December 2015 Moms
Options

Drinking!

2»

Re: Drinking!

• Options
    merci81 said:

My OB said no to drinking and caffeine. But she was really chill on deli meat. Maybe it's a NYC thing.

But how does she feel about street meet? I love New York (I lived there for almost 5 years and despite the sports rivalries, I have to say, greatest city in the world!)
  • Options
    I think occasional is fine. The whole no drinking concept came about around 40 years ago and before that women were having daily cocktails. In Europe its completely normal and non taboo for pregnant women to have wine
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have looked at this a lot my patients did ask this and I have never seen any real evidence either way about a single serving of alcohol. I am not sure what the answer is but professionally there is a liability when many people don't understand moderation. I miss the social aspect much more than the alcohol. Alcohol is definitely on my food aversion list right now. 

I had a German lady in a class who swore doctors in Germany recommended drinking dark beer because of iron and relaxation, I asked a friend who is German and she said it is absolutely NOT okay to drink in pregnancy in Germany (but that her grandma believes beer cures everything...like My Big Fat Greek Wedding windex style).

I have have looked but not found anything from a reliable source on what the recommendations are in other countries for alcohol in pregnancy. 

• Options
    I personally think that it won't hurt you to not drink alcohol for 9 months. Regardless of what the doctors say, why risk it? Have a non-alcoholic wine that tastes exactly the same without any alcohol content. My friends all had the occasional glass of wine while pregnant, I just don't see the point. In saying that, I'm not a big drinker generally. :)
  • Options
    Okay so I'm terrified that this hasn't blown up yet and we're on PAGE 2 (!!!)

I SO want beer...like, bad...but I guarantee my bf would bust a gasket lol. When I found out I was pregnant he tracked all the way back to my last period trying to figure out whether I'd had anything to drink in the last month lol, convinced I'd ruined our baby!

So much as I want to enjoy the craft beer festival we have coming up, looks like I'm out :-<
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As many women have said, I have a strong aversion to a lot of my former vices. So the thought of wine makes me cringe. I'm sure it's fine if you aren't boozing, but there seems to be no medical consensus on this.

Plus, while I would never get plastered, I like wine for the slight buzz and the flavor. To just savor the flavor for me personally is pointless.

And while my husband wouldn't smack the glass out of my hand if I did change my mind (which I'm certain I won't for a host of reasons), he'd have every right to have some say. My body, our baby. ;)
  • Options
    I feel the same way @erikaalzet! Except I was a moderate/ somewhat heavy drinker on the weekends before I found out I was preg. Now the smell/ thought revolts me... virgin margaritas all day though!

Pretty sure bf would try to have me committed if I had a 4oz glass of wine... not that I think there's anything wrong with it. Just not right for me.. it would feel like giving a baby wine. But I guess parents used to give their babes whiskey for toothaches not that long ago. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    fioripfiorip member
    I'm a wine drinker for sure, so much so that the "souvenir" my parents brought me back from their trip to Spain on February was a bottle of fancy wine. I was saving it for a special occasion. Ironic as life is, I was knocked up in March. I've decided I won't be drinking while pregnant though. I know a small glass won't hurt the baby it's just a personal choice.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    I really don't like red wine at all. I do really miss my delicious glass of white wine but not enough that I'd actually drink it. If I understand it correctly the health benefits lie in the reds anyway..? I've been pretty strict about anything I drink/eat though and just follow my own little made up rule of would I allow my baby to eat/drink this? I wouldn't allow my baby to have a cup of coffee so I don't drink coffee period even though I know we can safely have 200 milligrams a day. Of course I would never allow my baby to have a glass of wine either so that's just not happening. I can wait another 6 months, as delicious as a glass of white sounds, it will still be yummy in half a year =) 
  • Options
    rmj28rmj28 member
    I'm just tossing this out there for the Mommas that miss wine and don't want to have any while pregnant... Try V/No. It's alcohol free wine that ACTUALLY tastes like wine and not juice. My Doc says no wine until third trimester, and then very a small portion. But really.. I do like this V/No. Just a thought. :)
  • Options
    B

apea86 said:

I'm just not interested in having alcohol going through my babies immature system and having to process it whether or not a small amount should be fine.

And THERE it is @313Meg
    bahahahahaha @apea86 I was just about to post that same thing!
  • Options
    I've had two glasses of red so far. Like, total. And the second wasn't even worth it because it was super cheap (I'm all for a good cheap wine!) and awful.

Most days I don't even crave it because yay...aversions. And I'm a HUGE wine drinker.

I totally plan to have a glass here and there when I'm in the mood. Only red though since I can sorta justify it.

Side note: I miss margaritas as the weather is getting warmer.
  • Options
    fioripfiorip member

I'm just tossing this out there for the Mommas that miss wine and don't want to have any while pregnant... Try V/No. It's alcohol free wine that ACTUALLY tastes like wine and not juice. My Doc says no wine until third trimester, and then very a small portion. But really.. I do like this V/No. Just a thought. :)

Never heard of this, will definitely give it a try.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    I think the whole 'not a drop' during pregnancy is taking things to the extreme. It is put in place for liability reasons and in order to deal with people that cannot handle moderation. There are a lot of women that drink before they find out they are pregnant (and some don't find out until it is really late) and they go on having healthy babies. Having said that I do not drink and I have not really felt the need to (I am a drinker normally). But I would not freak out/frown if someone drunk and in a few months time who knows I might have the urge!
  • Options
    @marochicken I THINK the big difference is studies. There have been so few studies of weed on the fetus, but studies suggest that a bit of red wine here and there may actually help with (I believe...not an expert here) the baby's circulatory system development. Like how they say red wine, in moderation, is good for your heart.

Again...I THINK.
  • Options
    313Meg313Meg member
    I'm just not interested in having alcohol going through my babies immature system and having to process it whether or not a small amount should be fine.
    And THERE it is @313Meg
    LOL and I didn't know that your immune system is what processes alcohol!
    Happy liver dance!
  • Options
    So, I had not even half of a 2% beer (basically grapefruit soda haha) this first trimester and immediately felt guilty. That being said though, I honestly subscribe to everything in moderation. Americans freak out about abstaining from everything when they're pregnant, even when the research is extremely limited or shows only correlation and no causation. Pregnant women in Europe are still drinking a weekly glass of wine and eating their raw milk cheeses, and Japanese women continue to eat sushi and no research has been found stating that American women have healthier babies because they abstain. In fact, because of all the processed food we eat in America, more chemicals have been found in fetuses and newborns than in other countries.

That being said, because I'm suffering from morning sickness almost constantly and feel hungover every day, drinking in no way appeals to me right now. I don't know if I will feel like having an occasional drink later on, but I'm certainly not going to shame women who do.

• Options
    During my first pregnancy, I was vacationing in Italy and didn't know I was pregnant (I was about 5 weeks by the time we got home) and definitely had quite a bit of wine and a beer or two while there. My OB said that it was probably too early to do any damage, and I didn't drink for the rest of the pregnancy (except a glass of champagne at my dad's wedding), and everything was fine. 

For this pregnancy, I admittedly had one glass of red wine with dinner and water during my 5th week, and maybe one glass of red wine with dinner and water in my 6th week. We were having dinner with friends and didn't want anyone to suspect anything. Right now (11w4d) I'm not drinking anything, but might have an occasional glass with dinner later on. 

I told my mom this, and I thought she would go all "Why take the risk? Why can't you just wait for a few months?" but she said "Yeah, that's probably fine. When I was pregnant with you, my doctor suggested I have one glass of red wine a day, but I just couldn't do it."  
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited June 2015
    USA/Canada are two of the only western countries that don't RECOMMEND a regular, therapeutic dose of "soft" alcohol (as in not liquor - sticking to wine or beer) 

It's not like our countries are going up against European kids and flattening them in aptitude or anything. 

So it's likely fine. 

Unfortunately it is likely disastrous for me because my husband has a genetic alcohol toxicity. His liver lacks the enzymes necessary to process alcohol. ANY alcohol. His mom has the same thing. His dad doesn't. He and his brother both inherited it. So it's likely our kid did too. 

Does this mean the kid will be in danger if I have a glass of wine? NO CLUE. Because this country demonizes gestational alcohol consumption, there are no studies available to my doctors that allow them to make an accurate statement about that. *smh*