October 2015 Moms

Baby hates the doppler lol

I have a rented doppler at home and my baby hates it!  I was feeling some movement a few weeks ago but now he/she is very relaxed and doesn't move as often unless I use the doppler!  Baby just doesn't like it and won't sit still for me to get a good reading.  The baby will also kick/jab more vigorously until I remove the doppler wand.  I just can't help but laugh!  This kid likes to rest easy and not be bothered haha.

Also, happy 20 weeks to October 14th mamas!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby hates the doppler lol

• You know the Doppler and ultra sound is very disruptive to the baby. I really don't think they should even sell them to non medical personnel.
    I would never use one regularly, that's just mean.
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I only used it about once a week, if that, when I was feeling anxious.  I'm returning it this weekend after my 20 week scan anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh you rented, that's smart. Some people buy them and go nuts checking everyday!
    I'm just a wacko always thinking I'm bothering the baby, even if my pants are too tight. Lol
    Same with my first. Sorry if I was snarky :P
  • i noticed my little boy is like that too. he absolutely will not stay still long enough for the doctor to get a good reading. I am honestly surprised we were able to get the ultrasound don't right lol. Although for the first half of the ultrasound she said he was basically pinned down by a braxton hicks contraction so that could be why he was so calm at first.
  • Kbhunter said:
    Oh you rented, that's smart. Some people buy them and go nuts checking everyday! I'm just a wacko always thinking I'm bothering the baby, even if my pants are too tight. Lol Same with my first. Sorry if I was snarky :P
    it's ok!  It obviously annoys my LO which is why I try not to bother too often.  It is hard to find the heartbeat regardless because LO moves around a lot like I said above lol.  
  • Too funny! My husband calls it hide and seek. I use mine maybe once a week for literally a minute and have been finding it much harder to get a good read lol!!!
  • Kbhunter said:

You know the Doppler and ultra sound is very disruptive to the baby. I really don't think they should even sell them to non medical personnel.
    I would never use one regularly, that's just mean.

This information about dopplers I've found is actually false. I have only found (according to the FDA website) that it is just ultrasounds that should not be done frequently. Dopplers use a non invasive frequency that has not been proven to be harmful to baby. Doctors only frown upon people using at home dopplers because it may cause unneeded stress for mom if she is not able to locate baby's heart beat.
  • My babies have always hated it too. You heat a bunch of swooshing as they run away from it. I have my midwives use threw fetoscope from this point on and then doppler again for labor heart tone checks.
  • I haven't used my doppler for weeks and today I tried it and baby was not happy! She kept moving and hitting my bladder in the process so I couldn't hear her HB. First time she reacted this way but I prob won't use it again for awhile
  • My son also doesn't like ultrasounds or dopplers ! I don't have my own but when I go in for Dr apps, she has a hard time getting his heartbeat because he moves away.
  • PPs brought up the doppler debate, and I am not going to cite research here, but I feel like if you can tell that something bothers your LO, maybe it's time to shift gears! :) 

I listen to a variety of music, and it's so interesting to me that some of it really gets my LO movin' and other stuff seems to lull LO to sleep! It's good to be in tune with what you think your LO likes/dislikes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • But how can you tell if baby likes it or doesn't? I play it music and on some artists there isn't much movement and then with others he or she is rolling all over the place....i don't know how to interpret it.. is that terrible?
  • My doctor said it's fine to use the fetal doppler at home. I topically only use it once a week and can find my baby's heartbeat almost instantly now that I'm used to it.