January 2016 Moms

i have panic disorder (have for years) does anyone know if xanax is safe?

I have had panic disorder for years now i take 1mg of xanax twice a day. I dont know if i should continue to take it or not. I just had a miscarriage 2 months ago and want my baby to be safe.

Best Answers

Re: i have panic disorder (have for years) does anyone know if xanax is safe?

• Loading the player...
  • Your doc will have the best info for you. I used to take it occassionally when flying and my doc said not during pregnancy. Good luck! I hope you find a solution that works.
  • I have panic attacks and I was on Paxil, just switched to Zoloft and so far so good! Dr. Gave me Ativan too in case I need a little extra help.
  • Yes Xanax is a category D, ie studies have show it to have negative effects. Contact your doctor for an alternative.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Xanax is a category D drug!
    Talk to your doctor for an alternative.
  • Yeah i cant function without at least a half a pill a day and if i have a panic attack i go into seizure. I have an appointment on friday will definitely talk with my ob thanks for the info.
  • Isnt there a law suit gong on about zoloft causing birth defects on babys?
  • Xanax (and all benzos) are pregnancy category D. Best practice is to wean off of them slowly as withdrawal symptoms are not good for pregnancy either and to use alternative treatments for anxiety while pregnant and BFing (if you choose to do that). This is probably best managed as a team with your psychiatrist and your OB. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers