January 2016 Moms

Home doppler

Will you be purchasing or have you purchased a doppler for home use? I'm going back and forth on this. I know there are mixed reviews about ultrasounds and how they affect a developing baby. I would imagine using it every day for prolonged periods could possibly cause harm, but I would think once or twice a week to 'check in' on little peanut would be safe and reassuring between appointments, right? There is also the added stress of not finding the baby's heartbeat, but I've seen multiple videos and know the machines come with instructions so I'm pretty sure I could make it work. I'm going to check with my dr's office to see how they feel. If my dr is against it completely, I will of course follow his guidance.

What are your thoughts?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - FiGB
Married DH 11/15/08
Formerly MissMheMhe

Re: Home doppler

• I've been having the same struggle. My "cons" are that most don't seem to work until at least 16 weeks, I read an article saying it "could be" harmful if used often, and I think I'd freak out not being able to find a HB which I guess happens often just because of mistakes in use or positioning. I really wanted one because we had a missed miscarriage and I know I'm going to live in terror from US to US. Ugh. I'd be really interested to hear what anyone has to say too.
  • Loading the player...
  • @bananers Thank you very much for your response!! Your reason is exactly what I am feeling! It's wonderful you were able to help out your friends as well!!
    On another topic, were you on TTCAL 2+ years ago? I recognize your name and pic. I was MissMheMhe back then....
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • @jessfragione, I don't plan on using it until the 2nd tri at least. I know it's far too early now. From what I've been told and what I've read, 12-14 weeks is the norm for home doppler use. Your size has a lot to do with it, too. I'm a little overweight, so it may be closer to 16 weeks before I would be successful. I still think I want to try, though.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited May 2015
    I don't think I will get one. I read that many women get both false negatives and false positives (by accidentally listening to other parts of their body). Knowing that, a doppler would give me little peace of mind...
  • Me too! I'm wondering if I have the restraint to only use it once a week. @bananers what's the brand that you used? I'd be really interested in checking it out.
  • My dad is a retired obgyn and brought an older one home for me during my first pregnancy. I used it pretty frequently to give me peace of mind.

Definitely don't try to use one until after your dr has found the heartbeat with a Doppler and you can see where you should be looking.
    There were sometimes that I couldn't find it and I was able to take a break, and check later without freaking out. If this will stress you out, I wouldn't recommend getting one.
    Once I felt baby moving more frequently it was rare I used it.
    Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MMLmeow said:

@bananers Thank you very much for your response!! Your reason is exactly what I am feeling! It's wonderful you were able to help out your friends as well!!

On another topic, were you on TTCAL 2+ years ago? I recognize your name and pic. I was MissMheMhe back then....
    Yes, I was! I remember you, MissMheMhe! How are you?

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Me too! I'm wondering if I have the restraint to only use it once a week. @bananers what's the brand that you used? I'd be really interested in checking it out.

I got the sonoline B from fetaldoppler.net. It worked great, and held up through mine plus 4 friends' pregnancies!
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • bananers said:
    @bananers Thank you very much for your response!! Your reason is exactly what I am feeling! It's wonderful you were able to help out your friends as well!!
    Yes, I was! I remember you, MissMheMhe! How are you?
    Doing really good!! I remember before when you were pg. Can't believe your DS is 2 now!! I stepped away from the boards for a while, choosing to remain close to a few ladies on FB, but when this pg happened, I knew I would go crazy w/o somewhere to ask those nagging questions and felt I would be better off with ladies currently experiencing it. So happy to have reconnected with you!!
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited June 2015
    You can take your own pulse while u use the Doppler to be sure it's the fetus not yours. Unless u know what you are doing I wouldn't try it before 11 weeks . I work ob/gyn and its overwhelming the amount of women that call and say they can't get heart tones at home and completely freak out. I bring them in and use our Doppler and 99% of the time I hear a happy little heartbeat and ease their minds. So do yourselves a favor and watch videos on YouTube or online and learn how to use it so you don't freak yourself out when you don't hear anything but your femoral artery. Better yet.. Have your dr or staff show you how to do it in the office and how to not overdo it :)
  • I bought a heartbeat doppler during my last pregnancy and loved it. I started around the 2nd trimester. I listened to the heartbeat once or twice a day just to reassure myself.
  • I used an app on my iPhone for my last pregnancy, and I still have the heartbeat recording on my phone :). It didn't work every time, I'm sure not as consistent or accurate as the dopplers being suggested, but it was fun to play with, and I love the recording feature :)