower at 32 weeks. The drive was much harder than flying. With the drive later in pregnancy, I experienced my first ankle swelling.
  • So hubbub nixed Russia since it's easy to have "visa issues" and be detained at your own expense. It's too dangerous since i'm expecting, he thinks. He says we can take the bean when (s)he's breathing air. 

so we're taking one but not sure where once again. 
  • We live in California so we will take off to the beach (probably Morro Bay/Cayucos) sometime after 22-24 weeks. May have DH's dad or sister fly us down in the family plane or may drive....not sure yet!
    Just looking forward to relaxing on the beach and in the water, eating some good seafood and enjoying the little shops around there. My dad took me there all the time before he passed so it has sentimental value :)
  • We are going to Cancun at the end of July with our kids. I'll be 21 weeks with twins. So far perfect pregnancy. I've been cleared to travel up to 24 weeks (viability), so all good. If you have a long flight make sure you get up at least once an hour to walk. Also look into some compression stockings. If you go somewhere hot, STAY HYDRATED. If you go out of the country, make sure your insurance covers you and also purchase additional travel insurance with medical evacuation coverage. It's super cheap.

If you're looking for a fun, affordable vacation look into an all inclusive. Mexico tends to be the cheapest. We go every year and it's fabulous. Enjoy!
  • We just did our baby moon last week. Nothing expensive just time away together. We decided to go out to Lancaster PA since it's only a short 2 hr ride but still had a lot of things for us to do. And even just enjoying the pool at the hotel was great. We like to travel so for us getting away this one last time was something we really wanted. Of course we will vacation again once the baby is older but that last hurrah was important to us.
  • Hope everyone is having fun on their BabyMoon!! I am in a pickle. . .

We are going on a family vacation to Hilton Head (from Cincinnati-12 hour drive) August 1-8. I will be 33-34 weeks. At the end we were thinking of breaking up the drive and stopping in Asheville, NC, to tour the Biltmore. The Biltmore has A LOT of walking....just from the parking grounds there is a 1-2 mile walk to the actually estate. We were only going to do a self tour at our own pace only for less than half the day. We would then spend the night at a hotel and head home in the morning. This will break up the trip. 

Am I insane to think this will work? I am going to my OB apt next week for my big glucose test and will ask the doctor what she thinks.