December 2015 Moms

Marijuana and pregnancy

I know this thread won't be for everyone but I wanted to put it out there to mamas that used to smoke or are continuing to smoke during pregnancy. I live in Canada and in a place where people are very liberal with their views on marijuana. (Pregnant and non pregnant wise).
I quit when I found out I was pregnant but I so would love a toke.
I have gfs that smoked throughout their whole pregnancy with no complications.
Anyways just want to hear other people's thoughts :)
Not looking for a debate on pro and anti marijuana - just for moms who perhaps smoke/smoked.
Maybe I'm the only one on here...hah.

Re: Marijuana and pregnancy

• I live in Colorado, almost everyone I know smokes. It's not for me but it's interesting lol. I have a friend who smoked throughout her whole pregnancy and the baby is healthy and happy. I haven't heard anything bad about smoking and pregnancy though. The guy that lives below me smokes at least 10x's a day and my windows are always open. The smell makes me pretty nauesous.

I realized I just rambled and rambled, sorry. Haha
  • Fair enough :) I doubt if you are non smoker the smell would be appealing anytime especially while pregnant.
    It seems that it's great for morning sickness so I hear.
    No worries at all glad to hear back :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I appreciate the comment Alexandrianewton and I mean this in the kindest way possible...I wasn't really looking for opinions of non smokers. More so like minded individuals that have come across this in their pregnancy journey.
  • I was just reading an article on this actually at babycenter. They say that they find a correlation between marijuana smoking during pregnancy and baby's concentration. Baby's of moms that smoke marijuana often have problems with attention, processing and concentration although they did not find a link to ADHD
  • mfargliomfarglio member
    edited June 2015
    I've been waiting for someone to post something like this. I've had multiple people (NOT medical professionals) recommend it for morning sickness but not sure I could bring myself to do it because my midwives office drug tests at every appointment anyways and will refuse to see you anymore if you have a positive test two appointments in a row.

That being said when I worked in the hospital I had a few coworkers who smoked throughout their whole pregnancy, one was even very open about it with her OB, and all 3 of them had healthy babies.

ETA: Where I used to live before moving marijuana was illegal and they would check the meconium of every NICU baby for drug use. A signed release was not required as these tests were covered under the general consent for treatment and the drug use can be traced back for months testing that way as opposed to a urine sample. I never would have even know about this had I not had so many family members who worked for NICU.
  • I smoked before I knew I was pregnant (cigarettes too) and drank. Aaaand freaked out-- I told my Doc and he said that it was probably okay, but to stop (obviously)-- the chemicals and the lack of research were his main concerns, esp. in the 1st trimester. 

SaveSave
  • EEB88EEB88 member
    Since my son was a total surprise, I smoked marijuana because when I can home from work I had "tummy aches" and it really made me feel better, but as previous posts stated, there hasn't been enough studies on the effects on baby, so I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. But it does make you think, which is better for baby? Marijuana or Zofran? As far I know, I would rather give up those kinds of things (smoking, drinking, sushi) while pregnant. Better safe than sorry! 

I haven't smoked since then so it wasn't an issue with this baby. 
  • I didn't read the original post to be asking for only like-minded individuals...I understood her request to be to hear from people who have smoked prior to conception and what they decided to do after the learning they were pregnant.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • jjmacejjmace member
    I am the child of a pregnant mamma who continued to toke throughout her pregnancy (and life). Many talks and stories with my mom revealed this interesting (and at times upsetting news). She will also claim that the marijuana back then was weaker lol. To all measurable extents I was a healthy/normal and well adjusted kiddo. I am the second child, I have a brother who's four years older than me (also healthy/normal).The story of my actual birth my mom couldn't reach my dad right away (military base... They did find him and get him to the hospital ASAP) mom takes a cab, the driver is freaking out with labor lady, she asks to toke, he agrees, arrive at hospital relaxed and dilated enough... I was born with in the hour. My mom continues to toke as grandma and watching her "play time" with my nephew is really neat. She is so connected with him and the moments they share. She's a baby whisperer ;)
  • I was a smoker as well before I got pregnant. The day I found out I quit. I have been having dreams of smoking and in them its like the first time high. Super high. But I don't think I will do it because I am super scared of dhs taking my baby if I ever test positive. I know a lot of women that did through their whole pregnancy and babies are fine. And they didnt lose custody. I also enjoy a few beers on a Saturday night but giving it up for the bundle of joy I have wanted for years is totally worth it.
  • koala1107 said:

I'll admit I enjoyed my share of marijuana in college and am a supporter of it at least becoming legal for medicinal purposes. I think in an alternate form and with proper testing the ingredients could potentially be a safer morning sickness medicine in the future. That being said, I haven't touched it in years and wouldn't consider it while pregnant or breast feeding as I wouldn't want to risk any potential problems for my baby. Using the rationale of "I have a friend who did it her whole pregnancy and her baby turned out fine" just is not nearly enough proof that it's not harmful for me to even consider. (Not actually quoting any PPs, just saying). Aside from THC and all the potential chemicals inhaled from burning, the smoke itself reduces your blood oxygen level and that can be harmful to your baby. If you really love it and live somewhere that it's legal, smoke it all you want on your own time, but stay away when there's someone else's innocent life on the line. You're sharing your body with a child right now, and if you wouldn't give a baby a smoke you shouldn't smoke yourself while its dependent on you.

:lurker:
    =D> Exactly. All of this.
  • Some links to published studies by PubMed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25895138/?i=6&from=marijuana and pregnancy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25770234/?i=7&from=cannabis and pregnancy

There are over 200 articles on PubMed for Marijuana and Pregnancy and about 50 for Cannabis and Pregnancy. From the couple I skimmed, it looks like smoking marijuana during pregnancy has similar effects as tobacco.
  • OhashfoOhashfo member
    edited June 2015
    I smoked weed during the first few weeks when I didn't know I was pregnant. What I would give to smoke right now! Esp if it helps with nausea!! BUT when I found out I was expecting, I threw my bowl away and put weed at the back of my mind. My sister in law is due July 17 and has smoked during this pregnancy, I just personally (though I want to) don't want to potentially harm the babe. I also don't want baby growing up in a house where weed is okay (I live in NC... Not legal). I didn't smoke until I was 20 and was never around it before that.
    So, as much as I want to and I don't really think there are many risks involved, I don't plan to... If something was wrong with my baby I would never forgive myself for doing something that could have been omitted.
  • Please don't risk it ...
  • I'm sorry but someone is trying to scare you. Cannibis oil is used to HELP cancer patients and it's not something that I believe will cause cancer in an unborn child
  • I live in las Vegas, NV and am a daily smoker like an 8th a day. I talked to my doctors and they told me to immediately stop my cigarette smoking (it hard but I'm complying) and for my marijuana use slow down but I can continue to smoke til bout six months then they advised me to stop do that my child's neural system and etc. Would have no complications but for now I'm still smoking
  • jjmace said:

I am the child of a pregnant mamma who continued to toke throughout her pregnancy (and life). Many talks and stories with my mom revealed this interesting (and at times upsetting news). She will also claim that the marijuana back then was weaker lol. To all measurable extents I was a healthy/normal and well adjusted kiddo. I am the second child, I have a brother who's four years older than me (also healthy/normal).The story of my actual birth my mom couldn't reach my dad right away (military base... They did find him and get him to the hospital ASAP) mom takes a cab, the driver is freaking out with labor lady, she asks to toke, he agrees, arrive at hospital relaxed and dilated enough... I was born with in the hour. My mom continues to toke as grandma and watching her "play time" with my nephew is really neat. She is so connected with him and the moments they share. She's a baby whisperer ;)

Love this story - thanks for sharing.
    I am also waiting for play time with my child and think it's going to be such a cool experience.
  • kepoole said:

Aaaaaand here we go again. She wanted a discussion, not jerks jumping her case for openly asking for a refrain from negative responses on the subject. There are many pregnant ladies who openly smoke cigarettes which have been linked to
    Low birth weight, asthma, and many more things but there "is not enough studies done" because they can't prove that it's harmful! There are dr's who say it's fine. And those who say it's not. There are dr's who say zofran is fine as those who say it's not. The point is if you're not going to join and OPEN MINDED conversation and just throw your "science" out while bashing someone, you can go somewhere. Science gives us a good starting point but not everyone is the same. Someone's uterus might be large to begin with so it IS above the pelvic bone early, sometimes you have two perfectly healthy parents and a rare abnormality still forms ... Be SUPPORTIVE OF EVERYONE different from you or not.

• Is this real life? I can't even touch this one.
  • Keep em coming @BostonBaby1 I just literally can't even.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    I saw a documentary once on parents of children with various illnesses who were giving their kids marijuana to help with symptoms. One set was driving to another state to get it legally and was terrified their child would be taken away but said they'd rather have her live a healthy life without them than suffer with them. 

• I don't understand all the bashing of scientific evidence. You have either scientific evidence or experiential evidence. I am a fan of the latter, but know that each individual's chemistry is different. As with all things in life, you have to make the choice that will allow you to rest your head at night and sleep. If science speaks to you, listen; if it's experience, listed to that instead. I provide no pro or con view on this issue.
  • I was an occasional smoker prior to finding out. Here in florida theyvdrug test you without telling you. So i quit the day i found out. This was march 26th. I went for my first appt april 13th and popped positive. Child services was called. I am testing it out of my system here at home. I still pop pos and swear to all that is holy i have NOT smoked since march 26th!!!! I habe til 28weeks to pee clean or i lose my kids. I hate this!!! I never smoke whhen i am pg. I don't even drink caffeine. I don't smoke cigarettes and rarely have i drank alcohol in my life. And now i face losing my kids over weed i smoked months ago. It metabolizes in the fat and since i am obese i guess i am screwed. I wish they would legalize it already because i smoked for my ptsd as the pills i was on made me a Zombie :(