August 2015 Moms
Options

How ready are you?

Im wondering if I'm way behind on everything or I'm ok since I'm probably one of the later "August Moms" since I'm due 8/28(I have a feeling he'll even be a September baby). We really don't have anything. This is our first baby, I ordered a crib, and just waiting to receive it via mail. (Btw- wayfair.com got a $500 crib for $170!-u all should check It out!) I'm not sure exactly when my baby shower is since my sister is very insisting on having it be a surprise, I think it's the last weekend in June. But other than the crib I just have a few things. Am I ok for being 27/28 weeks? Or do I need to go into panic mode.

On a side note.. I can't believe I/were in the 7th month and 3rd trimester! I've felt like this pregnancy has been taking its dear sweet time. And now just in a few months our sweet little girls n boys will be here!! All I think about is holding and loving our little boy. I'm shockingly not worried about delivery, just recovering. Second trimester was a breeze for me(hope it was for u too). But now I can tell im going to have an energy/moving around issue. Ok sorry rant over. Xoxo

Re: How ready are you?

• Options
    I think it depends on how OCD/Type A you are lol. I'm very Type A (and have most of the big stuff left from first baby) so her room is pretty much set up. I'll be washing her clothes and some of the padding on previous bouncers and stuff in the next few weeks. I think you're fine, my first didn't even use his nursery until 3 months or so, when he started sleeping longer. 

I would start looking at some of the bigger things (like strollers, car seats, bouncers, swings) just so you have an idea of what you'd like. But with 3 months left, if you're relaxed about where you are, then you're good. Now in the next month or so I would get moving lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's not really a matter of being behind. It's more a matter of your personality and what you're comfortable with. I'm the type of person who is overly prepared WAY in advance. I'm going crazy that my husband still hasn't brought up the totes with our stored baby stuff and that we don't have a car seat yet. I have a friend who didn't even put the crib together until 2 weeks before her due date, and she only did it then because our other friend forced her to.

In reality, (heaven forbid) you had the baby now, he/she would probably be spending a couple months in the hospital giving you plenty of time to shop for baby, so I really wouldn't stress over not having the stuff yet. 2 months before the due date is typical for a baby shower, so you're really not "behind" anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    louiseambroselouiseambrose member
    edited June 2015
    I'm due the 29th, also a FTM. We have a 1 br apartment, so baby will be in our bedroom for the first year. (So, no nursery to set up.) I have some clothes that we've received as gifts, but they're still tags-on in their shopping bags. I'm hoping to get to Ikea this weekend to get a dresser, so I can start washing clothes and get them put away. We made a registry that includes our selected pack 'n' play (in lieu of a crib) and car seat, etc. Our shower is 7/18, I think we'll have most of what we registered for after that. Anything else, we'll have roughly 6 weeks to get set up. I think (hope!!) we'll be fine!
  • Options
    I have a crib and a rocker that's it. I'm waiting for my showers to see what I get. Then I'll buy whatever else I need
  • Options
    I'm due 8/3 and our nursery is being painted this week (my SIL is doing a mural). So far we only have his dresser (not yet assembled), rocking chair and some clothes. My shower is Sunday though so I've been putting off shopping until I know what gifts we've gotten. Have you registered for your shower, if you plan on doing that? IMO that's the only thing you may want to do now if you haven't already.
  • Options
    I am definitely not a type A personality but I had everything completely ready about 35 weeks. Just because you never know.
  • Options
    Like others have said it depends on mostly on you and your personality. You haven't had your shower yet so i really wouldn't buy anything until after that to see what you get there first. I'm zero percent ready but really 90% ready at the same time. This is my third so we have pretty much everything we will need. But I havnt gotten anything out of the attic or checked to see what still works or not yet. I have tons of clothes to go through and wash. Truth of the matter is babies really don't NEED much. Car seat, Diapers, formula/bottles if you choose to formula feed, pack of onesies and some sleepers. Maybe some pacifiers. I could pick all of that up in less than 15 minutes at target if I went into labor right this second. I'm pretty laid back and a minimalist so I'm feeling fine with my level of readiness.

This. I haven't really done much (except some clothes shopping since I am having a girl this time and have all boy clothes) this time around, but I don't feel unprepared either. I think a huge part of it is this time around I have a toddler to contend with every day, so my time is pretty booked with that, but when I was pregnant with him I had more time and we were getting all sorts of new things so I was more motivated/excited to get everything ready. That is NOT to say I am not excited for DD, I definitely am, I just realize this time around that I don't have to wash every single outfit she will wear for the first two years of her life before she is here...she won't be in the nursery for a few months anyway, so we can take our time on that....she won't be going in the bouncer or any of that stuff until she can at least hold her head up (probably longer) anyway, so no need to pull that stuff up yet. As my due date gets closer, I will wash the newborn stuff and some of the 0-3 and we will probably get the pack'n'play set up in our room - but I know it takes a whopping 15 minutes, so even if we don't until she is here, I am not stressing it. Car set will probably go in a week or two before I am due, or we may just bring it with us when I go into labor and DH can put the base in at the hospital. HA, so different this time round!
  • Options
    laylababe3laylababe3 member
    edited June 2015
    I'm also due August 28th! Congrats!

I'm exactly where you are, ordered the crib but it's not in yet. Still working on cleaning the apartment and making room.. we have only a few outfits and books from family so far. Our shower is mid July, I plan to shop the days following for anything we didn't receive and wash everything after that. I feel like 3ish months will be enough time to get everything set, with lots of help from DH because I am also starting to feel the third trimester effects!

I feel like we'll be ready in time, I'm sure you guys will be too.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I think you have plenty of time. This is our third, my due date is August 4th. I have bought things/organized hand me downs so that I have clothes, bottles, pack n play and toys gathered together in the closet.

On my to-do list: Figure out/purchase car seat/s(trying to fit 3 in a row, we had no luck at Babies R Us, ugh), pack hospital bag, wash baby clothes, buy small pack of diapers and formula to get us started, wash bottles, and set up pack n play.
  • Options
    You're fine! I'm due August 1 and we have a crib sitting in the middle of the room, tons of hand me down clothes, and a few hand me down gadgets (rock and play, swing). Haven't prepped the room, had our shower yet, or washed all of the clothes. I figure that's what the rest of June/July is for. Plenty of time!
  • Options
    e1223e1223 member
    Third time mom and I just found out I'll likely be having a c-section at 36 weeks due to placenta previa - we hadn't done anything yet, literally nothing - however we do have easy access to everything we need (crib, clothes, baby stuff) so I'm not too concerned. My original due date is August 20th so now prep has just been slightly accelerated since we won't have that last month to get stuff done!
  • Options
    ptelfraptelfra member
    edited June 2015
    FTM and I have nothing! I have some clothes I've been given and have bought myself, a Phil and Ted's stroller a friend gave me, boppy pillow and that's all.. I still live at home with mom but my room is big enough that I won't need the visitors room for him. The crib I plan on ordering mid/end of this month (HELLO JUNE! :D ) but that's about it so far. I am crazy about being prepared and all planned out but I'm very very impatient, if I get everything ready now the days left till baby is here will feel like forever to me, just looking at his stuff everyday will slowly kill me!
  • Options
    I'm due 8/29 and am right there with you. My coworkers gave me a shower a few weeks ago so I have a few things, but mostly gift cards. My parents are going to buy the crib/mattress, but they haven't ordered them yet (which is kind of stressing me out LOL). I have the next 6 weeks off for summer break, so I hope to get the nursery cleaned out and set up best I can before my shower with family/friends and school starts again.

Don't worry, it'll all get done eventually!
  • Options
    Due 8/28 and I feel unprepared right now....but I know we will get there. We have the room painted with the dresser and rocking chair set up........I bought some blinds and curtains but they haven't made it up yet, crib is still in pieces and I don't feel any urgency yet to get it set up. With the exception of stocking up on baby wipes that's about all we have done. I would prefer to have everything set up by 36 weeks which is 1 week after my baby shower....but will see how it goes....I can feel myself slowing down already so if it takes a bit longer that's ok too! 

• Options
    I have everything ready to go. I'm high risk so my dr said the latest she will let me go before inducing is 7/17. The only thing left for me to do is pack my hospital bag. I'm going to pre register Thursday and I will get a list of things provided so I don't bring a bunch of unnecessary junk!
  • Options
    Do we have the same like @Miz_Liz ? I've bought a few girl outfits too but that's it. All the responses are making me feel better about the lack of nesting
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I already have the car seat and bassinet from DS, and that's about all you really need. I am actually having a shower, so I'll get clothes there. Oh, and I'll make sure my pump still works...
    DS's old crib is in the nursery, but that's only because I didn't want to move it too far. We still have to clean out all the stuff that's in there and actually put a nursery together. It'll happen some day. Or not, she won't care.
  • Options
    Thj417Thj417 member
    I think you're fine time wise. Last go around we didn't get a car seat until 32 weeks, crib when I was at 35 weeks, haha! Baby shower was at 37 weeks.
  • Options
    Do we have the same like @Miz_Liz ? I've bought a few girl outfits too but that's it. All the responses are making me feel better about the lack of nesting
    Agreed!  I am still waiting for this whole nesting thing to kick in.

We have the crib and dresser assembled and plan to buy the glider this week.  Other than that we have a few random hand-me-downs from neighbors.  We will have two showers in the next month, so to me it just doesn't make sense to buy a lot of stuff until we see what we are gifted.  I did buy a new set of cute onsies a few weeks ago.  But only because I was having an "I feel like complete crap and I need to buy something cute to make me feel better" moment.  :)
  • Options
    @emmacake08 I already feel like that Luvs commercial where the lady hands her 2nd child over to the dirty garage guy to hold while she digs her wallet out of her purse....
  • Options
    I'm a wee later than you I thought I'd never see anyone as late as myself (Aug 31st), I'm super ready for him MENTALLY , as far as all of his items I plan on getting this month so when July hits I'm really READY LOL
  • Options
    I'm 31 weeks and have nothing except an outfit to take her home in. No crib, no bassinet, no carseat, no stroller, no noooothing. My brother bought us a Maxi Cosi carseat that should be here in a couple weeks. Once that gets here that will be our only item. I'm not really worried about it. My shower is in about 3 weeks and after that, I might pick up a few things. Or not. It would be very typical behavior of me to pick up a bassinet on the way home from the hospital. I'm a roll with the punches kinda gal. ;)
  • Options
    We only have the crib, a swing, bassinet, and bouncer. We have two more showers coming up. We're trying to hold off to see what we get. I'm 30+2 weeks. I do have all of her clothes washed though. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chshannonchshannon member
    edited June 2015
    This is number four for me and I am not ready at all and reading this made me feel even more not ready. I have my oldest to get ready for cheer camp in July then the week before the baby comes I have 3 to get ready for school one will be going to kindergarten. Then I have to get ready for the baby.
  • Options
    I'm almost 32 weeks and have been hardcore nesting. We had our shower a couple weeks ago and the only things we still need to get are another 10 prefolds, a snappi, a baby monitor, and a changing pad cover. We have everything else at this point. The nursery has been painted and decorated, the crib is set up, bouncer is washed and set up, all the clothes are washed as well as all the blankets, toys, bedding and anything else I can get my hands on. Almost everything is hung up or folded and waiting. We do still have to set up the swing and stroller and we may buy a dresser. At this point, I just keep reorganizing things. I also need to sterilize the parts for the breast pump and bottles, but I'm waiting on that. I've also started packing things for the hospital stay (for baby at least). I'm kind of an obsessive organizer anyway but knowing I'm high risk and that my baby is already getting close to running out of room in there has kicked that into overdrive in case he comes early!
  • Options
    dpmm93dpmm93 member
    I'm due 8/27 and I don't have anything! My mom wants to do one big shopping trip and help me pick everything out but keeps saying "we've got lots of time" I'm starting to freak out because we're now into our 3rd trimester! Eek. I have had an amazing 2nd trimester but today I felt so much bigger and felt all the aches and pains that will come in the following weeks. We are moving into our very first home next month and have to deal with renos this month so I know the next 2 months are going to be super busy!
  • Options
    jonekajoneka member
    edited June 2015
    I agree with others that it all depends on your personality..I am type A, so I like to be prepared and organized or it makes me anxious and a tad bit nutty..lol...I am due August 21, baby showers are June 13, and June 20, but I bought all the major things already, crib, rock-n-play, pack-n-play, rocker/glider, stroller/carseat combo, bottles, pacifiers, diaper bag, boppy pillow, changing station, breast pump, 2 dressers, stocked on diapers sizes NB thru 3, sensitive wipes, baby wash/lotion/powder. I just received a small bag of newborn onesies So, I feel well prepared even before my showers. I didn't want to take the chance that people did not gift me the things that I felt were really important to me for him to have. So they can have fun getting him really cute clothes and socks.

If your not stressed and feel that your in a time crunch, then continue to go with the flow. Our babies are not even here yet, so there is still time!
  • Options
    I'm waiting for my baby shower to buy stuff. June 20th. I can then decide what is left over that I need.