High-Risk Pregnancy

Single Umbilical Artery / SUA / two-vessel cord??

Hey everyone. I'm from the December 2015 board and jumped over here after my perinatology appointment. I had an US today at 13w1d and it turns out I have a two-vessel cord/SUA. The US tech basically told me this, I was left with no explanation on what this meant, the perinatologist never actually saw me, and my OB's office will not get the report until Monday so they can't help!
I've researched what this is since finding out today: essentially a normal cord had a vein that takes nutrients and oxygen to the baby and TWO arteries that take away deoxygenated blood and waste products to be filtered through my kidneys. The baby's umbilical cord only had one artery and this occurs in about 1% of pregnancies. I read it's correlated with heart defects and urinary tract defects in about 25% of cases. It's also heavily associated with low-weight babies and I'll need much closer monitoring after my second trimester as well as a fetal echocardiogram this trimester.
Here's the deal:
Has anyone else dealt with this previously or has this now in their pregnancy? Im freaking out and have been crying non-stop since my appointment because I feel like I was told I have an abormality with my baby but given no resources or explanation on what this truly means and the repercussions of it. Any past experiences or info from mom's having the same situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm already a worrier and while I know it won't help to stress while I don't have the entire picture, telling me not to worry is like telling a normal person to just stop breathing.
I'm just very confused and SO concerned right now :|

Re: Single Umbilical Artery / SUA / two-vessel cord??

• PlainJane8350PlainJane8350 member
    edited May 2015
    I haven't dealt with personally, but I know someone who has and had absolutely no problems! I'm sorry they left you wondering, that's the worst because we all Google and freak ourselves out.
  • @PlainJane8350 thank you for your reply. It's incredibly frightening being handed diagnosis like this on a Friday with no explanation! This is going to be a long weekend waiting for my OB to get the report and get back to me on Monday. I wish the US tech had never said anything; who tells a FTM something likes this and just sends them on their merry way?!? I'm glad your friend's pregnancy with SUA turned out good...it gives me hope!
  • Loading the player...
  • I see a perinatalogist as my regular OB. If you're categorized as high risk now and think it may make you nervous, then you could always switch to a perinatologist...unless you really like your doctor, then they'll probably just have you see both.

I'm actually surprised that the tech told you anything, especially since you hadn't met her before, they seem to wait and let the doctor explain things anyway.

The good news is that you've only got one more day! Then you can talk to your doctor. I don't normally recommend Googling, but since we all do it anyway Google SUA success stories. I'll be thinking about you and, while I don't have personal experience, you're welcome to email me if you need to chat or be distracted:

PlainJane19792001@gmail.com
  • Thank you so much you are incredibly kind. My DH and myself were kind of in shock after the tech told us this because we didn't know how serious it could be and that it can indicate kidney defects, heart defects, and chromosomal abnormalities. I would have rather not known and then had my OB tell me. My insurance is switching from a Blue Shield PPO to Kaiser on Monday and I called Kaiser to see how soon I could get in. The new patient service actually emailed the entire OB/gyn department with what is going on with me and had me fill out the release forms so I'm all set up to get follow up through them. Of course current OB is supposed to explain things as well on Monday but I need a fetal echocardiogram in about a month and wanted to get the ball rolling.
    I didn't know I had the option of just seeing a perinatologist instead of an OB too. Since I'll need to be monitored at least twice a month from here on out and twice a week after 30 weeks it makes complete sense. Thank you for the advice and kind words!
  • I am 32w with a single umbilical artery. They warned me t the beginning that it could lead to IUGR, which freaked me out because I have a loss history with IUGR.

Baby is growing just fine. No problems. The doctor said that most of the time, the single artery is able to handle it just fine. A sonograoher told me that in his 30 years of work, he'd witnessed one fetal death from it.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • My baby has a SUA and has been doing just fine. As far as we can tell she has been growing normally and doesn't have any defects (according to US). Don't read too much about it or it will just freak you out.
  • @ILoveRedVino and @zeppelingirl6 thank you for your words of encouragement. Besides having HG my pregnancy was chugging along normally with not a hint of bleeding, cramping or anything except the projectile vomiting :-SS
    It is very reassuring to hear other moms are father along and doing well. I'm just trying to stay positive and not worry to much. After the anatomy scan and fetal echo I know I will feel much better (assuming things check out). I guess after that it's just making sure I push for frequent monitoring in regards to the IUGR later on.
    Thank you again for your replies...it really does put my mind at ease!