June 2015 Moms
Options

Induction

Ok ladies I'm freaking out a little. I'm being induced tonight (39w5d) due to GD. I have had membranes stripped twice this week and have lost my plug but still no labor. I am worried for two reasons. 1. I was induced with my first (cervidil and pit) and it took 54 hours. (I was only 37 weeks though that time and my body clearly was not ready) Thankfully i still delivered vaginally but it was a long tough process. Super bummed I have to be induced again. 2. I called to get the plan from my OB nurse and was told that they would be using cytotec this time instead of cervidil. Seemed legit to me since cervidil did diddly squat for me last time and it hurt like a mother. However once I got off the phone I made the fatal error of googling cytotec and now im convinced my uterus will rupture and I will die. Ugh..stupid google.
Bottom line, I love and trust my OB but now I'm worried too. I hate having to be induced again and now there's this added layer of fear. I plan on talking this through with the staff when I get admitted tonight but didn't know if anyone could share any of their experiences with cytotec, good or bad. I'll keep everyone posted. Prayers please!

Re: Induction

• Options
    No experience with any meds for induction (FTM) but I'm wishing you well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this as I'm a FTM, but I would definitely talk it over with your care providers when you get to the hospital, especially since you are afraid. You're further along now and your body might respond better to the drugs you were given to induce labor the first time. I'm not a healthcare expert by any means, but those are my thoughts. I'm wishing you the best of luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm being induced wed night! Good luck tonight! At my hospital we use both cervidil and cytotec for inductions all the time, I have probably delivered over 300 babies over the past couple years since working in L&D and have only seen one uterine rupture in which both mom and baby ended up being fine!!! Mom had to have an emergency hysterectomy but no one died! As this is your second baby and your fist was a vag delivery hopefully this induction will be faster for you!
  • Options
    Don't stress about cytotec! You are monitored to make sure you aren't contracting too frequently, and if anything pitocin is much more high risk. Wishing you a fast, easy and painless (hey while we're wishing..can't hurt) induction and labor!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Im having my induction June 8th if LO doesnt come before hand. This will be my first medically assisted labor( all other children (3) were delivered au-natural with no interventions) accept I tore with my second delivery and recieved an episiotomy with my first and third, so now Im sort of curious as to how painful pit can actually be if Im already dialated to 4cm and 70% effaced and use to the "Real" pain of labor?! Our youngest is 8yr so I know so much has changed since his birth. Ive searched google as well as May Bump threads related to pit inductions and have mostly read Horror storied of extreme contractions but still no natural or IV medicated pit inductions. Im mostly seeing FTM opting for epi and saying everything was smooth with pit induction and labor progressed quickly therafter. Any possitive exp out there?

• Options
    MsPrettyT said:

Im having my induction June 8th if LO doesnt come before hand. This will be my first medically assisted labor( all other children (3) were delivered au-natural with no interventions) accept I tore with my second delivery and recieved an episiotomy with my first and third, so now Im sort of curious as to how painful pit can actually be if Im already dialated to 4cm and 70% effaced and use to the "Real" pain of labor?! Our youngest is 8yr so I know so much has changed since his birth. Ive searched google as well as May Bump threads related to pit inductions and have mostly read Horror storied of extreme contractions but still no natural or IV medicated pit inductions. Im mostly seeing FTM opting for epi and saying everything was smooth with pit induction and labor progressed quickly therafter. Any possitive exp out there?

My experience wasn't positive given that I ended up with an unplanned csection. However, the actual induction process wasn't bad at all. My contractions were completely manageable until the section was on the table, then I opted for an epidural (not for pain, but for preparation for the surgery). However, maybe if my contractions were a little more violent I would've progressed enough to push DS out...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My induction is also scheduled the 8th, I'll be going for the epidural for sure. I think induction with pitocin without epidural is not a good idea.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have had an induction with my 3 children using pitocin and I did receive an epidural. The pitocin does make them slightly stronger but it was not anything like the "omg you feel like you're dying" stories. I am also being induced on Thursday with pitocin again.

For me they gave pitocin and when it really started working they broke my water and lowered the pit, that was when contractions got to the phase of "I'm ready for my epidural now please". I was also dilated to a 7 by this point. I hope this helps some and best of luck to you and LO!
  • Options
    Pitocin is much more painful IF your membranes are ruptured. (Waters broke).

• Options
    My pitocin experience was positive. I delivered both my daughters vaginally without meds. With my first, labor started on its own and no pitocin was used. With my second, I was induced with pitocin. It felt pretty similar to me. The pitocin labor was a tad more painful but my daughter was 10lbs, two pounds bigger than my first.

Best wishes for a smooth induction!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies so much, today I also had a membrane sweep done around 3pm (my first EVER). Not as bad as I expected besides a little cramping (as with any vaginal exam) but it took about 1.5 minutes, its 11pm now and no real contractions accept for BH that started within minutes after I was on my way home. OB says I'm still 4cm dialated and 80% effaced. LO head is firmly pressed against sack\cervix so its possible things will start progressing soon. No guarantees of course but I'm very hopefull my current "favorable cervix condition" helps come June 8th if sweep isn't effective.

(Induction scheduled at 39 weeks because I have seizures (prior condition): (