July 2015 Moms

Crib bumper or No crib bumper - that is the question

I have a mesh breathable crib bumper, standard crib.. I don't feel like
It fits right. I hate it. Talked to many people who say just don't use it...
What are you moms doing???

Re: Crib bumper or No crib bumper - that is the question

• No bumper, no doubt about it.
  • No bumper. It's not worth the risk. Even the mesh ones aren't recommended.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Loading the player...
  • No bumper. I've read that it's not safe.
  • No bumber. The risk of suffocation is too high & as PP stated they are also not reccomdeded. There are a lot of things that parents can be doing to reduce infant mortality so no bumber is my vote.
    image Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • audi681audi681 member
    Yup, no bumper. The look of the nursery is way less important than the safety of the baby!
  • No bumper, very unsafe.
  • O wow I didn't realize this was such a problem. Although I didn't use one with my first DS my mother in law bought my a beautiful crib set which included a bumper set, so I set it up. But doesn't seem to fit quite properly ️anyways so might just take it off regardless. But didn't realize it was so dangerous, is it more so dangerous after they start rolling? Would it be ok when they are just newborns?
  • No bumper here. Just not worth the risk. They say it's not safe until a year when you can use blankets but then I think they are just more likely to get in trouble another way. I think my DD would have tried to untie it :)
  • No bumpers for us either.
  • I've heard it's fine for a newborn but once they start rolling over it becomes a hazard @SBbabyonboard

No firsthand experience though
  • I didn't use bumpers with my first and won't for this one either. Not worth the risk.
  • You shouldn't have a bumber even when a newborn. sometimes newborns can manage to wiggle their way on to their sides even when they physically shouldn't be able to. Please no bumper for your LO.
    image Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's so silly that they even sell them if they are so high risk. I guess anything to make money right!
  • eclohoecloho member
    NO NO NO...is what I've heard & read
  • Thank you!! We were not wanting to
    Use it but were not sure what to do... No bumper for us, not even a question in my mind anymore!! Was just worried as a FTM, wanted to make the best decision!!
    Thank you, ladies!!
  • I went no bumper last time and again this time but less because I was freaked out about him suffocating and more because I thought they were kinda dumb and pointless.
  • No bumper, even with newborns. You don't want their first time to wiggle over or turn over to be their last. Harsh I know, but this happened to a family friend. Horrific.
    BFP 10/31/12, MC 11/9/12 - We had to say goodbye before we could really say hello. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you wanted the bumper just for the look, you can get a rail guard instead.  It's like a bumper for the railing so when they're standing in their crib, they don't teethe on the rail.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I've read that while most bumpers aren't recommended, mesh ones are ok because the baby can breath through them if they end up pressed against them. I've heard that you don't need to worry about removing the bumper until the baby can start to pull themselves up and stand, since they can use the bumper to try to get out of the crib and might fall.

That being said, I wouldn't use it if it doesn't seem to fit right.
    ~Katie~

• Definitely wouldn't use the bumper if it didn't fit right. The plush ones are not recommended, just in case baby manages to roll over into it as they pose a suffocation risk. I am using a family heirloom cradle for the first month or so while bubs is in our room, and we needed to add a mesh "bumper" around the sides of it because the gaps between the bars made me nervous (my cat can stick her whole head through some of the gaps, so I don't want arms or legs to get caught). I'm still not 100% sold on it, but my OB said it would be fine for the few weeks that he'll be in there (since he won't be able to squirm around too much). When we meet with our pediatrician I plan to ask again for extra reassurance.

Though, I'm the first person to use a mesh bumper on that cradle...all of use grandkids and my mom's generation of kids all survived in that cradle with a thick cloth bumper (26 kids total). Still, I'm paranoid and don't want my kiddo to be that one...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i dont understand why the crib sets come with the bumpers if they're so unsafe.
    im not using mine.
    my mom was going to make it into a valence for the baby's room, but even then.

• I'll be the oddball: we're using a mesh bumper. I used one for my other 2 kids, too.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• I put a typical bumper on my crib when my LO was 8 months old.  She fell in the crib and almost broke her arm because it got caught in the bars.  I put it on as safe as I could and honestly was the best decision ever.  It helped her sleep better.  I didn't do it in the beggining because of the fear and what I read.  I wont be putting it on this one unless needed when older. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LeannFran said:

You shouldn't have a bumber even when a newborn. sometimes newborns can manage to wiggle their way on to their sides even when they physically shouldn't be able to. Please no bumper for your LO.

I agree. My first DD could wiggle to the side of her crib/pack n play at 2 weeks old.