April 2014 Moms
Options

The heartbreak of owning pets :( T&Ps please!

We have two 11 year old Labradors that are very attached to one another. They both have taken a huge downturn in health over the past year and we have to say good bye to them together tonight :( We have tried keeping them as long as we can but they are both really just suffering and not getting any enjoyment out of life at this point. I have felt so bad even keeping them these past two weeks but they are more my husbands dogs (we got them together but they are definitely more his) and I have been trying to let him come to the decision in his own time. He called the vet today and we are bringing them in tonight. DH is just so distraught and it is so hard to see him like this. I am sad too but not to the point he is. I actually feel guilty because I am not so much a dog person (I like dogs but not a huge dog lover) but agreed to get them 11 years ago for DH and I am sad that they are suffering and that we have to say good bye. They have had a good life with us and they have really been great dogs.even in their old age they have been so wonderful and trustworthy with our kids. I also feel some relief as they have both been getting so hard to care for along with our 2 kids and have put an extra stress on us both and then I feel even worse and like a horrible person for feeling that relief as well. Ugh, tonight is going to be so hard, especially seeing my DH in so much pain. And how do we explain to our 3 year old where his doggies went? :( 

We really weren't thinking when we got both dogs a the same time and age because now they are both old together too :( We also have 4 cats that range from 12-15 years old so they will all be declining in health around the same time too....ugh we so did not think that out :( It is so heartbreaking loosing furbabies...

Re: The heartbreak of owning pets :( T&Ps please!

• Options
    T & P sent your way! So sorry about your fur babies!
  • Options
    Oh no :( no advice but big hugs. I'm so sorry for the loss of your fur babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry! It really is losing a family member. Praying for you guys!
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your pups. How heartbreaking to lose them both at once. Your mixed feelings are totally understandable, it's not an easy thing to choose for them but know that you are doing the right thing if they are not enjoying the same quality of life they once did. Hugs to you and your family.
  • Options
    Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. Losing family is so hard, and two at once is awful. Hugs!

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options
    So so sorry. That is so hard. I hope your DH (and all of you) can find some comfort in the fact that they have had a great life with you and each other. Still it changes the household to lose members of your pack and their absence will be felt greatly, I'm sure. Take care!
  • Options
    I am so sorry for you and your family. Stay strong for your DH. I've been there and probably will be again soon. It is so hard! I'm praying for y'all.
  • Options
    I am dreading the day my dog goes down that path. I am so sorry. T&Ps with you and your family
  • Options
    LolaX2LolaX2 member
    Thanks ladies. It was just awful especially doing both the same night :( We stayed with them and DH held them each through their last breath. We are having them cremated together and and going to bury them under their favorite apple tree in our back yard. The vet is also getting their paw prints in molds for us. Now I sit here crying at work...ugh, I hate this! At least I am the only one in my office today. 
  • Options
    LolaX2LolaX2 member
    I am having a really hard day today...this is hitting me a lot harder than I thought it would :(
  • Options
    Big, big hugs for you @LolaX2 . Hang in there and do whatever you can to make your day easier. Thinking of you.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. I pretend my dogs will live forever. All you can do is support DH. And for the little one there are lots of good sites on how to talk to kids.
  • Options
    Aw@LolaX2, I'm so so sorry! I love your plans to bury them together under their favorite tree. Very sweet and special. Thinking of you and the fam today.
  • Options
    Thinking of you today!
  • Options
    LolaX2LolaX2 member
    I feel so silly, I mean...I have cried more today over these damn dogs than I have when dealing with the death of some people in my life! I wish I hadn't stayed in the room with them for the injections because now that is all I keep picturing. We didn't want them to be alone with people they didn't know though. I know it was the right decision and it was time to let them go and stop suffering but man this is so hard and my heart hurts :(

Thanks for all the support ladies.
  • Options
    Don't feel silly! They were members of your family for a long time! And kudos to you for staying with them. I'm so sorry you have that image in your mind, but it was really brave to be there and bring them as much comfort as you could until their final moments. Hang in there and cry all you want. There's no shame in mourning a loss like this. Hugs.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. No need to feel silly at all, pets are truly part of the family. I hope you begin to feel some comfort in thinking of all the good times you and your family had with them.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. We just had to let our dog go on Monday. It hurts but better that they arent in pain.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss and Don't feel silly- when our cat passed away I was a wreck....whenever I think about him today I get teary eyed. We keep one picture of him framed- it's always nice to see his face again once in awhile :-)
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's really hard to deal with the loss of pets.