July 2015 Moms

Which laundry detergent is best !! Helpppp

i am a first time mom very stuck on two different laundry detergents. All or Dreft ? Leave opinions please :)

Re: Which laundry detergent is best !! Helpppp

• I don't have personal experience with this being a FTM, but I saw a post about this a few weeks ago with lots of responses! Basically they said don't spend a fortune they're all the same as long as you buy free and clear :) I personally purchased the smallest container of All to test out first, just in case for some reason LO is sensitive to it. 
  • krk09krk09 member
    We are going to use All free and clear. My husband and I both have sensitivities to detergents. I tested Dreft by putting a small amount on my wrist. Within about 10 minutes I had a red spot :/ Dreft smells so good, but if it irritates my skin, that doesn't do much good.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used dreft with my first. I loved the smell. But honestly I've heard All was a great option. Also the tide free and clear option is good too. I'm using the tide pods this time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are loyal Tide users. For the baby's stuff, I have been using Tide Free and Gentle. Neither me or my husband have skin sensitivities to detergents, so hoping baby doesn't either and I can wash everything with the regular Tide.
    Anniversary
  • We have used All for all our kids. We will be using All this time but adding in a free and clear fabric softener by Downy. I'll probably throw in some Dreft scent boosters (JUST found these today) on her sheets.
  • I've been using dreft to wash all of her clothes & adding a little bit of downy! I love the smell lol
  • Whatever your using already is fine. If you think about it baby is going to be against your clothes, probably on your bed sheets etc etc so unless your switching everyone no point
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Exactly what @gotdiesel2007 said. By purex has a baby formula that is half the price of dreft.
  • I bought dreft it smells like babies
  • We use ALL hypoallergenic with no scent. We use it for our clothes and we will use it for the babies my husband and I have reall sensitive skin and works for us, so I'm sure it will work for the baby.
  • WSatisfiedPWSatisfiedP member
    edited June 2015
    All free and clear. It's inexpensive and we already use it on everything bc I have sensitive skin. Baby detergent is ridiculously overpriced imo
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• We're using Rockin' Green. Safe for cloth diapers, so our whole household had made the switch just to simplify. They offer online discounts and military discounts. :)
  • We use All free and clear with Oxy and Downy free and clear fabric softener. We started using it before DS was born, when it was DH, me, and my step kids because I don't like heavy smells. We just never stopped because it works so well, and the Oxy helps a lot with the assortment of stains kids make.
  • All free and clear. It's inexpensive and we already use it on everything bc I have sensitive skin. Baby detergent is ridiculously overpriced imo

Us too. Have used it for years with us and then DD and will do the same for new little one. Works great and have never had issues even with my sensitive skin.

• @mommamorales just a warning, we used rockin green for about two months and it sucked. Nothing came clean including diapers. I know some have luck but it was awful for us
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• mers90mers90 member
    I have super sensitive skin, allergies and eczema and we didn't have Dreft in Mexico until around 2008, I used to go to the doctor in Huston and he always recommended it so I started using it with everyone's clothes and it is great for my skin and my son never had a reaction to it. Here is super expensive, about 5 times what other detergents cost, and not easy to get, but it's 100 worth it!
  • I got dreft.
  • mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited June 2015
    ECOS brand... All natural detergent... And we've been using it for years now.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Whatever your using already is fine. If you think about it baby is going to be against your clothes, probably on your bed sheets etc etc so unless your switching everyone no point

This is the exact logic I was using to sell DH on the idea of not buying "special" detergent. It just doesn't make any sense to me. He said I was just being cheap, which is not the case at all. Smh.
  • I use All Free and Clear already- sticking with that. I did get the Bumgenius laundry detergent for our diapers though. Someone got us Babyganics laundry detergent so I will use that for some things as well. 
  • oh and I didn't put what I use. We just use Tide. We use it for diapers, clothes, baby stuff you name it.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• If it's just for clothing, All works just fine. However, if you're using cloth diapers I wouldn't suggest it. We're using Charlie's (you can get it on amazon) as it had good ratings for diapers, doesn't cause buildup and my sister recommended it as well.
  • I'll throw my vote in for Dreft. I just LOVED the baby smell my son's clothes after we washed them! We wash his toddler things in All or Tide Free & Clear now, but for my new little guy, I think I'm going back to Dreft, purely for the smell.

Kate
  • VTomanVToman member
    I have terribly sensitive skin and so we use Free and Clear, so that's what we'll be using for baby's clothes, too. I hope she doesn't have the same sensitivities as I do!
  • Dreft is so expensive! I used to pay it because I loved the smell and quality of it, but they changed there smell to a bar soap type.. And I discovered purex, smells like draft used to (like a newborn baby) and is soooo much cheaper and brightens up all the clothes! I'm thinking that I may switch all my detergent to purex because of how well it removes stains and such.
  • All free and clear and bounce free of dye is what we are using. I never understood the purpose of dreft since it has fragrance and dye it seems to me it wouldn't be good to skin sensitivities my daughter had severe eczema so to be on the safe side I'm sticking to dye and fragrance free.

Not necessarily my daughter had severe allergies and I had to wash all of our clothes in a free and clear detergent. With this baby I've already started washing all of our clothes in All free and clear in preparation. I had to give up all perfume and scented lotions with my first born as well. Skin allergies are a nightmare to heal. I'm not taking any chances. When she is older I will switch back if she has no sensitivities.

Not necessarily my daughter had severe allergies and I had to wash all of our clothes in a free and clear detergent. With this baby I've already started washing all of our clothes in All free and clear in preparation. I had to give up all perfume and scented lotions with my first born as well. Skin allergies are a nightmare to heal. I'm not taking any chances. When she is older I will switch back if she has no sensitivities.
    Not what I was getting at. . .  Unless your going to switch everyone like you are doing now there is no point. They are going to lay against all the stuff washed in the other detergent anyway. If there is an issue ya switch but having a special detergent just for baby when he/she is going to be most likely against your clothes a good portion of the day is just creating extra work.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• gatormom73gatormom73 member
    edited June 2015
    I have bought baby purex it smells just like a baby also bought a bottle of all free and clear just in case. . I would never spend 18 dollars on detergent that is almost exactly the same as the cheap stuff I paid 3.89 for just because they put a baby on the front of the container.
  • @mommamorales just a warning, we used rockin green for about two months and it sucked. Nothing came clean including diapers. I know some have luck but it was awful for us

Thanks, @gotdiesel2007. We've actually tested it out on our own clothes, including DH's greasy work clothes (he works on trucks and heavy machinery). It worked great for us, so I'm hoping for similar results with diapers. I'll keep an eye on it, though.
  • We are a Tide family anyway so we will just start using the Free and Gentle version.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • roseecroseec member
    This is such an important issue that so many people are misinformed on...and not just for baby, but for the whole family. PLEASE take the time to check out the rating (and reasons behind it) for the detergent you are using. https://www.ewg.org/guides/categories/9-Laundry?brand=6527. I see that most of you are using All or Dreft...both of which have received Fs. We use Seventh Generation detergent for the whole family and love it, but there are a lot of different detergents out there that have fewer chemicals and are so much safer for your family. It is about so much more than whether baby is getting a rash or not.