July 2015 Moms

weight of my baby

So I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I just had an ultrasound done the other day and they were telling me that my baby weighs 5lbs is that possible or what BC this is my first kid and I'm scared and worried

Re: weight of my baby

• It's possible but ultrasounds can be off as well.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• At my 33 week ultrasound, our little girl was weighing in at 4 lb 13 oz so it is possible. However sometimes they can be off
  • Loading the player...
  • Why would you be scared?
  • Why would you be scared?

She has 7 weeks left, baby is 5 lbs, I would be scared haha BIG baby coming :P I'm sure everything will work out though, and just like the others were saying, ultrasounds can be off
  • At 34 weeks they said mine was 6lb 1oz we will see what size he is when he eventually appears
  • 31 weeks and baby girl is measuring in at 4lbs 2oz, but my doctor said she doesn't even really pay attention to that cause it literally can be anywhere from a lb under that or over that weight. Unfortunately this late in the game ultrasounds arnt very good at measuring.
  • My baby boy was estimated at 6 lbs 1 oz at 34+5 weeks. His weight estimate is 8.5 if I go to 40 weeks. His head also is a week and a half ahead...sigh...big boy and I'm very petite.
  • Had my 32 week ultrasound yesterday and our little girl is measuring at 4lbs 12ozs. Hard to say how accurate it is though
  • It's an estimate
  • It's an estimate but big babies run in my family. At 31 weeks my baby weighed 4.3. I wasn't concerned, but my doctors reaction made me think. So apparently she thought it was a good estimate.
  • I just had a scan last week i am 32 weeks and my baby is measuring well over 5lbs
  • Ultrasounds are very inaccurate when it comes to weight. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • You never know unt you have the baby. They kept telling me my first born was going to be big and she ended up being 7 pounds 2 ounces and dipping down to 6 pounds 5 ounces after birth so just relax and see what happens.
  • I'm 33 weeks and on Wednesday I had an ultrasound that said 5lbs 1oz
  • coopmkecoopmke member
    At 32 weeks the twins were estimated at 4 lb 9oz and 4 lb 15oz
    IVF #1 September 2014 - Transferred one 5-day blast : BFN
    FET #1 October 2014 - Transferred two 5-day blasts: BFP!!
    << Due July 10, 2015 with our first baby! >>

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thnx for all the replies I just didn't know bc this is my first kid and I'm still a lil new at this stuff
  • Fact: the home page of the bump will tell you the approximate size of your baby.
  • You'd think with all medical advancement they'd find a safe and more accurate way to measure babies wieght. Howerver ultrasounds are still just inages based off soundwaves so it is not a perfect science. You wont get an entirely accurate wieght measurement until after they are born. lol!
  • At 29 weeks out LO was weighing approximately 3lbs 7ozs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 34w+4d today baby is measuring 5,5 lb
  • I am 32 weeks and my baby boy is 5lbs as well...doc said he's gonna be a big boy..if he goes full term he will hit 10lbs...lol not to scare u more. But boys are usually bigger anyways and I make nice size babies..this my 3rd!
  • With my first son at 30 weeks he was 6 lbs the doctor said he was going to be 11 lbs he made it to 10 lbs 8oz 21 1/2 in birth wasn't bad so don't worry about that everything happens naturally what was bad was after he weighed a lot to carry while I was recovering DH mainly got him for me in the middle of the night so I could breastfeed DS2 is measuring big too but I'm hoping this time their off I want a regular 7 or 8 pounder I know selfish lol I know it's not going to happen but it doesn't hurt ti hope. Good luck to both of us and like I said don't worry when it comes to it your body will know what to do
  • Oh he was born at 38+6 weeks
  • Why would you be scared? If you read all the replies, most of our babies fall within the same weight. I just had an ultrasound done today at 33 and 4 days and mine is also 4lbs 12oz and the doctor said it falls within the 45 percentile, which according to him, I couldn't ask for better. And I agree, ultrasounds are not 100% accurate.
  • Why would u be scared? That is a normal weight. I'm 32 weeks my baby is weighing 4 pounds 3 ounces. Ask your doctor what percentile your baby is in. Mine is 47%
  • I wish I had another ultrasound so I could see her and get an approximate weight (even tho it may not be accurate). I haven't had one since week 19.
  • I'm also a FTM and When I went in at 32 weeks my big boy weighed 4.13... Doctor said "well he's not enormous but he's pretty big" lol he measured in the 70th percentile... Also, I was told he had a pretty big head, but he gets that honest from both sides! Doctor wasn't concerned so neither am I. I go Friday for my 36 week ultrasound.. So we'll see how much he's grown! They estimate for him to be between 8-9 pounds if I carry full term. We shall see!
  • 32+1 week US today....baby 4lbs 10oz and 68th percentile.
  • Just had a scan at 33 weeks my lil man is measuring 6lbs 1oz... my dd2 was he same way and came at 38 weeks 9lbs 10oz of perfect baby (and all natural too ;) ) you will be okay ♡
    BabyGaga
  • At 32+4 my baby measured 3.5 which is around the 10th percentile. We go tomorrow to remeasure and see if induction is necessary this weekend. Feel blessed to have big babies!!!
  • mrsRoy24 said:
    At 32+4 my baby measured 3.5 which is around the 10th percentile. We go tomorrow to remeasure and see if induction is necessary this weekend. Feel blessed to have big babies!!!

I'm in the same boat. I had an U/S yesterday at 34w 1d. Baby measured 3lbs 11oz - she's in the 3rd percentile. Now I'm starting bi-weekly appointments with NST and U/S. I'd take a big baby in a heartbeat!
  • FWIW, big baby doesn't always = tough birth. I've known 5'10" women that had more trouble birthing a 7 lb-er than 5'1" women who birthed a 10 lb-er. Just trust that your body will do what it's supposed to and rely on your doctor to make the right decisions when the time comes.
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I had an u/s today, 32 weeks + 1 day. Baby is approximately 4lbs 8ozs. But my doctor is happy because I'm on bedrest due to preterm labor. She said a little bigger is good in case I go early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 34 week scan, baby weighed in at 5 lbs 10oz.  Should I be worried??!  They said she will be little over or little under 8 lbs when she is born and is currently in the 61% tile.  They told me everything is fine and she is not too big but I am reading everyone else's baby's weight and it seems like I have a big baby xD
  • My 34 week scan, baby weighed in at 5 lbs 10oz.  Should I be worried??!  They said she will be little over or little under 8 lbs when she is born and is currently in the 61% tile.  They told me everything is fine and she is not too big but I am reading everyone else's baby's weight and it seems like I have a big baby xD
    For the second time. Anything at this point is just an estimate.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• rw3190rw3190 member

WTF my doctor hasn't done an ultrasound since 3/25

I should be 32 weeks this week.....is that weird? I have been asked a ton if I know her size etc etc and I always feel like an idiot bc I don't have an answer.

• rw3190 said:

I should be 32 weeks this week.....is that weird? I have been asked a ton if I know her size etc etc and I always feel like an idiot bc I don't have an answer.

For a routine pregnancy, you only have a confirmatory u/s at the beginning, and then an anatomy scan. They only do "extra" ultrasounds if there is a concern or anything is out of the ordinary.
  • I just had my ultrasound the other day at 35 weeks 1 day. She was measuring in at 6 pounds 9 ounces! Ultrasound tech told me that's big! So I was worried about a big baby too but like previous posts my doctor told me to ignore it, it's just a guess. But so hard to not think about having a 9 pound baby!
  • rw3190rw3190 member

For a routine pregnancy, you only have a confirmatory u/s at the beginning, and then an anatomy scan. They only do "extra" ultrasounds if there is a concern or anything is out of the ordinary.

So how do I know how big we expect her to be? How do the doctors know?
  • gotdiesel2007gotdiesel2007 member
    edited June 2015
    rw3190 said:

rw3190 said:

So how do I know how big we expect her to be? How do the doctors know?

In a normal pregnancy it is a surprise. There isn't really a reason to know. This is my third and never known and it was no big deal.

Even if you had an ultrasound they can and are wrong!
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15