September 2015 Moms

Trouble taking deep breaths?

Sometimes I feel like my breathing is really shallow, usually after I've been lying down - not related to exercise or activity. Anyone else? It usually only lasts a minute or two. Never had this happen before being pregnant!

Re: Trouble taking deep breaths?

• I feel like this all of the time now! Ugh, I know for me I was heavier this time around when I got pregnant compared to when I had my first child 9 years ago.
  • Yes I feel like that often. It's worse after I eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Going up the stairs and I struggle breathing, it's like my lungs can't take anymore air in.

God help us when we get into the 3rd tri ladies!
  • Yes feel this way a lot. I'm very short, so my uterus is already pretty much my entire torso so I feel it if I slouch, eat too much, bend over... 
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    Everything is getting pretty smooshed in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel this way it gets worse the warmer it gets.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Yes feel this way a lot. I'm very short, so my uterus is already pretty much my entire torso so I feel it if I slouch, eat too much, bend over... 

Ditto! I've been getting acid reflux because of my organs being so squished!

• It's normal as baby grows everything gets pushed up and squishes the lungs so getting shortness of breath during pregnancy is very common, especially in the third trimester. I'm 24 weeks and going up the stairs makes me winded. Sometimes laying down for a long period makes it feel like I can get a full breath in. When that happens or if you get winded just stop and breath in and out slowly, it usually helps.
  • Yes I feel like that often. It's worse after I eat.

This exactly! I ate dinner over at my parent's house this afternoon and afterwards I mentioned to my fiance how I couldn't seem to take a nice, DEEP breath. I think that's totally normal at this stage though. Our poor little lungs are starting to squish lol.
  • I actually thought this would happen to me in a bad way (I'm an asthmatic), but I'm carrying low, just had sinus surgery, and my asthma has been better controlled than before my pregnancy. However, I still may have to deal with this later.

Tricks I use......

Any of you ladies practice Yoga or have taken a yoga class? When I feel out of breath, I will stop what I am doing and start focusing on my breaths specifically. It's called Ujjayi breathing. Breath in using your belly/diaphragm. Push the breath into the ribcage, then up and out through the throat and nose. When you breath out, go ahead and make a noise....like a ocean wave. Do this enough times that it becomes rhythmic. For extra practice, cover your nostrils, and then open/close them one at a time....choosing to breathe in with one nostril and out the other.

It sounds goofy, but it forces you to slow down and focus on getting air.

Most non asthmatics don't ever HAVE TO think about breathing, it's like second nature, until something throws it out of wack. I literally had to re-learn this skill when I was diagnosed.

Also....just because you cannot take a deep breath, don't panic. Panicking about it will make it worse. Always always always think calm thoughts when you have to focus on breath.

This is actually step 1 on my asthma action plan.