April 2015 Moms
Options

Is it colic or am I missing something?

I gave birth to a baby girl on April 29th and for the past week it seems there are an increasing number of days when she inconsolably cries for hours at a time. At first I thought it was just gas, but even with gripe water if she is not eating or being walked around the house in my arms she screams. Any ideas or suggestions about what to do to comfort her would be appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    I had the same thing around 2 weeks... I learned that sometimes that's all it takes and my doctor said it could happen. I slowly tried other things like white noise machines and singing and that helps. I also tried to get her in to more of a routine with eat burp play sleep. As soon as I saw a yawn I started prepping for a nap. It's almost like she was screaming because she was too tired. I also invested in the baby bjorn carrier and that helped to do stuff with my hands.
  • Options
    My first was like this. She cried a lot and is still very sensitive. I was like a shark, when holding her, I could never stop moving, bouncing, waking the stairs, doing lunges, etc. And I had to be standing (no rocking chair, the exception was bouncing on an exercise ball). Read the happiest baby on the block, he has good advice. Bounce on an exercise ball, wear her in a carrier, and find some help/support! I had my mom over a lot so I could get a break. My nerves were shot, but my baby weight came off quickly! Good luck! I've been there and it's not easy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby girl is a colicky one. Almost every day at around 7 or 8pm she will start crying and being fussy. What I do is cradle her face down and sometimes I have her suck on my finger. This works great! However, it may be exhausting at times.
  • Options
    I encourage all moms to check out The Wonder Weeks. It's helped me understand why LO would cry sometimes for no reason. Research based and very accurate :)
  • Options
    I am going to second Happiest Baby on the Block and The Wonder Weeks. Both are written in a style that is easy to read.

Happiest Baby has a lot of information that you already know at a basic level - but provides you with detailed techniques for calming a fussy / colicky baby.

The Wonder Weeks provides you with insight as to what is going on with the mental development of your child for the first 20 months. Knowing that LO was most likely going to be fussy during week 5 and why, helped me through. There is an app though the book has a lot more information and guidance.
  • Options
    My girl is exactly the sand way. Just starts crying for no reason after being changed/fed/burped. It's like she's in pain and kicking her legs - only thing that calms her is me walking around the house with her holding her right to my body. Hoping something changes soon
  • Options
    My baby girl does this as well. We've changed up a couple things. 1) throughout the day I move her legs up and down in a bicycle motion. My sister in law recommended it because my nephew was colicky. And I've also begun giving her a bottle (she's primarily breast fed) it has helped her learn to burp and it's almost as if she knows when she needs to burp because now when she's bf she will fuss and I pull her off. Then all of a sudden she lets out a huge burp. We do occasionally have our rough nights but overall it has gotten better.
  • Options
    For us the grip water was useless. There's a gas medicine made by little tummies. I bought it at babies r us. It works! My friend was having the same thing with her daughter and I bought her some of these drops and they've worked for her too. One thing she did was switch the nipples on the bottle to premie. Her daughter was sucking too fast so the doctor suggested smaller nipples to slow her down. Check out the gas drops from little tummies. It's less than $10 for a bottle at babies r us
  • Options
    Have you tried keeping her upright after feedings? Have you looked into reflux?
  • Options
    "Nursing mothers companion" has a ton of good stuff. Your baby sounds like mine... Reflux may be her struggle!