September 2015 Moms

Upsetting thoughts?

I'm a younger FTM (I'll be turning 21 this year) and occasionally I have thoughts that maybe I'll be a bad mother, or I shouldn't be having a child. It makes me pretty sad and I feel awful when those thoughts cross my mind. Is this a normal thing? Don't get me wrong, I love my son more than anything, and I can't wait til he's finally here. Some days I just freak myself out over it./:

Re: Upsetting thoughts?

• @chelseajeanene nailed it. I will add I am a FTM and I'm not young *27* and I have those thoughts. Totally normal. I freak myself out too. I worry that since my dogs have been driving me so nuts, he will too and I will be a "mean mom" or something. Just keep reminding yourself that you're the perfect mom for your son.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's totally normal my luv. Don't worry yourself too much, I'm sure you'll be a fabulous mum.

Being a parent is one of the most rewarding things ever in life. It truly is a wonderful thing motherhood. You'll learn things as you go along. Try not to worry yourself and enjoy growing your little boy xx
  • I'm 33 and having my 3rd and still worry about being a bad mom! My career is more established now so I won't be able to stay as home as much with a new baby as I did with my first two and I'm already feeling guilty about it. :(
  • I was 16 when I had my oldest son and going by the way my son has grew up I done a pretty dam good job :) on my own may I add lol. Don't ever think you are to young, age has nothing to do with how good a parent you can be. I'm also feeling a bit like that now at 32 this is my 4th but she's a girl a whole new experience. You will always be nervous and that's why you know you will be a great mummy to your son because you already care :)
  • SemattiSematti member
    Have faith in yourself. I don't see your age being an issue. My grandma was married at 19 and had my dad at 20 and did a great job. :) I realize times were different then but doesn't change the fact that she was young too. Keep loving your baby and you will be great!
  • I'm 26 and feel this way sometimes.
  • I was 21 when my first son was born and will be 24 when this next son is born. I had these thoughts many times but my sons have made me a better woman. When I had my first we moved away from the college I was going to with only a year left. I took a year of with him and when I looked at going to a college close to me they said I had another 2 years left. Because of that I switched majors to engineering (from education ) and love it! !! I have a higher GPA than I did before. Im now excited to get a job in the field and all thanks to my son. I wanted him to have a mom who did something she enjoyed and wasnt afraid of a challenge. Now both my boys will have that. There are so many other things but that's just one. You will be a good mom because they change you to be a better you :)
    ...sorry for the long post haha
  • I think the fact that your worried about it already says a lot about you being a good mom! I was 17 when I had my first and 34 now having my last. Worrying about wether you are doing a good job or not and wether your making the right decisions will never end! For the past 17 years I have been evaluating my parenting skills and I dont forsee that ever ending. We all make mistakes and learn from them!! Your going to be a great mom!!
  • It's not an age thing. I am 44 and expecting my first, I am worried all the time about how good a mother I will be. I know I won't be perfect but all we can do is our best. Trust that we will love and care for them properly. Give them what they need.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • It's a mom thing. I have one already and still worry that from time to time, especially when things get really busy at work. I am definitely worrying about it again with #2 coming. But it all works out. There will be good days when you feel on top of the world, bad days when you feel like you suck, and days where you'll be having too much fun to even think about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! I was feeling pretty bad about the whole thing, but I'm happy I'm not alone. Mostly I'm just worried that I can't give him a perfect life, or that I'll be struggling through college and parenting. Not exactly an age thing, but I wasn't expecting to be pregnant at my age so it's a little overwhelming. I'm sure all you mommas and ones to be will also be wonderful! :)
  • els831els831 member

@chelseajeanene nailed it. I will add I am a FTM and I'm not young *27* and I have those thoughts. Totally normal. I freak myself out too. I worry that since my dogs have been driving me so nuts, he will too and I will be a "mean mom" or something. Just keep reminding yourself that you're the perfect mom for your son.

Hahaha, this is exactly my story! I'm 29, FTM, 3 dogs. Boy dog had a pretty extensive surgery on Friday so I've been watching him around the clock and waking up every 2 or 3 hours to check on him. It's only been 2 days and I sorta screamed at the husband today, "this is so hard! I'm not meant to be a mother. Maternity leave is going to suck!" I don't think it's an age thing, I just think becoming completely responsible for a tiny little one is a huge responsibility! They say the rewards are worth it though!! Hopefully I can handle more than two days of life with baby before screaming at husband though