February 2015 Moms
Options

Baby standing too early ?

My 2 and a half month old baby boy is trying to stand. If I put his feet down on a firm surface hell raise himself up and stand (with my support) and he can even hold himself for short spurts of time .

Sometimes if he's fussy he won't stop until I let him stand straight up for a while . Then he's completely fine . One other instance is when he's just falling asleep . I let him nap on my tummy sometimes but a lot of times he seems like he's asleep then he'll wake up crying and pushing up with his legs . Almost like he's trying to reposition himself .

My question: Is this normal for a 2 1/2 month old baby to be trying to stand ?
Is it safe ? I read that it can make his legs bowed .
Does it provide relief of some sort ? Like with gas, bowel movements, etc. ?

Re: Baby standing too early ?

• Options
    My baby likes to stand also. I don't think there's any issue if you're holding him but I wouldn't let him try to hold himself up.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Options
    Our baby does this as well and our pediatrician told us not to let her. She said it's fine if we hold most of her weight, but if she holds too much of her weight it could effect her leg and hip development.
    I'm not sure about the relief part.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our son will also start kicking and wake up crying but it's mostly because he's gassy. He also loves standing. I find when I let him stand he elongates his neck more.
  • Options
    It is a natural and normal reflex that healthy babies have. Be advised that standing and walking too early is not a good thing. Babies need to learn to crawl to develop arm, leg, and core strength!
  • Options
    foxslawfoxslaw member
    Crawling is actually not considered a development imperative, it's optional.
  • Options
    My pedi said it is totally normal and good for length strength development. She said not to force him or try to 'make' him walk, otherwise it's great for him.
  • Options
    plushbiplushbi member
    My baby does the same thing. I didn't if I should let him practice or no. He needs to work on arm strength too but he hates tummy time.
  • Options
    @plushbi my baby is the same way ! He can do tummy time for about 3 minutes before he starts to crank up . But he loves standing . Idk if I should let him cry through Tummy time or exercise his arms some other way .
  • Options
    Nah…its fine 2 of my daughters are the same. At 2 1/2 months they really like standing. And at 3months. When i hold their hands and say lets go! They will pull themselves up!!
  • Options
    My son does this! Hes constantly wanting us to let him stand. It shocked our pediatrician but she didn't mention for us to not let him do it.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    My son is 3 months and also loves standing, he is also into jumping. It's not like his legs are giving out, it's like he's really jumping. (Of course we are supporting him, but it's still crazy!) he also laughs while he's doing it!
  • Options
    Mine too. Which is great since it's his favorite thing to do.