May 2015 Moms
Options

A book before bedtime....

I'm just curious, how many of you have started reading to your LO before bedtime? If you haven't, when do you think you'll start?

Re: A book before bedtime....

• Options
    In a way....I read to my toddler while baby is in the room. I didn't start reading to my first kid until he was able to sit up on his own and then it was just super short books with like 1 or 2 words per page so he wouldn't get bored and crawl away :P
  • Options
    My LO is 2 weeks old and my SO and I have read a book a day to her since we came home from the hospital. If nothing else it's good for her to hear our voices.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rae430rae430 member
    My LO is 3 weeks old and I just started including a book in his bedtime routine. He mostly dozes or eats through it, but it's a start! My grandma read me books every night, starting when I was a newborn, and I developed an insatiable love of reading that I still have today. Would love to see my little guy become an avid reader :)
  • Options
    I'm reciting nursery rhymes to my LO, and singing to her. Many years ago I was a nanny/babysitter and have a head full of stories to perform for her. She loves it and I do too. In a few months I'll use a book, I just need both hands on her right now.
  • Options
    3JTMom3JTMom member
    Even talking to your little one is great to do. If you develop the habit of ready early, they will learn to love it and expect it.
    Blessings mama!
    -notautomatic-
  • Options
    CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited June 2015
    I am usually doing it in the mornings when she's awake and alert for now.  She's super cranky at night around bed time, so having her wailing in my arms won't give us an appreciation for good Eric Carle literature.  :)  I'll make it part of the bedtime routine  when she settles more.

As a high school teacher, I can tell you, I can go through a class list and accurately guess which kids were read to when they were younger - it's not just about loving books later on, but about a solid base for EVERYTHING for school later on.  Hang in there moms and read lots and lots to your babies!
  • Options
    mars8kmars8k member
    I tried it few days ago but not before bedtime but as a stimulation tool if you will but she was not looking at the book no matter what lol she might be too young i think i'll try again at 2 months or if she starts to focus

I bought her tons of books i want her to see nooks before she starts school so she wouldn't associate the 2 together
  • Options
    We read books to her at night. I'm an avid reader so I'm trying everything I can to pass that love of reading on to my daughter.
  • Options
    Check out Look! Look! on Amazon. ;)