High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Obese and pregnant for the first time!

Hello all! I think I'm just looking for a little support and maybe some good vibes! This is my first pregnancy and I'm 9w3d! However, I'm also "morbidly obese" (5'3" and weigh 269lbs). I've always known being obese can lead to complications during pregnancy and to be honest, my first prenatal appointment made my anxiety even worse! Originally I was worried about MC but now I'm starting to get anxiety regarding delivery! My OB indicated I may have to deliver at a more advanced hospital in Boston due to how "high risk" I am. I know it's several months away but it's all I can think about and it's driving me nuts! Having a child is a blessing and I am so excited but knowing the risk and fearing the worst in that delivery room has me not feeling as excited as I should be.

Re: Obese and pregnant for the first time!

• Options
    Hang in there. I understand how you feel to some degree. I'm 5'2 and about 225. My doctor wasn't too concerned though. She's mostly made it clear that I shouldn't gain more than 12 pounds over the course of the pregnancy.

Not sure if you are looking for advice, but if I could tell my 1st trimester self anything, it would be to walk 30 mins a day. Gestational diabetes is a complication you don't want and walking can help hold it off. Of course, sometimes it's inevitable due to hormones. Good luck and I hope that you can deliver in your regular hospital, although if not, at least you are in a place ready to deal with anything that comes up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @CivilMommy THANK YOU! You have made me more at ease bc I too have HBP which is also controlled by medication. This is my first baby and you have definitely eased some of apprehensions!
  • Options
    I'm obese with my first as well. I'm at 27 weeks and have had zero complications so far. My ob has never labeled me as high risk, although I do see an MFM for ultrasounds because they have better equipment. My ob isn't really treating me any different than anyone else I talk to, and she said she's been through pregnancies with women of my size before with no problems. No blood pressure issues so far, and I take my GTT in about a week. 

I have maintained my daily exercise routine (with modification), so hopefully that will help me be the best I can for the rest of this ride. I'm sorry your doctor is making you feel anxious, I don't like that at all. It's not fair to borrow trouble, you deserve to enjoy your pregnancy as much as everyone else does! 

Good luck to you!
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    I am 37 diabetic and obese and had my first with zero complications! My doc was great! I am now almost 7w with baby #2! Don't worry you can have a normal and wonderful birth!
  • Options
    I am 39 (will be 40 in 2 months) and am also obese (5'3" @ 257 lbs) at 12w2d pregnant.  My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 6w last August.  I will be a FTM like you.  My OB hasn't treated me any differently so far.  No sugar or HBP issues yet.  He just advised me to not gain more than 10-15 lbs with this pregnancy.  I recently started walking 3x a week and, with the weather starting to warm up, plan to increase that to 20-30 minute daily walks.  I have worried about gestational diabetes and all the other possible complications, but the other posters are right--it seems best to enjoy the pregnancy and worry about issues if/when they arise.  Cheers to a round of healthy pregnancies, ladies!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am obese, 5'6 and 290, and my doctor doesn't treat me any differently. The only thing is that he wants to do the GTT earlier bc I have diabetes in my family. I'm only 13wks but everything is going great so far. Don't let your doctor scare you! Positive thinking all the way!  :D
    ~~ October Siggy Challenge - Amazing/Horrible Pregnancy Costumes ~~

Image result for pregnancy halloween costumes

IAmPregnant Ticker
    FTM - Oct. 22, 2015
  • Options
    I'm 5'6 and 290 lbs like @lucky10liz . My Doctor told me not to gain too much weight. Only 40 lbs my whole pregnancy, but my pregnancy is high risk because I have a history of miscarriages & I'm pregnant with twins. Yes, twins!!! Lol Anyway I hope everybody have a wonderful worry free pregnancy. P.S I'm new here & this is my first comment in any forum on this site.
  • Options
    emzie54emzie54 member
    I have been worrying about this myself. I am currently 7wks and haven't seen my doctor yet, but worry about how that might go and what the doctor's attitude might be like. I have started walking to a from work as much as possible. It is a nice walk when the weather is good, although it's been getting really humid here lately. If I go both ways it ends up being around 3 miles. I feel like food control has been hard, as I really have been craving bread and carbs, and they seem to be the only thing that helps the nausea. I am glad to hear from you ladies and to feel like I am not alone in this.
  • Options
    If your doctor is a jerk, get a new one! This is a special time and you shouldn't have it marred by a size insensitive dr!
  • Options
    emzie54emzie54 member
    Just curious, does being obese automatically make someone high risk? I still haven't seen my doc, but I didn't think that I would necessarily fall in to that category. I guess I will see what happens soon enough.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the dr. If it makes you high risk. I know with my first I wasn't until they made me do the GD test early and I had it, so bam high risk... This pregnancy I am going in with DM, and obesity, so high risk.... Honestly being high risk isn't so bad, you just get extra stuff like bonus ultrasounds
  • Options
    kayba3kayba3 member
    To be honest the main problem they are worried about probably is your chronic hypertension. That brings it's own set of issues. Being obese magnifies those possible issues and makes them more likely. I'm high risk because of chronic hypertension. But they have taken special care to tell me that because of my weight, the risk of pre-e is greater than in someone at a healthier weight. I am 5'4 and 215. Just watch your blood pressure and try to enjoy pregnancy before all the crazy monitoring starts!