Anxiety about weight gain — The Bump
2nd Trimester

Anxiety about weight gain

Hi gals!

I'm in a weird place right now. I know all the facts, I know all the body changes etc. But for 20 years I've been focused on nutrition and being really fit with washboard abs and now that I'm getting a little pooch and feeling tight in my jeans, I'm not feeling psychologically pregnant... It's like my brain is sounding the alarm wanting to lose weight yet I know that it's normal to have a bit of a tummy at 14 weeks. Does anyone else feel this way??

Please help :(
stolibaby22sante12

Re: Anxiety about weight gain

• amm0512amm0512
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its 100 Comments 5 Answers
    My sister was five months further along than me while I was prego with DS. She used to complain about being fat, and I can't count the number of times I told her "you're not fat, you're pregnant". But then as soon as I hit 26 weeks, I felt fat. All of the extra blood you are producing will make everything swell, so even if you remain fit and healthy, you will still feel bloated. It is normal. You are perfectly normal. Just remember it is all temporary. I was back in my prepregnancy shorts 2 weeks post partum.
  • It's natural to have some anxiety about weight gain. I have gained 10 lbs and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I can see that it is all tummy, so that makes me feel better. And, thinking about my healthy, growing baby helps. I work out still, but I don't work out as hard as I used to. I work out 5x per week, 30-50 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical. If I feel tired, I stop at 30 minutes. If I feel good, I go to 40-50 minutes. Take it in stride and know that your baby is growing inside of you.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's hard. Like you, I was really focused on fitness and getting in shape pre-pregnancy, and I was really proud of what I had achieved! I bloated like a mother during 1st tri and it was really hard to accept my changing body, and then I was told not to exercise anymore due to bleeding and a whiny cervix (I'm limited to walking and yoga now). It kills me to see myself losing the definition in my legs and arms...I actually stopped taking bump photos because I just felt like a whale, even though all of my weight gain has been in my stomach. Just try to remember that your body knows exactly what it's doing. Don't focus on the numbers on the scale, because everyone gains differently. Focus on eating healthy and exercising when you can. You've got a 20 year foundation of being fit and healthy; it'll come back to you when bubs is here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • groovylocksgroovylocks
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    edited June 2015
    You're kind of lucky your body is being agreeable. (And agreeable is what it's being)

I'm 11.5 weeks and I've lost weight. I'm really bloated so my pants are tight too and i didn't realize how much weight i'd lost around my limbs and face. And i'm scared my kid is going to die or be born small. 

But you will bounce back :) You'll never be exactly the same but you'll bounce back.