December 2015 Moms

Prenatal vitamins

I did a search on here thinking this topic has already been brought up but I can't find anything on it so sorry if this is a repeat. I am having a really hard time with my prenatal vitamins.  I started out with one type that were huge and hard to swallow but it didn't make me sick.  I did however have a really hard time swallowing them.  When I ran out I bought Rainbow Light Petite Minis based on amazon reviews.  These are HORRIBLE and while they are smaller you have to take 3 of them and they they make me gag the instant I put them in my mouth. The coating comes off immediately and putting myself through that 3 times in one night is killing me.  So I am in the market again for new prenatals.  I was looking at some more reviews on amazon and I want to make sure I find ones that have iron (I guess the gummies don't) and won't taste horrible.  I wouldn't mind big horse pills again as long as they don't make me sick! Anyone have any good luck with theirs?

Re: Prenatal vitamins

• I take Nature Made Prenatal Multi plus DHA. Has iron and folic acid. The coat doesn't come off at all. I don't taste anything weird. I take it at night so I haven't noticed bad side effects. Got it at Walmart. 70 soft gels. Pretty cheap too.
  • moweltmowelt member
    Thank you those were the ones I was actually looking at!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto to @leek71983 I take them with breakfast. No problems.
  • Jecar33Jecar33 member
    I take target brand prenatal vitamins & at breakfast as well...no problems here...I just looked for the ones similar to what my OB gave mess free samples on my first visit.
  • Every prenatal has made me sick. My doctor prescribed me some and I haven't had any problems, could your doctor prescribe you something?
  • I take the target brand gummy vitamins! They're actually super yummy, and they haven't made me sick or anything!
  • I also take the Nature made Plus DHA. If you watch the kroger sales every so many weeks they go on buy 1 get 1 free :-) I started taking them in the morning but got nauseous so I switched to at night. Although I'm not sure the vitamins caused the nausea or more likely it was typical morning sickness.
  • I switched to gummy vitamins as well. I threw up every time I took the normal pills. Havent had an issue since.
  • jjmacejjmace member
    edited May 2015
    I have now tried two different brands.  Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal picked up at whole foods and didn't realize I had to take 6 of these a day... really? Couldn't hang with six a day. Mother To Be picked up at Sprouts, it was only 3 a day, but it did start to dissolve in your mouth... nasty.
    I asked my friend who's a dietitian/nutritionist what she took during her pregnancy and she recommended nutraMetrix.  It is a liquid isotonic supplement and you take it once a day on an empty stomach.  So far this is really working for me.  

Here is a list of others people really like.  

• peevpeepeevpee member
    I am takin prescription Nexa Plus, they are very easy on me and have laxative in them too. Prior to Nexa Plus I was taking "Mommy and Me" that I found in whole foods. Mommy and Me are rated as A+ prenatal a but they are huge, smell pretty bad and you have to take four of them a day. they did not make me sick but I just could not tolerate the smell.
  • I take Target brand gummies too! I've had no problems & they are delicious!
  • I was taking target brand prenatals and they were making me sick. I was told not to take gummies bc they typically don't have iron. So my doctor told me to take Flintstones vitamins and I love them. Make me feel like a kid again.
  • moweltmowelt member
    Thanks everyone! I think I am going to go buy the nature made ones tomorrow. Those seems like they are what I am looking for. Although tonight I did get through mine just fine because I learned a trick. I decided to eat a cracker before and after each pill and it was the best I have ever felt after taking prenatals!
  • CMDDCMDD member
    edited June 2015
    I take Metagenics Wellness Essentials Pregnancy. They don't ever make me sick but you have to take 7 large pills
    Edited to add- they also cost about $60 a month. But the quality is unbeatable and if you take 4 in the am and 3 in the pm it's easier and your body can process the vitamins better. 
  • @mowelt I am also team Nature Made! They seem to have the best coating on them so if it takes a few times to swallow, you don't taste anything. When I first got them, I had a hard time swallowing them but it's definitely gotten better over time! I actually ordered mine from Amazon because they had a 150 ct bottle that I hadn't seen in any stores! Hope this one works for you!
  • jjmace said:

I have now tried two different brands.  Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal picked up at whole foods and didn't realize I had to take 6 of these a day... really? Couldn't hang with six a day. Mother To Be picked up at Sprouts, it was only 3 a day, but it did start to dissolve in your mouth... nasty.

I asked my friend who's a dietitian/nutritionist what she took during her pregnancy and she recommended nutraMetrix.  It is a liquid isotonic supplement and you take it once a day on an empty stomach.  So far this is really working for me.  

Here is a list of others people really like.  

Rainbow light has a one a day one. I've never seen the one that's 6 times a day, that's ridiculous!! I really love the Rainbow Light one a day prenatal. image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • EVERYTHING made me sick so my midwife told me to take two flintstones a day in divided doses and I've been doing great ever since!

September "Falling for Fall" Siggy Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take Nature Made Prenatal + DHA. Sometimes they're a little hard to swallow but I NEVER get a bad taste from them & they're soft gel so they seem to go down a little smoother. I've been taking them at night & haven't had any issues - I bought two huge bottles for cheap on Amazon. :)