TTC After a Loss

What to expect- first period after D&C?

I'll be a month out from my D&C on Thursday and my body is up to something.. I don't know if it is gearing up to ovulate or if my period is on its way. I started having these horrible cramps today, sharp/stabbing, and they seem to be getting worse with time (started off feeling like maybe my pants where too tight or gas or something and transformed, in an afternoon's time, to serious level 6-7 cramps :( and now nearly constant instead of coming and going like at first) and Tylenol doesn't touch them. Also, my cervical fluid is changing. It has been sticky for awhile now but as of today it is slimy like egg whites and in big globs at times,clear except for some white stripes. I have read that the first period after a D&C can be painful so I am thinking that I might be getting ready to start (plus my ovulation strips are nearly stark white and getting lighter). So I was hoping you all may be able to fill me in on what I can expect!? How long does this cramping last before AF (aunt flo) makes her debut? How long after AF shows does the pain last? How bad did it get for you? What about bleeding? Light? Heavy? Anything you can give me a heads up about will be appreciated. My first loss was an induction and delivery so this is my first loss with a D&C so this is all new, and much more painful, territory for me. TIA!
Kristie
Mom to 2 earth angels (2006,2010) and 2 angels in heaven (2009- 20w 5d; cause unknown, 2015- 7w4d; trisomy 22).
imageimage

Re: What to expect- first period after D&C?

• I don't have any answer as I'm only 2 weeks after my miscarriage, I hope things settle down and aren't to bad for you.
  • I actually went to the doctor on the Tuesday before my period started (6wks post op) because I was having similar pains to what you are describing here. The doctor thought maybe I released an egg but seriously it felt like someone had punched me in the stomach repeatedly, I was very sore. Anyway on that Friday my period started out with egg white slimey cervical fluid mixed with streaks of red, then finally picked up into a full blown period later that night. By that day the soreness I was experiencing was gone. The day after my AF started I had pretty severe cramps, but I took some Midol and was okay. My AF lasted for 7 days, but the bleeding was consistent with periods before my pregnancy. Hope that helps.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • kimey1kimey1 member
    I think you could relate to @bntfroggie more than me since I had cramps right afterwards, pains which got better over the following 2 weeks. My AF started exactly 4 weeks afterwards, and seems like it'll end like my usual ones (7days). Except I didnt experience much other than fatigue this AF, which is really abnormal for me. I usually experience bad or severe cramps and usually need to take a day off work.
    So, i guess it means the 1st AF can be very different from what it usually is. I hope you feel better soon.
  • The cramps are gone.. not that I am complaining, I am glad they are. I am confused though. Maybe because I just woke up and have been completely inactive for a few hours?
    Kristie
    Mom to 2 earth angels (2006,2010) and 2 angels in heaven (2009- 20w 5d; cause unknown, 2015- 7w4d; trisomy 22).
    imageimage

• @twointow83 That is what mine did and a day later I started AF.  I felt dumb for going to the doctor, but I seriously thought something was wrong since it wasn't so much cramping as just overall soreness in my abdomen.  I hope you continue to feel better
  • Spoke too soon :( They are back :'( Hope AF IS coming 'cuz I am going to be ticked if I am in pain for no friggen reason.

Scale of 1-10, how bad did the cramps get dor you all??
    Kristie
    imageimage

• Well I can tell you they were bad enough that I called my doctor and they brought me in for an exam just to be safe.  They were manageable with pain meds, but I wanted to make sure something bigger wasn't wrong before I was just masking my symptoms with drugs.  But it was achy to walk and move, but I had only mild pain if I was standing still.  I still wouldn't have called what I had cramps which is why I went to the doctor, I've had bad cramps this was something different.  A friend of mine who just had a child told me it sounded like my uterus contracting back to it's original size she said she felt similar pains after she had her baby, it was cramps just a general sore/achyness.

Maybe you should call your doctor and see what they think.
  • Never be afraid to call your doctor and ask their opinion, but what you describe was in the realm of what I experienced. The worst post loss AF cramps I ever had I would place at 7 on the 1-10 scale and I definitely took hydrocodone for them. But, they didn't last long, two days off and on, made easier with the drugs and curling up with a heating pad.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Thanks for the tips. So much happening all at the same time (waiting for results on genetic testing due any day, trying to figure out what is going on with my body, my son's b-day... just to name a few) and it's a bit overwhelming to begin with and the pain isn't helping :( Just wish I would start already, assuming that is what is going on, so I can just get it over with. *sigh* Again, to all, thanks for the answers and the tips!
    Kristie
    imageimage

• You bet. This is hard enough to deal with. Pain doesn't help.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage