December 2014 Moms
Options

Baby food

I am baby food dumb. Do I need a schedule? What do I start with? How do I know when to incorporate more foods? Do I give her formula before our after eating? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but any help you can give me is appreciated.

Re: Baby food

• Options
    The world of solids is huuuuge. You have to find what works best for you. Follow your pedi's guidelines, do some research, and hit the ground running!

Definitely give formula first and then solids. The order in which you give food no longer matters, just be sure to wait 3 days before introducing a new food. Avoid peanuts and honey until one year. Start out with about 1-2 tbs feeding twice a day then increase the amount depending on your LO. Never force them to eat more than they want or not allow them to continue eating if they are still hungry.
    If you are confused on what to start out with you can always defer to the most popular-- grains, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, squash, carrots, peas, and green beans

Good luck and happy eating!
  • Options
    I started at 4.5 months. Now she eats carrots, green beans, peas, and squash all together in a puree. When do I start giving her thicker than puree? Like how do I know she is ready for anything thicker than puree? And is thicker than puree chunky? I really don't know anything either. I'm just winging it which isn't feeling too good. I don't want to give puree foods for too long because I heard they become picky and not accept "more solid" food. But what's too long? So lost.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jpagano113jpagano113 member
    edited June 2015
    I started slowly at 4 months and now at 6 months LO eats about 2 tbsp per feeding, morning and at supper. She's had sweet potato, peas, green beans, carrot, squash, zucchini, Apple, Avocado, banana, pear, mango, blueberry, dates, oatmeal, rice, barley, quinoa & I just introduced yogurt. By 7 months she will be eating everything including meats since iron stores start deleting at 6 months. One new food every 3 days and watch out for allergic reactions like rash, vomiting, diarrhea. Making purées at home are so easy. Just use a steamer and a blender and voila! By 9 months baby should be eating 3 times a day and eat pretty much what you are eating minus the salt