1st Trimester

I want REGULAR coffee so bad!!!

I am only 5 weeks along and I am craving coffee in the worst way! I meet with my DR for the first time next week and I plan on asking her about caffeine intake. I have read a lot of articles online stating contradicting things-some say 200 mg of caffeine/day, one said 100 mg caffeine/day. Basically I want to know if I have a cup once or twice a week would that be okay and not increase my chances for miscarrying? Is there anyone who is farther along and has spoke with their doctor regarding coffee/caffeine intake and has some good input? Thanks!!

Re: I want REGULAR coffee so bad!!!

• Mine says under 200 a day if you must.
  • According to my doc for my last pregnancy, as I haven't seen her yet for this one, 200mg maximum a day. I usually limited myself to one soda a day (not a coffee drinker here) when I was pregnant with my son. If I didn't need a soda, I didn't drink one (soda is usually 35 mg and diet 45mg). However, my copy of what to expect says 200mg and that a brewed cup of coffee is usually around 135mg caffeine, instant coffe 95mg. So you can have one if you need it. 
    -Kimberly :) 
    My Ridiculous Chart                                                    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a cup every morning. Did with my last pregnancy once I desired it again.
  • I had at least one cup of coffee every day throughout my pregnancy. I could never live without it :)
  • Definitely drink a cup! I have one everyday as well and did with both of my others.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • roworthroworth member
    edited May 2015
    I have one cup of instant coffee a day in the morning with my breakfast and that's all for the rest of the day haven't had any problems
  • kacibolkacibol member
    I'm almost 8 weeks and I have one cup of coffee every morning. I went down to a 8oz cup coffee instead of my usual 12oz cup. I need coffee in order to function lol
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    A cup of coffee is fine.
  • Drink the coffee you'll be fine.
  • There is nothing wrong with having a little coffee. I am careful to stay under the 200mg limit but have coffee almost every day. It's not worth making yourself crazy for something doctors say is fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am only 5 weeks along and I am craving coffee in the worst way! I meet with my DR for the first time next week and I plan on asking her about caffeine intake. I have read a lot of articles online stating contradicting things-some say 200 mg of caffeine/day, one said 100 mg caffeine/day. Basically I want to know if I have a cup once or twice a week would that be okay and not increase my chances for miscarrying? Is there anyone who is farther along and has spoke with their doctor regarding coffee/caffeine intake and has some good input? Thanks!!

So drink a cup... :-??

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Drink coffee. 

a small coffee every day won't do any harm. I've been drinking two or three coffees a week since the beginning - which was my intake before pregnancy. 

Just lay off the energy drinks.

• SovvySovvy member
    Coffee is life. Go for it.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • I drank coffee throughout my first pregnancy almost daily, and had no problems. Just nothing with extra shots or anything like that. Unless your doc tells you not to for some reason, a cup a day should be fine. Go for it!
  • You can have one cup a day. I did that with my first pregnancy and at 5 weeks also, I am having one a day. Just avoid other caffinated drinks. I couldn't live without the coffee!!
  • I have 2 cups a day and did through both my other pregnancies which my doc was fine with. I couldn't go without!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker