June 2015 Moms

Anyone not "in love" with their baby name choices?

Not sure about you girls but we have our baby names picked out (team green) 2 for a girl and one for a boy but I'm still questioning myself. Anyone else feel like this? Or maybe second time mamas can empathize with this feeling?

Re: Anyone not "in love" with their baby name choices?

• I was team green, had her a week ago. My dh was arguing with me during labor about her name, he got to pick it out. We had no middle name until the 2nd day. But I wasn't completely in love with her name but its grown on me.
  • We've only managed to come up with one boy name that we've liked throughout this whole pregnancy, and whilst we're happy with the name it kind of feels like it's been chosen by default. So it still doesn't quite feel right - but since I'm due on Friday I think that it's very unlikely to change!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah..... we've picked Owen, but then thought Oren is nice and Ori is a better nickname than Owie.....  But we'd been calling him Owen for so long now I really do feel like that IS his name.....  I think we're going to do a wait and SEE him, then decide....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Glad some other people are feeling the same way! I love my girl choice (Audrey) but not 100% about our boy choice (Evan). Dh reassures me by saying he/she will grow into it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our names are picked and family knows (team green) but last week one of my patients named their girl a name I absolutely fell in love with. So sad that I didn't even consider it when we were making our short list. DH won't let go of our girl choice, and I do still like it so...maybe the next one.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • So glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way! We have only really liked Celia or Eleanor this whole pregnancy but never actually decided and keep saying "hopefully we'll know when we see her" when people ask so now I'm already overdue and we are desperately brainstorming to see if something else jumps out at us.. I'm so stressed about it, I just want to love her name!
  • Its funny to me that this was mentioned. We are also Team Green, and WAY back in the day both DH and I each came up with a boy name. We both agreed each others name was a good name, but couldn't come towards each other at all to accept the others' name as THE name. So we scrapped those names and ended up agreeing on two or three other backup names, and were going to decide which to use should we indeed have a boy. Well, now he tells me he has come around on my original name and is OK using it. Which should make me happy, right? It kinda does, but on the other hand we had agreed on using one of these other names, so now it feels weird to me to NOW be thinking again about my name choice. And then I feel kinda bad cause I didn't come towards his name choice at all. Well, whatever. We'll decide after we meet him - if it IS a him.
    For a girl we have had a name chosen forever, but I'm a little afraid at this point it may not suit her, and we have no backup names
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like there is always an adjustment period to naming a baby. I joke all of the time about my DD that you should get time to get to know them before you have to name them. Her name is Hope, although she is very sweet her name is a wee bit to innocent for her. New baby's name popped into my head early in pregnancy before we even knew it was a girl. I had another name come up that I liked not too long ago but DH vetoed it because he felt like her name was already set. That's what we know her by. I remember it feeling strange to call Hope by her name when we first came home but it just becomes normal.
  • Our names are picked and family knows (team green) but last week one of my patients named their girl a name I absolutely fell in love with. So sad that I didn't even consider it when we were making our short list. DH won't let go of our girl choice, and I do still like it so...maybe the next one.

Maybe you should reconsider naming her the new name. You may look back and be bummed about it or only have boys the next time around :)
  • Your post exactly.

My DH has one name he loves and I'm not "in love" with.
    I have one name I'm in love with and he's not "in love" with.

!!!! Who knows.......
  • carapoli said:

So glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way! We have only really liked Celia or Eleanor this whole pregnancy but never actually decided and keep saying "hopefully we'll know when we see her" when people ask so now I'm already overdue and we are desperately brainstorming to see if something else jumps out at us.. I'm so stressed about it, I just want to love her name!

I had a VERY short list, and DH vetoed them all. Celia and Eleanor were both on it :-)
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    We have a list of four and we are planning on choosing when we see him. I'm in love with a different one every day! Haha. I'm hoping it clicks when he's born, but if not we'll just choose one and go with it.
  • We've had ours picked out for a while, and now we're second guessing.
    We have first and middle name and then a nickname.

The nickname is what I'm in love/obsessed with, but we've been second guessing the first and middle names this week.

Thank goodness we haven't told people! I don't like many boy names. haha!
  • LO is a Jr, which I'm happy about...but "Curtis" isn't something I would have picked. I'm thinking people will call him "CJ" :) ..also "little curt" is starting to grow on me
  • DH vetoed my girls name-I always wanted an Elizabeth but he suggested Isabella and it grew on me and now I can't imagine calling my little girl anything other than Izzy! For this LO he originally vetoed the name I wanted so we were exploring alternatives but about a month ago he said we could go with my original name which made me very happy! We did change the middle name but kept a family name as the middle name which was the main important part for me. I'm a little worried that DH doesn't truly love the name but I think it's slowly growing on him and it will fit LO when he's born!
  • Caroline was born a week ago, we had a really hard time agreeing on her name, but when we finally came up with one we could both live with we started calling her Caroline. While it still is not my favorite name ever, it started feeling like it was HER name. I guess this would have been harder if we didn't know the sex.
  • klkonwi said:

Your post exactly.

My DH has one name he loves and I'm not "in love" with.
    I have one name I'm in love with and he's not "in love" with.

!!!! Who knows.......

Saaaaaaame!! My husband and I read through lists and lists of names, one day I threw "Brooke" out there thinking he would shoot it down like he did with every other name but he ended up liking that name and nothing else.

I feel like I don't have a choice. I like the name, I just don't love it. I've fought him about it. No dice.

• In two pregnancies, we've only ever agreed on girl names. LO#1 is a girl so that's all good, this one the ultrasound tech was "pretty sure" it's a girl so we have a name but with the uncertainty of the ultrasound tech, we have tried a ton to come up with a boy name. If it does end up a surprise boy, we don't even have a top contender for a name that we agree one so, yes, we have uncertainty too!
  • amaraujo0521amaraujo0521 member
    edited June 2015
    @KimberlyThai ...You have plenty of time if ylu need it..my sister in law didn't name her daughter for over a month after her birth!
  • I don't know what we're doing anymore. We never totally settled on a name, but now it's like I don't even like any of the ones on our list. We'd narrowed it down to three, then added more new ones in . . . now we've got about ten "blah" names! I think this is representative of a whole lot of ambivalence going on in my head about the whole transition to motherhood thing. He'll end up with something, and it will be fine.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited June 2015
    @amark11 what's the nieces name ?!?!
    Also I apologize for all my dear diary posts lately....
  • thedothedo member
    edited June 2015
    Frogger5 said:

I don't know what we're doing anymore. We never totally settled on a name, but now it's like I don't even like any of the ones on our list. We'd narrowed it down to three, then added more new ones in . . . now we've got about ten "blah" names! I think this is representative of a whole lot of ambivalence going on in my head about the whole transition to motherhood thing. He'll end up with something, and it will be fine.

This is my second; my daughter is 16 months old and I feel the exact same way. We knew her name at 4 months in (if she were a girl), but this time is so different.

He can't stand my picks, and I can tolerate a couple of his... Depending on the minute, I actually like them. But, I'm so sick of stressing over it, I go from not caring to being obsessed with finding the right name.

I try to remind myself that I will love my new daughter, and as long as I like the name - I will come to love it on her (I hope!!!)
  • @klkonwi Le.ighton B.en.tley
  • We have a short list for both boy and girl names. It somewhat annoys me that I have come up with every single name. I'll ask DH if he has anything that he wants to add to either list and he always says No. I do let him veto anything on the list, so at least he is doing something. I know we wanted to wait to see the nugget first, but really?! You don't have one single name that you can add to the list?!
  • amark11 said:

@klkonwi Le.ighton B.en.tley

Yeah, that's rough, but honestly not weird compared to a lot of her peers, I'm sure! I have a (female) friend named Leigh. That's kind of close!
  • https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-12-craziest-new-baby-names-119555436251.html

Even if you don't have something you love, it can't be as bad as some of these.
  • Sammy K said:

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-12-craziest-new-baby-names-119555436251.html

Even if you don't have something you love, it can't be as bad as some of these.

Ugh. [-(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are using the first letter of my MILs name ( she passed away about 4 years ago). After she passed away and we were talking about babies we agreed on this boy's name right away. I have loved it for a long time and so happy we both love it. The weird thingi s a coworker of mine ( who I do not get along with) has a son with this name and this has always made me slightly hesitant. I am switching schools this coming up year so I am completely done with working with her but I still get weird pangs about giving my son the same name. We are still using it and I'm sure as I start a new job I won't think about it. Not really sure why it even does bother me.