March 2015 Moms

Baby Weight

Am I the only one still hanging on to a lot of baby weight? I have lost a stone and a half since pregnancy but I still have the same again to lose. I am no longer breastfeeding which may have slowed things down.

I am 10 weeks PP and haven't yet had my '6-8 week check up' which is happening next week. I have cut my calories back to 1,500 per day and am doing lots of walking with the buggy to try and burn it off. Do you think this is sensible without doc's advice?

I know it seems silly and shallow to worry about losing weight so soon after having a baby but I am really determined to get fit again. I know that if I don't start now then I never will and I don't feel comfortable at my current weight. I want to be in better shape for next baby in a few years time because I put on a lot of weight with this pregnancy. I am also getting married next year!

Any advice would be welcome :)

Re: Baby Weight

• LcastoLcasto member
    I've lost 25 pounds and still have another 20 to go.. The first 25 came off within 3 weeks of giving birth so it's been really frustrating that I haven't been able to lose anymore. I'm trying not to obsess over it and just eat healthier and walk a ton.. But other than that, I don't have time to do much else. I think we just need to be patient with ourselves. I think it's safe to go walking as long as you aren't feeling too run down by it. I've also been googling "10 minute work outs" on YouTube.. They seem to get my heart rate up and I sweat like a crazy person, so it must be helping a little.
  • adelemsadelems member
    It's perfectly normal. :) the water weight and weight from the placenta ect will shed quickly but the actual fat takes much longer to work off. It's great to want to get back into shape and loose the weight, don't loose heart. But it takes awhile. Much longer than just 10 weeks. Just remember, your body spent 9 long months changing , putting on weight and growing a human. Give it some time to bounce back :)
  • Loading the player...
  • You are definitely not alone! I still have about 15-20 lbs to go to be at my pre-pregnancy weight and it can be very discouraging trying to find clothes to wear - not to mention shopping! I just about burst into tears at the mall the other day and wound up buying nothing. To echo pp's comment though, it did take over nine months to pack it on so it can be expected to take time to get it off and if you're still breastfeeding the extra pounds won't hurt. In the meantime, im trying to work in walks regularly and when baby is on his playmat I try to be on a yoga mat next to him.
  • I completely understand! I am 11 weeks pp and I still have a lot of weight to lose. I started a low carb diet which I lost a bunch of weight prepregnancy using but it is harder this to lose the weight.

You might have cut your calories down to low bc your body will hold on to fat if you aren't eating enough.

I am trying to not be frustrated with the state of my body. This is the most I have ever weighed.
  • Totally in the same boat. I lost about 22 lbs in the first few weeks, but have totally stalled at 9 weeks with 20 more to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight (and ideally another 20 on top of that, but let's not joke). I'm still breastfeeding and get so frustrated when I try to get decent exercise because I end up completely knackered after. I haven't tried cutting calories too much yet because I'm afraid of screwing up my milk supply, but I'm obviously going to have to be to be better about what I'm eating and how much.
  • adelems said:

It's perfectly normal. :) the water weight and weight from the placenta ect will shed quickly but the actual fat takes much longer to work off. It's great to want to get back into shape and loose the weight, don't loose heart. But it takes awhile. Much longer than just 10 weeks. Just remember, your body spent 9 long months changing , putting on weight and growing a human. Give it some time to bounce back :)

I'm 10 weeks PP, and I lost about 15 lbs after I had the baby. I think I've lost about 5-10 lbs more since then. My stomach has shrank some (I bought a PP girdle). I need to get rid of some of the extra fat, and maybe lose another 10 lbs if I want to be at my pre-baby weight. But I was so thin before, I honestly think I'd like to keep a little of the curves, just get rid of the tummy and some of the extra fat. :) It isn't easy! But I'm BF, so I know that's helping me lose weight, too. Just keep at it in a healthy way. It won't happen over night!

• kfooy1kfooy1 member
    Be careful that there is stagnant period In exercise where you are only doing one type of exercise you will plateau with your weight loss. I'm 9 weeks pp and have lost my pregnancy weight but I've been trying to mix it up and my job is very psychically demanding, but stick with it, you'll get there. I'm more sad about stretch marks and my ab region not being what it was but I'm trying to be patient! Good luck!!!
  • It's so hard not to be hard on yourself. Just remember if usually takes a lot of time to get back to what you were before, and even then sometimes our bodies just never look the same like they did pre baby. I don't have any great advice, but i would say to try and not stress over it and put pressure on yourself to be a certain weight. Once I stopped weighing myself all the time and stopped obsessing over my weight, I became a lot happier. Now I just do my best everyday to make healthy choices and maybe get a walk in around the neighborhood with my two boys.... But I've also embraced my stretch marks, loose stomach skin and the fact that things are a little saggy now haha!
  • I have decided I need to join weight watchers. I'm 8 weeks out and am just feeling huge. So I am walking and am going to join to get my eating in point too. I also broke out my Fitbit
  • I just looked at picture that was taken today with me in it and I couldn't believe how huge I look. I just bought free weights so I can lift weights at home. I wish I could lose weight quicker. I hate feeling huge!
  • Having to put on clothes is the worst! Maternity clothes are saggy, but my pre-pregnancy clothes are too tight/short or chesty. I dread going out in public because I literally have nothing to wear, my hair hasn't been dyed in months and I'm going grey, my eyebrows are wild. Lol. I'm breast feeding and walking and after the water weight came off, I haven't lost anything. In fact I seem to be gaining more fat by sitting around with the baby! :(
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I got lucky and lost most of the weight soon after. I'm almost at pre-pregnancy weight and not one single pair of pants fit past my hips. I'm pretty sure this will be a permanent thing. Not happy about having to buy a whole new wardrobe.
  • @TwinsCitiesMomma I feel your pain - pretty much at pre-pregnancy weight (minus the 6 pack, but that took years to gain and 9 simple months to lose :)) ) but my damn jeans just will not fasten over my new hips. I suppose I should be glad for a more womanly shape, but clothes are expensive!
  • ssrennie said:

I have decided I need to join weight watchers. I'm 8 weeks out and am just feeling huge. So I am walking and am going to join to get my eating in point too. I also broke out my Fitbit

I'm a lifetime member at weight watchers and was able to go back for free until DD is 3 months old. I started back after I got the OK from my OB at 6 weeks (which by then I was down 22 lbs already) and it's been 3 weeks since then and I'm down another 6.5 lbs, so only 10 more lbs to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm a huge weight watchers fan!