October 2015 Moms

What's for dinner? Update: Weekly meal plan thread perhaps?

leighann1leighann1 member
edited June 2015 in October 2015 Moms
Edit: 

***So I was thinking about this thread the other day and wondering if you ladies would have any interest in sharing weekly meal plans? We could do a Food Friday or a Meal Plan Monday thread?  've fallen out of the habit of meal planning with a different summer schedule, and I'd really like to get back to it. Sharing our weekly plans might help inspire me and others. What do you think?***

The lunch thread + my impending grocery trip got me thinking. I need some inspiration. We're a meatless household, but any and all ideas/recipes are welcome! 

I think I might try this tonight, though with fake beef crumbles and veggie broth instead: 

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Re: What's for dinner? Update: Weekly meal plan thread perhaps?

• Chinese here. I have been craving it something fierce. I am making sweet and sour chicken, eggrolls, and chicken fried rice.  

• Love this idea! 

DH has been requesting pizza (I think he is having more cravings than I am!) so I am making How Sweet Eats thin crust pizza tonight. I highly recommend her blog and her cookbook for some delicious recipes. They are always a hit with my husband!

• Loading the player...
  • Chinese here too! I'm making chicken fried quinoa and backed veggie eggrolls.
  • bbiutmcph said:
    Chinese here. I have been craving it something fierce. I am making sweet and sour chicken, eggrolls, and chicken fried rice.  
    I have been wanting chinese food so badly but I have never successfully made anything besides fried rice. Any recipes or tips? 
  • Broccoli cheese soup and French bread! It has sounded so good for a while and I'm finally making it tonight!
  • DH is roasting a turkey breast right now.  Probably make baked potatoes and veggies to go with it.  Can't wait for real turkey sandwich leftovers!  =P~
  • black bean & sweet potato tacos (w/ cheese, guac, sour cream, salsa) or tempeh & black bean tostadas (with same-ish topping) Very easy to make, lots of protein and no meat 
  • bbiutmcph said:
    Chinese here. I have been craving it something fierce. I am making sweet and sour chicken, eggrolls, and chicken fried rice.  
    I have been wanting chinese food so badly but I have never successfully made anything besides fried rice. Any recipes or tips? 

I got both recipes here and have made it three times since LOL

The eggrolls I bought made just need cooked at Wegmans in their dinner to go section so I am no help there.  Although my husband makes some bad ass ones and gets the eggrolls shells at our local grocery.  I'll have to ask him the recipe he uses.

• Stuffed peppers!
  • @Sbrouwer0706 -- If you've ever tired PF Chang's or Pei Wei's lettuce wraps and like them, this is an easy, tasty, recipe! I've made it several times and my whole family really likes it... This is the recipe I use::

https://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/
  • I've been craving a nice salad! So we'll be having that with some freshly made burgers. Nothing sounds better than some nice crispy iceberg lettuce with a boiled egg, some cucumber, some bell peppers, and some broccoli.. hmm...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • McRadMcRad member
    edited June 2015
    Just saw people post about Chinese food. Mmmm =P~
    I made this quinoa fried rice a few weeks ago. So good! I highly recommend it. And it makes me feel a wee bit healthier for eating quinoa but it's still fried, so, yeah....

https://www.cookingforkeeps.com/2013/03/27/quinoa-fried-rice/

Seriously, better than almost all the other fried rice I've had.
  • Chicken alfredo - I cannot wait!
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    I have a Blue Apron chicken under a brick to make, but all I want is spaghetti carbonara.
  • We're meatless house too! I need to go grocery shopping so until I do I'm probably going to get a veggie whopper at bk haaaa so bad!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tomato basil pasta, my favorite during summer: https://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-basil-pasta/. We add chicken, but you could do tofu for protein or just have it as is.

Been eating a lot of Chinese food, too, mostly take out from a local place when we don't feel like cooking. :D
  • I'm cooking white beans & rice right now. I dice up some carrots, celery, onion, and canned diced tomatoes and let them simmer in veggie stock til softened. Throw in some seasoning and spices, then add 2 cans white beans. Mash beans to make it creamy. Toss in some chopped spinach and let wilt. Serve over brown rice.

It's filling, satisfying, and doesn't exacerbate my heartburn!
  • MelMel92 said:
    I've been craving a nice salad! So we'll be having that with some freshly made burgers. Nothing sounds better than some nice crispy iceberg lettuce with a boiled egg, some cucumber, some bell peppers, and some broccoli.. hmm...
    I wish I would crave a salad.  Instead I crave carbs and sweets! :)  

We are going to a nice seafood restaurant on the water for dinner for our anniversary tonight
  • Kara03Kara03 member
    Buffalo Wild Wings. It's one of my cravings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bvan83bvan83 member
    OMG this post is making me starving :) I'm making crock pot ranch pork chops.
  • glilleyglilley member
    edited June 2015
    My 2 yo and I ate grilled cheese and French fries. When hubby is traveling, Little Man and I don't eat as well, but quick dinners are a must.
  • I made green bean and potatoes salad with hard boiled eggs and a grilled telapia marinated with cilantro and scallions! But omg ditto on the Chinese food I'm always dwn for Chinese!!! And I must have salad at least once a day!

• I made crock pot chili with home made cornbread and rice
  • I'm writing down all of these ideas and pinning recipes for future reference. I have been having the most difficult time meal planning lately and this is totally helping! Thanks ladies!
  • casserole27casserole27 member
    edited June 2015
    Super jealous of all you Chinese food eaters!
    My taste buds have changed a little since being pregnant and now every time I try to eat Chinese it just tastes wrong. I just tried it again on Tuesday, had DH go bring me some from my favorite place and I couldn't eat it.  I get real emotional about my food these days so it was depressing!  Chinese is my favorite and my brain knows what it is supposed to taste like but it just doesn't. That's one thing I'm looking forward to having after baby is here. 

As for tonight I'm supposed to make enchiladas but I think I want Homemade French Bread Pizza instead.
    I dunno about you but planning meals while being pregnant is a pain, I change my mind so many times...

Oct15 October Siggy Challenge: Maternity Costumes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am doing breakfast for dinner tonight, scrambled eggs with tons of cheese, and toast...nummmm
  • Chicken cobb salad with lots of veggies... I'm basically throwing in anything we have! I'm also going to try this cheesy bacon dip recipe I just found & serve it with French bread!
  • ehebaeheba member

DH is roasting a turkey breast right now.  Probably make baked potatoes and veggies to go with it.  Can't wait for real turkey sandwich leftovers!  =P~

turkey sandwich leftovers are the best thing in this world!!!! I always do white bread, turkey, MAYO (Makes the whole thing) cranberry sauce, gravy, stuffing. Mouth is watering right now even though I'm totally stuffed!!!
  • I had a grilled chicken quesadilla and it was amazing!!
  • Steak, rosemary potatoes, and garlic parmesan quinoa ... Thank you Pinterest !!
  • Bump...had an idea: 

I was thinking about this thread the other day and wondering if you ladies would have any interest in sharing weekly meal plans? We could do a Food Friday or a Meal Plan Monday thread? I've fallen out of the habit of meal planning with a different summer schedule, and I'd really like to get back to it. 

Interest? Which day would work best? I figure most of us get busy during the week or do grocery shopping on weekends, plus I love alliteration, so those were the two days I was leaning towards. Open to suggestions though!
  • Supper Sundays??

I am definitely interested in this thread. I need to get back on my meal planning because we need to save save SAVE for this little one. Plus, with my pregnancy related food aversions, I have a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner.

What about a theme per week? I'm sure people have their go-to meals, or perhaps designated nights (e.g. Mexican night)....maybe we can also contribute a favorite recipe to help people add variety. Just a thought.
  • Was going to make a casserole. Found protein Farfalle at the store the other day, yay! With mushrooms, chicken sausage, bell peppers, spinach and red sauce. But husband wants pizza. WTF?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would definitely be up for sharing meal plans :) Though I have gotten a bit lazier with my meals now that it is 100+ degrees where I live. Maybe it would encourage me to be better about cooking!
  • Sushi I'm in heaven right now
  • McRadMcRad member
    Yes!! Let's do a meal planning weekly thread! If up for that! :)
    I'd vote for any day of the week. I love getting ideas from people.

Tonight I made some homemade mini chicken pot pies with a side salad. So yummy.
  • I really like this idea! Supper Sunday makes sense with it being at the start of the week.

I made swiss steak last night with mashed potatoes. Yummmm!