VBAC
Options

Recovery Details: C vs. vaginal?

There is much said about vaginal birth recoveries typically being easier or shorter than c section. I'm really curious about the details here. Would anyone who has been through both care to elaborate? 

My experience: 
I have had 1 c section 5 years ago. I don't feel that my recovery was that rough but perhaps I don't know what I might be missing? I was out of hospital 2 days after the delivery and pain was manageable with the meds which I believe I stopped taking sometime around 2 weeks. However, for me, due to the erratic schedule and exhaustion I feel much of life was a blur for a few weeks. I was able to take care of my newborn but I had no expectations of doing anything else for a little while. At 6 weeks, I was cleared for exercise, sex, etc. as I believe is fairly standard regardless of birthing method?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Recovery Details: C vs. vaginal?

• Options
    I had a spontaneous vaginal delivery with DS1 at 37w5d, small episiotomy but great recovery overall.  

My first c/s was at 38w, not bad.  I hurt to cough, sneeze, laugh, blow my nose for a couple of weeks.  My c/s was on a Thursday and we were home on Monday.  By the time I got home I had to remind myself to slow down when I was doing the stairs.

My most recent c/s was at 41w and while everything was textbook (no complications) my recovery was SOOOO much harder.  It was hard for me to walk for several weeks, I was going at a snails pace.  I was in pain much longer.  Aside from the c/s I just kept bleeding and bleeding, finally I asked my OB to put me on BCP's to see if that would kind of reset my hormones, it worked like a charm and I finally stopped bleeding.

I'm hoping for a VBA2C this time.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    i had a c-section with my first and my recovery was long. i could barely walk, esp up and downstairs, for at least a week. i moved slowly and was in pain. it was a day or two before i could walk around the hospital and i remember walking at a snail's pace holding onto my husband.

i had a vbac for my second son and was walking briskly around the hospital later that day. even though i had a tear it was way less painful.  i couldn't believe how much better i felt and how quickly i rebounded compared to the c-section. plus i loved that i could still pick up my older son, which i wouldn't have been able to do post c-section for awhile.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    C-sec with first daughter:  Recovery was much easier than i expected. could walk around the hospital the next day, go to the bathroom etc. Held off working out for 2 months, couldnt lift heavy things, etc. Went home after 3 nights. 
    VBAC with second daughter: Easy recovery, tear did not hurt as bad as i expected (i got 3 stitches)
    I would say i felt just as physically tired with both though. 
    But keep in mind that C sec is a major operation that cuts through 7 layers, where as a vaginal birth was designed by nature and have been done for hundreds of years. 
    oh, and unfortunately, my Dr did not do an excellent chop closing me up and i have quite a scar still. 

• Options
    My recovery from my c/s with my first wasn't awful, but it took me about a month to feel myself both physically and mentally. I'm a bad patient, so that's why I wanted a VBAC. My two VBAC recoveries were so much easier than my c/s recovery. Yes, I had tearing and stitches and hemmies, but I could sit on the floor with my kids the day I brought my newborns home from the hospital and I didn't have to mentally deal with recovery as well as physically. I understand that I was lucky with my VBAC recoveries, and not all vaginal birth recoveries are as easy.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    I had a vaginal delivery with my first- everything went normal and my recovery was very easy even though I had a "medium" amount of tearing. I was able to walk pretty well right after the delivery and was only sore for less than a week. 

I had an emergency c-section with my son, and while I do think my recovery was pretty good for a c-section, it still hurt like hell to sit up, sit down, and walk for about a week or two. Due to some of his birth complications, we were in the hospital for 5 days so I did have some extra time to recover in the hospital before returning home.

This time, I want a VBAC mainly because of the recovery aspect. Assuming all is well with this baby's delivery, I would go home after 2 days (whether a c-section or vaginal) and with 2 other kids at home, I just cannot dedicate 2 weeks to sitting on the couch and recover. It's just not going to happen with 2 kids and a newborn, even with a very helpful husband and extended family.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    With my C-section, pretty easy recovery but I think it helps when you don't have other kids.

My VBAC, I had a 3rd degree tear and was on pain meds for about 6 weeks. I couldn't sit down anywhere and still need therapy to help with pain. I think it all depends on the person.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I was lucky. I've had 2 VBACs with minimal tearing and I was able to take care of my kids right away. The only pain meds I was on was ibuprofen for swelling. But I fully realize I was lucky, and may not be so fortunate again.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    I had a c-section with my first and VBAC with my second. I'd definitely say the vaginal delivery is easier to recover from. I did not have to take any meds for pain and I was able to get up and walk around with ease the same day I had my DD.
  • Options
    It took me a good month to recover from my c/s with my first (I labored for a long time before I had the c/s, though). With my VBAC, I had a second-degree tear, but was able to move around normally after a few days, and felt back to normal within 2-3 weeks. 

You have to recover from birth, end of story, but *in general* your chances of a easier recovery are going to be with a vaginal birth. 
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    ryemoryemo member
    I found both recoveries tough, but the VBAC was much better in the beginning. My bottom was sore for months afterwards--mild but unpleasant. Probably because I rocketed that baby out at the end. We all have different experiences but the emotional fall out of that unplanned CS was deep and far reaching, and it was amazing not to do that again.
  • Options
    I've only had c section with my son 15 months ago and plan for a VBAC in May with my second son. My recovery was awful. I had also been in labor for 18 hours prior so I had a little bit of both the labor and then the surgery. I wasn't taking any pain meds at all for the first 6 hours of contractions and being on pitocin. Finally after my OB said I wasn't progressing fast enough since my water broke spontaneously before coming in I would have to get a c section. Sooooo by 9 that night I was exhausted and beyond sad that I had
    Gone through all of that for nothing. I remember a few days after surgery laying on the couch and my baby started crying and I couldn't even sit up or roll over to get him and had to yell for my husband. I didn't feel completely normal at the gym (doing sit ups and running) for close to 6 months - mind you I was in good shape prior to baby. God I pray I don't ever have another c section!!!!!
  • Options
    Brieb33 said:

I've only had c section with my son 15 months ago and plan for a VBAC in May with my second son. My recovery was awful. I had also been in labor for 18 hours prior so I had a little bit of both the labor and then the surgery. I wasn't taking any pain meds at all for the first 6 hours of contractions and being on pitocin. Finally after my OB said I wasn't progressing fast enough since my water broke spontaneously before coming in I would have to get a c section. Sooooo by 9 that night I was exhausted and beyond sad that I had
    Gone through all of that for nothing. I remember a few days after surgery laying on the couch and my baby started crying and I couldn't even sit up or roll over to get him and had to yell for my husband. I didn't feel completely normal at the gym (doing sit ups and running) for close to 6 months - mind you I was in good shape prior to baby. God I pray I don't ever have another c section!!!!!

I was in labor for 16 hours which included 3.5 hours of pushing.  I was so exhausted as well. I'm an avid yogi now and can't imagine not being able to practice yoga for 6 weeks while I recover.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know if maybe it was the magnesium I was on for two days after, but my recovery from a c-section was terrible. It was awful trying to even turn in bed. Because my blood pressure was still high I was in the hospital for 5 days. When I took my first shower my husband had to support me and I nearly fainted.

I had an epsiotomie with my first and it was a cakewalk compared to a c-section. I definitely will be trying for a VBAC.

• Options
    I had my first 17 years ago, vaginally, natural, no drugs! (What was u thinking) I had 4th degree tearing, but, actually no issues or pain after delivery and was home 2 days later.

8 years ago I had an emergency c-section due to fetal distress. I was super scared because of all the c-section horror stories I heard and after watching my girlfriend have to lay flat for 24 hours after hers, and having a bad reaction to the anesthesia. But, I must say, mine was not bad at all. I chose stitches over staples. Day after delivery nurses had me walking as much as possible. Took my pain meds as scheduled, even skipping a few doses. Was home in 4 days and had to "remind" myself I had stitches and to take it easy! So for baby #3 I am choosing c-section. After going over the pros and cons of vbac, and my own risk, I'm opting for another c-section. Praying it goes as smoothly as the first
  • Options
    I had a rough recovery from my C-section.  I didn't have any infections or wound breakdown or anything, just a lot of discomfort.  I suspect this is because they cut my abdominal muscles laterally a bit, as per my op report.  This isn't a standard part of a C-section (usually the are separated in the midline and pulled apart but the muscle fibers aren't cut) but it's done when the need arises. 

I had a very uncomplicated VBAC with minimal perineal trauma.  I only had 2 sidewall abrasions that got 1 stitch each, which my CNM could have just as well not bothered to suture.  My arms hurt more than anything else my first day postpartum (from pulling back on my thighs while pushing), and unless I sat on something hard (wooden chair or uncarpeted floor), I wasn't even sore.  

But keep in mind, someone with a really straightforward C-section will probably have a smoother recovery than someone with a complicated vaginal delivery with a 3rd or 4th degree tear.  Repeat C-sections also seem to be easier to bounce back from than primary C-sections, especially if the first C-section happened after labor began.
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage