December 2015 Moms
Options

Don't know what to do, where to turn

just found out my dads insurance plan won't cover my ob or any ob bills, for the doctor my generaL practitioners set me up with even though it's through the same clinic, have no idea how were pay for the visits, delivery

Re: Don't know what to do, where to turn

• Options
    313Meg313Meg member
    MrsBwIVF said:
    You need to contact the insurance company and find an ob that's covered, then switch over to them, even if they aren't in the same clinic. Then you need to contact that new provider and ask to set up an appt and find out if they need anything from your gp. It shouldn't be that big of a hassle.
    Exactly. There should be someone who can help you. Just call them. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you can't get your insurance to pay for any OBs. You should apply for Medicaid. Medicaid pays all bills 100%.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    do you have to be on your dads? Could you try being on state insurance? I was with my first bc of Obama care and am with this pregnancy (bc we are only engaged not married yet) and I had everything covered, with wonderful doctors and hospital of my choice. Try looking into that. I know for the state of MI they can't turn you down if pregnant
  • Options
    You can also look into care at the health department...a lot of them are income based...which means services are rendered on a sliding scale...most don't employ OB's, but rather midwives or women's health NPs...also, like everyone else suggested, apply for Medicaid.  It is doable to get most if not all of your costs covered.  You also need to look into WIC...they can help you with groceries etc.
  • Options
    I'm on my dads cause his will cover me till I'm 26, I'm only 19, and technically still live at home, but am always back and forth between my parents and my boyfriends house cause I'm. Night time college student, and hate driving late, I'm not working, but I think you have to be employed to ally for kancare?(Medicaid)
  • Options
    rynneyrynney member
    Honestly, you need to talk to your dad about what his plan does and doesn't cover. I'm sure that ob visits ARE covered, it just might not be for the dr office you originally sought out. Another method would be to go to the carrier website, select the proper plan and find an ob/gyn that accepts the plan and new patients. That's what I did when I moved 8 yrs ago. Granted, I was on my own insurance but that doesn't matter.
  • Options
    @gaithash you can still apply and get Medicaid at your age even if you are living with your parents. I'm in the same situation and don't have a job but I am a full-time student. Under the section where they ask about what type of income you have you can leave blank or say your parents give you $20 a week or so. And mention that you're going to school. They don't need to know major details about where you are staying (parents or boyfriends) if your permanent address is your parents house, they acknowledge that. Look into Medicaid if you want a preferred ob or hospital.
  • Options
    Definitely switch to a doctor that is covered. I'm sure that's all it is. Better of switching and knowing it's covered.
  • Options
    I'm sure OB is covered, just not the DR you are currently seeing. Call the plan administrator and they can tell you exactly what your coverage is and who (which Drs) is covered.
    I've dealt with a TON of insurance issues over the past 15 years and used to work in HR so if you want to PM me I can try to help you!
  • Options
    @kyleneum13 makes an excellent point! Does your bf have insurance that may cover the baby?
    OP, the faster you start to make phone calls and do research, the better. Don't be shy when be calling, always ask a question you have no matter how dumb you may think it is. I'd suggest enlisting dad's help but don't be dependent on it, also make your decisions on what you think is best for you and the baby.
  • Options
    Thanks lady's, @Knottie15445834 will I have to let them know I already have insurance? If so where and how? And will that work since my name isn't on any of the financial aid?
  • Options
    You don't need to be employed to apply for Medicaid. That will be a benefit for you as they go off income. Try going to a family med doctor then your baby can see them after too. If your in Medicaid your baby will to once born, your caseworker will tell you all about that. And like someone said you will qualify for wic and that is such a huge help!!
  • Options
    I have seen many insurances that don't cover maternity care for dependents. You might want to call the insurance company and see if that is the issue.
  • Options
    ash413ash413 member
    I also want to point out that many plans are cover maturity benifits for policy holder or spouse only. Insurance companies are not required to cover maternity for dependents and many (if not most) do not. You need to call the insurance company to see 8f they will cover your maternity care at all
  • Options
    @gaithash I talk to a benefit coordinator at the hospital I have care at. The financial aid shouldn't be an issue. Just proof of admission each semester stating you're full-time or part-time. As long as it's a verified document requested from the admissions office it'll work.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll try the online application tonight when I get home,