Nebraska Babies

Moving to Omaha--OBGYN Recommendations?

Hello-

We are moving to Omaha next month and I am in need of an OBGYN.  I prefer female, but not opposed to a male doctor if he has a great bedside manner. :)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Moving to Omaha--OBGYN Recommendations?

• Dr. Simmons is good. I am on baby #3. She has done my 2nd C and will do my 3rd C in Oct.
  • I would love to hear the answers to this as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I see Dr. John Cote with Alegent Health Clinic at 8141 West Center or out at Lakeside. He's not only great with me, but my DH really likes him a lot too. If you prefer a female -- there are several in his practice. If Cote was delivering during one of my scheduled appts, I often saw Sullivan or Evans and they are both great. I've also heard really great things about NewMyer as well. Alegent has bios and introduction videos on their website. Alegent.com/Cote, Alegent.com/Evans, etc. :) Hope that helps!

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • C&S37C&S37 member
    I go to Dr. Sullivan at Lakeside and LOVE her!  I would highly recommend. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What kind of birth are you hoping for?  Natural, limited intervention, medically managed, scheduled induction, scheduled c-section.  That makes a huge difference on what doctor is right for you.  If you are hoping for a natural birth I would suggest Dr. Finley at Lifecare Family Medicine in Bellevue at Bellevue Medical Center, Heather Ramsey, CNM also at Lifecare but moving to Nebraska's first Free Standing midwife operated Birth Center in Bellevue starting in October.  The Methodist Midwives are AMAZING!  They delivered my last child and will deliver my next.  They are great for natural births or low intervention births but can handle a medically managed or higher risk birth or induction if you end up needing that.  The midwives at UNMC are also really wonderful.  If you PM me I would happily share some doctors I would STRONGLY advise you to stay away from.  You can also email me at omahadoulamom at hotmail dot com.

:)AJ 

:)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • The midwives at UNMC :)
  • I would also recommend Dr. Gema Simmons at Lakeside.  I have used her for the last three of my babies and love her.  The other good thing - the other docs in her office are great too!  I highly recommend them!  Good luck!
  • I've worked for and had a baby with Dr Gema Simmons and she's amazing. Her nurse is awesome too. I'd rec them all day, every day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dr. Simmons is AMAZING. I have so many good things to say about her! She was so helpful during my pregnancy. She answered all of my questions and I never once felt like i was "just another patient". I was having back problems during my pregnancy and she set up an appointment with a physical therapist for me. Being pregnant for the first time was scary for me and she did an awesome job at reassuring me. She also has great bedside manner!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heather Ramsey, CNM. She goes above and beyond any level of care I have ever seen. I had an emergency induction with my first at 37w for PIH/HELLP and she never left my side...because of her I not only avoided a c-section (the risk of c-section goes from 35% (national average) to 65% with an induction) but managed a pain medication free birth and had an amazing experience. She's hands down the best provider I have ever seen in practice...I honestly dont know anyone that I've recommended her to that hasn't done a consultation and NOT switched to her. 

That being said, if you're uncomfortable with a midwife Dr. Brian Finley of Lifecare is amazing. He's a family doctor, so you could see him for your pregnancy and then continue to see him as your child's pediatrician if you wanted to. He has fantastic bedside manner and he's totally hands off, unless otherwise indicated. He is fine with delay/no vax, not circ'ing, extended breastfeeding, bed sharing, etc...and when you call his office after hours HE personally calls you back, not a nurse that acts as the middle man. He's great.  

• Dr. Erin Talaska. Love her! she is at Lakeside and 81st and Center. Delievers at both Lakeside and Bergan Mercy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr. Robert Bossert he is through Alegent Health at Immanuel & Lakeside. He is awesome very friendly & makes you feel comfortable about everything that's going on.

• Is Dr. Simmons  with Dr. Nick Steinhauer at OBGYN? Did she get sick about 4 yrs ago because i believe i concieved as she went for treatment and i didn't get to have her. My doctor was fine but he doesn't believe in birthcontrol and i never felt like we "got to know each other" even though i was in there weekly for GD. He tested me late for GD even with a family history. Don't get me wrong...he showed up 5minutes before my son came out (18 hours later) and delivered him safely into the world but i wanted more.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone had good experiences with Dr Judith Scott at Methodist Women's Hospital?  I really like her but we've been through two rough patches conceiving so far this year  (one m/c that ended in d&C and most recently a uterine septum surgery).  My husband really was interested in other recommendations as it is darn near impossible for him to be comfortable with anyone!  But so far I have liked her.  The Methodist Hospital/Medical Center itself just seems to have some miscommunication errors.....
  • My husband and I adore our ob! Dr. Nicole Pearsall from Kobit,Nabity, and Simmons out at Lakeside. She is Great...the whole practice is full of Rock Stars...from the moment you walk in the door, you feel like they already know you. Their staff is amazing!!! We will be delivering at Lakeside as well.
  • Dr. Jorge Sotolongo is the best.  He is with Metro OB/GYN and is always there for you.  He has several offices around omaha and in council bluffs.  He delievers at any alegent hospital that you chose.  He has been there for me through everything.  Pre-term Labor at 27 weeks with my son then 18 hours of labor and a c-section at 3 in the morning.  A miscarriage, also my daughter when I had several health issues including pre-eclapsia and this pregnancy.  He is awesome along with his staff.  I have never felt in better care.  They also do ultrasounds every visit which I love!!!
  • I was with Dr. Scott and liked her.  I had a couple mc and wanted someone more proactive and switched to Dr. Gema Simmons.  I LOVE Dr. Simmons and am glad for the change.  She is very reassuring and ready to get the ball rolling.  Her nurses are amazing and are quick to get back to me.  They all take their time with you and never rush you off the phone or from the office.
    BabyFruit Ticker 2 previous losses (May 2011 & November 2011)
  • I would recommend highly Dr. Julia Bishop at Methodist Women's Hospital.  She has delivered our 2 children and will be overseeing our 3rd (8 wks along).  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that she is the doctor to so many of my friends and coworkers as well.  They all had wonderful experiences with her too and we all cannot seem to recommend her enough!  It's also great that everything a pregnant woman might need can be found all within the same facility - ultrasounds, lab work, stress tests, high risk OB appts, etc all on the clinic side of Methodist Women's Hospital.  Also a bonus that your doctor is just a short walk away from the hospital side when you are ready to deliver.
  • try Dr Mark Potter he is an amazing doctor I am pregnant and this will be baby number five out of my family that he will be delivering he makes you feel very comfortable and he cares alot about his patients and best of all he takes medicaid

• try Dr Mark Potter he is an amazing doctor I am pregnant and this will be baby number five out of my family that he will be delivering he makes you feel very comfortable and he cares alot about his patients and best of all he takes medicaid

• I heard through the grapevine she's not delivering babies anymore?!  I hope it's not true!  She delivered my 2nd child and I love her!!!!  I don't want another Dr! 

• Just tested positive yesterday and have scheduled my first appointment for late March. However, I am thinking I need to research Obstetricians a bit more. Right now I'm scheduled with Dr. Brianne Kling of Methodist in Omaha, NE. Has anyone heard of or used her that might be able to make any recommendations? can anyone refer other doctors? I just don't know where to begin! Help!
  • @kristenkm2012  Dr. Heather Taggart delivered my DD and I would not recommend her unless you have a planned c-section. She is very c-section happy, never seemed to have enough time to talk to me and literally spent all of 20 minutes with me when my DD was born. My daughter ended up being born 5 weeks early, Dr. Taggart almost completely missed the birth as she was leaving to go preform surgery at Bergan. She is great if you have a complicated birth/situation but is not the right doctor for normal births.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Just moved to Omaha and I need suggestions on doctors here.  Does anyone know anything about the La Vista office of Alegent/Creighton Health , doctors at this site are:

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
    I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Harper Harrison. She delivered DS1 in 2005 and DS2 in 2012. She's got a great bedside manner, is very thorough without ordering unnecessary tests, and she's willing to entertain the idea of just about any type of birth you want as long as you and baby are safe/ok. Love, love, love her.

image imageimageimage

• I am needing some advice on OB Docs in the Omaha area. I need to be able to have an ultrasound at every visit and I am high risk. I saw online that Dr. Kling is very good but wanted to get some other ideas. Thanks for your help!
  • Dr. Linda Collins and Wendy Salado APRN at Omaha OB GYN. They have 2 offices, 1 at UNMC and 1 at Lakeside. They are private practice which is nice with all of the BCBS/CHI stuff going on right now. They deliver at UNMC, Bergan, Lakeside, and Methodist Womens Hospital.
    Pregnant with baby BOY #1 due 2/24/14 after 4 years of TTC and IUI #3
  • Right now I have my first appointment scheduled in January with the UNMC midwives (though we are much closer to Women's Hospital). I'm very pro midwife and natural birth (knock wood), but it is a little disconcerting that with either UNMC or Methodist that you'll be rotated through the group and it's the luck of the draw who you get on labor day. 

Anyone know of a Methodist or Med Center obgyn that is very pro natural birth? Someone at work gave me a name, but when I inquired at the office, the receptionist didn't seem to agree with that information. :-< She very specifically said that the obgyns will approach my birth differently than the midwives. Big one: I need to eat and move around during labor.

I'll start in the midwife group and hope it's a good fit. But it's nice to have a name or two handy,in case I need to switch over.
    BabyGaga
  • Idk if this is the midwife group your talking about but there is one on 36th-ish and HWY 370. I have heard good things about them. My cousin delivered both of her kiddos there recently. (Sounds like your in West
    O so taking 370 all the way through couldn't be much longer then Running the interstate to UNMC.). I think it's called Midwifes Place.??
  • Are there recommendations for an OB at Methodist Women's? I saw Dr. Kling previously, but apparently she isn't working over the summer so she won't take me on as a patient.
  • tbf23 said:
    Are there recommendations for an OB at Methodist Women's? I saw Dr. Kling previously, but apparently she isn't working over the summer so she won't take me on as a patient.

I went there and saw Dr. Phillips... I cannot say enough good things about her.  She is amazing!

Life began when I saw your face

I.J.C. born 11.3.13 

• I see Dr. Lankhorst. I think she is pretty amazing.
  • Kerrie19Kerrie19 member
    edited January 2015

I second Dr. Erin Talaska. also. She's the best and very reassuring for this FTM!

Edit: Just saw that this thread is 2 years old. Oops :)

• Jodi Hedrick and the staff at Mid City OBGYN are phenomenal!
  • Omg women methodist is AMAZING. We see Dr. Susan Westcott she graduated med school in 86 she is a beautiful person inside and out. she is delivering our third baby. She is highly sought after, as a bonus her daughter just graduated med School at the top of her class ;). If you need a perinatal doctor try Dr. Bonebrake he has the best sense of humor, helps you off your back and helps wipes your belly off, it's the little things, he loves his job. Good luck and hope you enjoy Omaha!