September 2015 Moms

Walking is so hard now

up until about 2 weeks ago I was walking every day at work during my breaks. Well the last few times I've tried too, it's been so painful walking just down the block! My legs start hurting so bad, I get out of breath very easily, and I just feel the pressure on my gyna. :( anyone else having this issue when it comes to walking or working out?

Re: Walking is so hard now

• Some days I can walk with out feeling pain or fatigue and others I feel like an 80 year old woman!
  • Yes! Most of the time I don't realize how sore my legs and back are until I sit down after walking. I've been trying to do more stretches and yoga even though now the poses are different
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm just constantly uncomfortable ladies! I signed up for prenatal yoga so hopefully that will help.
  • I feel like I've been kicked really hard in the unit :(( causing me to walk sooooooo slooooow! Doesn't help when my toddler goes for a run when he sees something exciting!! Only 24 weeks too!! :-SS
  • Most days I'm totally fine. Then I get to the end of the day, and if I've walked a whole lot, it's like I've been wearing a weight belt all day long (because, hello, we basically have been!) and my legs are totally sore. Yesterday I felt like my uterus was about ready to fall right out - ouch! I definitely started to get my waddle on, just a little bit. 
  • I have had this since I was about 16 weeks. It's soooo painful I have went to my sons sports day today and I am now in agony. It drives me insane because I have a 3 year old that I can't do anything with get really upset about it
  • I thought walking would help with the swelling I'm having, but it only makes it worse and the walking is painful on my legs most days....so glad my experience is not my own.....if you ladies find a cure clue us in please....lol...
  • I walked around my new neighborhood with the doggie yesterday, and now I feel like an 85 year old woman with arthritis! Ugh killer.
  • I'm on my feet all day and walking a lot at work. By the end of the day I feel like a hunched over old lady. Most of my pain is lower back though, my legs seem okay. I guess tgats one benefit of habing really muscular legs.
  • Glad to know it's not just me, the struggle is real

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It sounds kind of ridiculous, but maybe pick up a pair or two of support stockings/socks. I'm a nurse and on the average walk about 5 miles during my 12 hour shift. I never go without my support socks and by the end of the day my legs don't ache at all and I have next to no swelling.
  • mel0601 said:
    I feel like I've been kicked really hard in the unit :(( causing me to walk sooooooo slooooow! Doesn't help when my toddler goes for a run when he sees something exciting!! Only 24 weeks too!! :-SS

I feel the same way! even sitting at my desk during the day (26 weeks) I have to walk VERY slow at first because it feels like I rode a horse way to fast for a week straight...but by the time I walk back to my desk its gone...  I'm hoping that this is a change my body will just "get used to" and maybe it will disappear soon?? (*hopeful thinking*)

• I'm with you @ABombard12 - I don't have pain in my legs or anything when walking or doing yard work but after sitting at my desk for a while, I'll get up to walk and it feels like the baby is laying right on my pelvic bone which causes me to hunch over and waddle for a bit. But usually by the time I get back to my desk, the pain is gone.
  • I still am doing my 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week and walking doesn't bother me. I definitely get tired easier and my pace has slowed down a bit, but I am not having any pain. I think my little guy has recently moved up a little higher though so I'm sure that helps with pelvic pressure. I'm sorry you ladies are experiencing pain! That does not sound fun at all. I'm only 25 weeks so maybe it is in my near future...
  • ElecinElecin member
    I've tried my best to remain fit(ish) this pregnancy but it's really hard.  Truthfully I do lots of strength training with heavy weights because...get this...walking is too hard! 

How does that even make any sense??

I feel like I've been hit by a Mack Truck after walking vs. bench pressing or deadlifting.  How nuts is that?
  • kasbkasb member
    Me too! I walked today around my company's campus twice and felt like I could hardly make it!
  • I'm 24 weeks and dreading going on a 3 mile walk for something we sponsor at work. It's required to go and I think I will actually die! LOL. It's in 2 weeks so by then I'll be 26 weeks. I'm sure I'll be waddling away by the end... :))
  • APeart2014APeart2014 member
    edited June 2015
    @rholbrook7 -Omg...I love this! I am stealing this and correcting people when they tell me I look "so cute when I waddle." You just made my night.
  • I also feel like I've been kicked in the vag... I've been working out my entire pregnancy (cardio and Jillian Michaels DVDs), haven't gained much weight but this week I'm feeling it. Thighs/buns ache and walking is a chore. My SIL bought me a prenatal yoga DVD so I think it's time to bust that out. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like they rode a horse for ten hours. Thanks ladies!
  • I'm actually having the opposite problem. I hate side sleeping and add that to sitting at a desk most of the day for an office job and the result is my hips have been bothering me. The only thing that makes them feel better is a good walk! 
  • @dmland17 I'm with you, my hips are sore with walking, my legs are fine. My back aches no matter what I do. I thought I was the only one because I'm old..lol
  • I guess we all are experiencing pain in our own ways! For me, walking around the blocks at work have been extremely challenging, shortness of breath and legs just feel heavy. Kuddos to you ladies who are living the pain free pregnancy life! Lol That's just not the case over here.
  • I'm the same. I suffer with lower back ache when I'm on my period and I had it a little bit in early pregnancy and now at 25 weeks i can barely walk for ten minutes without the bottom of my back being in bits x
  • @Elecin this is me too! Our trainer plans every workout to have a run at the beginning and end, generally just a couple short laps behind our office. The running part is way harder than the actual workout. I tend to get stitches of RL during the run. Ugh.
  • I walk about 10-2 miles a day for work (4dys/wk) and thank goodness I am not experiencing a lot of difficulty. I get through it and I have sore legs and feet at the end of the day, with some lower back pain here and there, but that's about it. A good Epsom salt bath before bed and a little bit of lounging after work with my feet up usually does the trick! I may get some compression socks this month though since it's getting reay hot out now and I'm definitely seeing some swelling. Sorry for all of your pains ladies, just keep plugging along and stay active!
  • DH and I went for a walk last night around the neighborhood (the walk we used to take was MUCH longer but now I cant make it) my gyna hurts but I can get through it just walking slower... but then last night towards the end of our walk I ended up having a LOT of pain in my right lower belly area... that radiated around to my back on that side... Has anyone else experienced this?? Any fixes? Or is this just part of the "walking is painful" phase I have hit?

• rholbrook7 Yeah I've definitely got my preggo swagger on, lol. I've noticed it's easier to walk longer and faster when I let my hips relax and do their thing, but regardless I'm walking so much slower these days!
  • @ABombard12 I get that too when I walk. I am assuming it's just the weight of the pregnancy pulling on those muscles and ligaments because they feel similar to the round ligament pains I get from sneezing or rolling over in bed- they just last until I'm done being active and have rested for a while. If that sounds like you- I would assume we are just needing to sit down and rest at that point.

Another fun new hard to walk symptom, on top of my butt cheek feeling like knives are going into it *thanks to little man pushing on my sacrum* is this achey numbness. I assume it's sciatica, it has happened in each leg. It starts out as a weird aching that gets progressively worse until it finally settles into my knee and ankle joints causing sharp pain and numbness. It's worse if I walk too much or try to put weight on the leg, then it gives out. Ugh. 

Yay for my body revolting against being active!
  • @jennsuzanne87 Yes that is exactly the feeling! Just seem to be much worse than the normal flipping over in bed/sneezing pains I get. Must just be my body screaming at me to stop moving so much while it does its thing... That's what we get for trying to stay active :)
  • ElecinElecin member
    Jenten810 said:
    @Elecin this is me too! Our trainer plans every workout to have a run at the beginning and end, generally just a couple short laps behind our office. The running part is way harder than the actual workout. I tend to get stitches of RL during the run. Ugh.

Jenten810  Me too!  And this is my first baby so I'm like...braxton hicks?  RL pain?  What is it?  Do I keep going?  I'm so confused!
  • Prenatal yoga has been AWESOME!
  • Anyone else giggling at ladies using the word "gyna"? Or am I just immature lol :-)
  • I'm doing okay thus far as long as I don't overdo it.  We went to the zoo last weekend, which is spread out over about 200 acres, and were there for about six hours.  That was ill-advised, did NOT feel great when we got home. Standing around is harder for me than actual walking.  I went to a reception last night for my husband's job, and was on my feet talking with people, the kind of "cocktail hour-ish" standing and mingling and shifting from foot-to-foot kind of visiting, for only about a half-hour, and that was no good.  I ended up having to sit.  
  • I don't have any swollen feet yet or anything, but my hips get achy and SI pain, along with lower back fatigue, becomes the issue. 
  • I've been walking about five miles a day and I've definitely slowed down a lot esp on hills. I am afraid if I skip a few days I will slow down even more! I just keep pushing through and hopefully continue until delivery no matter how slow!