August 2015 Moms

Things people say that drive you crazy now

I'm 30 weeks now and everyone keeps saying oo not long to go now or that will go by fast. It drives me nuts 10 weeks is still a good 2 months I don't think you'd say that in any other situation and when I say that to people they roll their eyes! Am I just being sensitive? Because I kind of want to punch them lol. Does anyone else have any pregnancy comments directed at them that makes you just go erg internally?

Re: Things people say that drive you crazy now

• This is kinda random, but I get asked a lot if I smoke. Uh, I'm 7 months pregnant, no I don't!! Wtf.
  • Loading the player...
  • I constantly get the "you're too small to have a kid." Or too young. Yes, I look young. Get over it people! It'll be great when I'm 50 and still look good! Also, take a picture. Like people have never seen a pregnant woman before.
  • WithettWithett member
    My current favorites are "Wow, that's going to be a big baby" I'm 30 weeks and have a bump that's popped straight out off my body but I don't think I look that different from most people in their 7th month. Also, how about you not make me feel more concerned about this delivery than I already am! And "August? I'm sorry? I'm sure you'll be okay. Good luck." Why do people have to remind us that we're pregnant through some of the hottest months of the year? Like we're not aware by our constantly sweating bodies. Haha
  • mrieemriee member
    I know people feel the need to state the obvious as they don't know what else to say, so I think they should just say nothing. Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling frustrated.
  • ssk20ssk20 member
    I keep getting "are you sure you're nitwit further along? " or "are you sure there's only one in there? " Not really the type of stuff i want to hear right now.
  • kezdkkezdk member
    My MIL always says - "oh he's so cute" - I know she means well but it makes me a little uncomfortable that she is poking and petting my belly as if we can really see him at this point. I also get the pitty comments about having a summer baby, but quite frankly I grew up in Africa and I would rather deal with the heat than a slippery driveway and ice scrapers/snow brushes...that sounds dangerous. On a positive note, I got a comment that I really liked last night ( I am very lucky to be carrying well so far where all the bump growth is forward and not expanding me anywhere else - other than swollen feet) and a lady said to me "you look great...you have one of those perfect bellies that I bet makes people just want to touch you" it is nice to hear that I am not yet the whale I feel like. I didn't get into it with her...but there are only 3 people who have touched my belly over the past 7 months...hubby, MIL, and one of the kids in my class (3yrs old) who is dying for the baby to come :)
  • Im in the same boat as you, didnt even show until about 2 weeks ago. Ive had people ask "did your doctor say everything is ok since your so small", "are you sure your not like 5 months pregnant", "you should eat more" or " you should stop exercising and just relax so you can put weight on" im sorry that im not a whale, cant quite help that. The baby, my uterus and my weight measure perfectly and i feel fantastic so they can all shove it!
  • I keep getting "Wow you have a big baby/ a lot of fluid." I'm small, there is nowhere for this baby to go but out! "You'll never sleep again." Thanks lady, but I basically kissed my sleep goodbye with my second trimester. (:|
  • "Should you be drinking that?" Yes, I should. Shut up.

"The next 3 months will go so fast." No, they won't.

"You look good for being pregnant." Umm....

"Two boys? Good luck!" I feel the same way (terrified), so no need to remind me.

"Do twins run in your family on either side?" Sigh. That's not always relevant, but when I give the genetic explanation people's eyes just glaze over.

"Are they identical? You don't know yet? Well do they have their own sacs? Yes? Oh, then they're not identical." NOT NECESSARILY TRUE! One embryo could have split very early!! But again, no one cares enough to listen to the scientific explanation.

"Is your mom your doctor?" NO. Ew.

So ready to be done.
  • I know I already commented, but I hear "winter pregnancies are so much easier than summer pregnancies." A lot. Sorry, I'm a summer person and where I live it gets pretty f-en cold. I personally don't see how putting LAYERS over a bump could be easier, especially when I'm not pregnant and feel like a marshmallow from layering! That's just me though.
  • I'm also getting sick of hearing how big I look and how the next few months will fly by. I know I'm big thank you very much considering I was quite slim before, you don't need to tell me, my back hurts already and I miss getting off the sofa without making all sorts of noises. Plus I hate hearing all of the Oooh she's going to be a really big baby, that will hurt. Yeah I know that too, I have heard a faint whisper that labour hurts. It's all the mothers at work that make these comments so they should know better I think.
  • Haven't seen my MIL in a week and the first thing she says is "you're pregnant! You've gotten bigger this week."

Yeah, I realized that but thanks for mentioning it, again.
  • @Thj417 me too. Everything you said.

Also I know people just don't have anything to say but "how are u feeling?" You don't really want to know about it so why ask? You just want me to say, "I'm ok!"
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A lot of "should you be doing that?" In regard to exercise/food/travel/housework/lifting things. Um are you my doctor? Do you know my body and its limits better than I do? Do you want to come over and clean my bathrooms or go grocery shopping for me? Then shut up!

• I let stupidity fly. I have bp issues, can't let little things bother me! I'm enjoying my pregnacy, now anyway, lol.
  • dkizz82dkizz82 member
    Oh you're due in August? I'm sorry. It's gonna be a bad summer.

Oh you're not sleeping because God is preparing you. I hate that one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a really bad flu that took forever to get over back in December. When I was well enough to go into work, one of the first things an older coworker said was, "You know there's a pretty good chance your baby will be schizophrenic. I don't know. I'd be worried if I were you." She then showed me the study from a scientific journal detailing the correlation between sick moms and bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in their children.
    -.- Thanks.

I also get the "good luck" comments about having an August baby. I've lived in Central Texas my whole life, and I have access to a private pool. I think I'll manage ;)

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "August? You didn't time that well. You'll be dying"
    Not everyone can plan exactly when you conceive. Took us 6 months. Plus, I love hot weather.
    "Oh, so it is true you show more and faster with the second." Ouch!
    Comments are tough but its the looks that kill me.
    people look and gauck at my belly then look at me. Like I am a freak. Like I am the first pregnant person they've ever seen. I am already self concoius. Thanks!
    My daughter was born in April and it was great because we conceived august and had all winter to be bundled up in sweaters and comfy sweatshirts. Now it is tanks and shorts. Tough to conceal. I am proud of my bump but I do get self concoius.
    on the other hand I do get a lot of smiles from old people. Lol!
  • I get the heat comments a lot being due in August as well. I've gotten the "Are you sure it's not twins?!" I'm 30 weeks as well and it absolutely drives me nuts when people say that it's so close! Yeah I feel like it's close sometimes but then I can't sleep and am miserable and ready for it to all be over!!!!

I also work outside in a very male dominated field. I get "Are you sure you should be doing that?" from a lot of my co-workers and farm managers. I want to say that they can do it for me if they are so concerned! Doesn't look like anyone else is stepping up to make my job any easier and I'm doing everything to cover their asses! 

I'm generally hormonal and hate everyone at this point... I'm just ready to meet my baby girl and not have to stress out about my job for a bit.

• @jsportiello I got all of these when pregnant with my twin boys. People are so nosy with twins. I even got the horrifying "are they natural?" No, they're aliens.

Now it's transitioned into people seeing them and always leading with "are they twins?" One of these days I'm going to say that I stole one that looked like the other. Also, the continuous biology lessons on twins can be annoying.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jsportiello I got all of these when pregnant with my twin boys. People are so nosy with twins. I even got the horrifying "are they natural?" No, they're aliens. Now it's transitioned into people seeing them and always leading with "are they twins?" One of these days I'm going to say that I stole one that looked like the other. Also, the continuous biology lessons on twins can be annoying.

People ask all the time if my 2 and 3 yr olds are twins. They are 17 months apart and DD is clearly 6inches taller among other maturity differences. People are dumb.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I don't like it when someone tells me I'm getting so big. I don't know how you will make it. Appreciate the positive vibes.. :-<
  • Comments don't generally annoy me because I know people mean well and just have this odd interest in pregnant women. But a few have bugged the crap out of me:

"Getting bigger!" Or "look at that big belly"-my father in law. Every time he sees me. Every. Time. I logically know he's just excited and isn't calling me fat. But it feels like he's calling me fat!

Equally annoying is "you're so small" or "I want to know how much this baby weighs because it's going to be SO SMALL." So people actually can't win...

"Is this your first? Are you nervous?"-STRANGER who held the door open for me at Starbucks when he saw me coming from at least 50 feet away...

"Don't lift that."-Everyone. Usually I've come from the gym where I just squatted or lifted upwards of 100 pounds. I think I can get that grocery bag, thanks.
  • I'm interested, what's the scientific explanation?
  • micshi said:

I had a really bad flu that took forever to get over back in December. When I was well enough to go into work, one of the first things an older coworker said was, "You know there's a pretty good chance your baby will be schizophrenic. I don't know. I'd be worried if I were you." She then showed me the study from a scientific journal detailing the correlation between sick moms and bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in their children.
    -.- Thanks.

I also get the "good luck" comments about having an August baby. I've lived in Central Texas my whole life, and I have access to a private pool. I think I'll manage ;)

Did you punch this woman? You should! WTF?!?!

• Oh my god!!! All of the random effing comments About my size, my due date, etc. WHY CANT PEOPLE LEAVE PREGNANT WOMEN ALONE?!?!
  • dpmm93dpmm93 member
    "Are you drinking coffee?!" With a disgusted look. "Stop lifting so much" "don't reach up like that" "you're going to have such a hard time sleeping this summer" "you're huge!" The list goes on and on..haha
  • @jsportiello I got all of these when pregnant with my twin boys. People are so nosy with twins. I even got the horrifying "are they natural?" No, they're aliens.

Now it's transitioned into people seeing them and always leading with "are they twins?" One of these days I'm going to say that I stole one that looked like the other. Also, the continuous biology lessons on twins can be annoying.

I got "are these guys natural?" from the ultrasound tech!! Ours are, but I still got offended on behalf of all those who are "not," as if IVF babies don't count!
  • skybusick said:

I'm interested, what's the scientific explanation?

If the twins are identical, that's random, NOT genetic. The embryo splits and voila. Multiples.

If the twins are fraternal, the gene that produces them is the mother's tendency to ovulate more than one egg at a time. Obviously, that has nothing to do with the male. Now, a male could inherit this tendency and pass it on to a daughter who then has twins, but he would not have twins because of it. So if our twins are fraternal, it's possible I got the trait from my mom or my dad, but my husband's family has nothing to do with it. If the male is the one with the trait, it won't show up until someone has a daughter who inherits it and has twins (so grandchildren or later).

Does that make sense? It's hard to say all that in a nonconvoluted way.