Baby Showers

Forget it deleted

abbi1995abbi1995
250 Love Its 100 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
edited May 2015 in Baby Showers

Re: Forget it deleted

• Don't have one....
    beStillbeBrightYogaSandyqueenwog
  • Also, you really aren't revealing your baby's gender.  You are revealing it's sex.  Your child will reveal their gender to you later in life.

YogaSandyNoSugarCoating27alex
  • abbi1995 said:

Hey everyone I'm not very far alone 6w 4d, but I need some ideas for gender reveal. I've thought about the balloons being release outside and the cupcakes with the surprise color filling. Any ideas yall have used in the past or want to use in the future? Open mind to Anything :)

Honestly, I would skip it. They come across as very AW, and as PP's have said, no one really cares as much as you, and maybe the grandparents.  

If you do decide to do a sex reveal (Sex is the proper terminology, you should use it) do cupcakes, releasing balloons can kill animals who eat the deflated balloons once they land, and everybody likes cake. If I have to go to a AW party, there had better be cake.
    LFAF October Signature Challange
    FemShepfinchfeeder80CatsAreShadysschwege
  • delujm0delujm0
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    These parties rub me the wrong way but if you MUST do it, please make sure that you are finding out the sex at the same time as the guests. Nothing is stupider than the parents finding out the sex privately and then having a huge dramatic reveal to a bunch of people who don't really care either way. Pointless. And a pure attention grab.

I just called or texted the VIPs and we told other people when they asked us. No party necessary.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married 5-31-14
    DD1 born 6-21-15
    DD2 born 6-11-17
    DS born 9-5-18

TheRedHeatherVORakaninisschwege
  • Party poopers!!!

OP, I do agree with PP that you should find out the sex at the same time as your guests do.

I also recommend just having your immediate family and close friends together if you really are going to throw a party like this. Most people want to barf if they are invited to a sex reveal but people close to you might care.

Do a cake or cupcakes with either pink or blue frosting inside. Then cut into and BAM! You find out what you are having.

• Casadena said:

Don't have one....

That was going to be my answer.
    sschwege
  • Go ahead and have one. And find out the sex whenever you want. Seriously. These reveal parties can be fun and those who don't like them can stay home. I just wouldn't pose it as a gift giving event. I would skip the balloons unless you're not releasing them into the air. Maybe do scratch-off tickets or a cake with pink or blue cake.
    CafeMom Tickers

DreaMak
  • You were quoted. And deleting only draws more attention.

Oh, I immediately clicked on this post because of the dirty delete! I was hoping for something more interesting, though. Boring gender reveal parties . . . blah. I read this a couple of days ago and didn't care enough to comment. There's no accounting for taste!
    missteacherlady16Sassenach1743Knottie59387608
  • anorthro said:

Go ahead and have one. And find out the sex whenever you want. Seriously. These reveal parties can be fun and those who don't like them can stay home. I just wouldn't pose it as a gift giving event. I would skip the balloons unless you're not releasing them into the air. Maybe do scratch-off tickets or a cake with pink or blue cake.

What is the point of having a how my kid will pee reveal if you already know the sex? I thought the whole point of these parties was for EVERYONE (except the person planning or baking) to be surprised. 
    I'm an opinionated lurking lurker who lurks and offers advice and admonition as needed. You've been warned of my lurking nature.

Knottie59387608
  • anorthro said:

Go ahead and have one. And find out the sex whenever you want. Seriously. These reveal parties can be fun and those who don't like them can stay home. I just wouldn't pose it as a gift giving event. I would skip the balloons unless you're not releasing them into the air. Maybe do scratch-off tickets or a cake with pink or blue cake.

From what I've heard from people that don't abhor these parties, the fun comes from seeing the parents-to-be's reaction at the reveal. If the parents already know, what's the point?
    DS1: BFP 04/03/11 | EDD 12/02/11 | born 11/21/11 
    DS2: BFP 02/09/13 | EDD 10/26/13 | said goodbye 06/02/13
    BigboobsmcgeeBlueWaffleSpeshul27alex
  • DreaMakDreaMak
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I honestly dont see why people are sayinn no once cares more than you would. Your friends must suck. I had one and my best friends had one and it was such a fun experience, seeing who guessed what, who was right and who was wrong, the games and cake.
    Seriously if you want to do one, do it!
    I agree with it should be a surprise for you too but if not thats okay, because the friends and family that you invite and that actually come honestly do want to know.
    Boonhilde
  • DreaMak said:

VOR said:

DreaMak said:

I honestly dont see why people are sayinn no once cares more than you would. Your friends must suck. I had one and my best friends had one and it was such a fun experience, seeing who guessed what, who was right and who was wrong, the games and cake.
    Seriously if you want to do one, do it!
    I agree with it should be a surprise for you too but if not thats okay, because the friends and family that you invite and that actually come honestly do want to know.

I'm always excited to know what my friends are going to have.  But I don't need to be told via a big party.  Especially if an actual shower is going to be held at a later date.  There IS something about the attitude of "OMG! Every step of this pregnancy needs to be celebrated!!!" that gets old. 

People can be excited for you w/o you asking them to give up their free time to come and 'celebrate' with you. 

Some reveals are meant to be small - and that I can get on board with.  But when someone is talking about a fricking balloon release... sorry, you've moved into AW territory. 
    Yeah if you read what she put, shes looking for ideas. And big whoop , a few colored balloons being let out from a box. Its exciting and cute.
    And yeah YOU dont need to be told through a big party. Key word , YOU. Shes not you. She's probably a FTM lot a lot of women on here, so yeah she wants to celebrate her pregnancy with family and friends. Its not a crime, like seriously. And so what, shell have a shower too, thats what a total of 2 parties though out her pregnancy. "Omg thats to many parties" seriously STFU. It gives family and friends to get the chance to see how shes progressed in her pregnancy and more importantly celebrating the life she is creating.

Good lord. She got that. She was told outdoor balloon releases can harm wildlife and that the cupcake idea was the best one because people like cake.  And other people shared that they found them to be really AW. You don't get to dictate that everyone pinterest searches sex reveal parties for you and no criticism when you post on a forum. 
    bbiutmcphGrumpyCatSaysNo
  • I've had a few friends that have had "gender" ( sex would be more appropriate) reveal partys . One was at the country club and one was at a park and both were so fun!! It's a great social event for friends and family both male and female to mingle and have some fun. I'm due in January so I won't be having the outdoor couples baby shower so instead I'll probably have a gender reveal party in August on our property. Jumpy house for the kids and beverages / appetizers. @abbi1995 this is an open forum and not everybody will agree with what you would like to do and they will certainly express their own opinion but you can't take it personally . Do whatever you want and be happy. It really doesn't matter what others think to be honest. Have a party , invite your loved ones, if somebody doesn't want to come then they won't . Stay positive ! Life is too short and precious for negativity <:-P
    DreaMak
  • DreaMakDreaMak
    edited May 2015
    @wassuphoes first the balloon release doesn't have to be outside, but yes i read that aswell and second im not sure if you have a typo or what, because im not getting that last part entirely, but i dont see how im dictating anything? Infact what i did was the same as everyone else, stating my opinion, and quoting someone I disagree with because they quoted me.
    And no criticism? Pretty much everyone that posted on here was criticizing the girl that just simply asked for ideas. Oh but thats okay do to right? So why is defending what i think wrong?
    Its not, we all have our opinions and the right to disagree with one another.
  • DreaMak said:

@wassuphoes first the balloon release doesn't have to be outside, but yes i read that aswell and second im not sure if you have a typo or what, because im not getting that last part entirely, but i dont see how im dictating anything? Infact what i did was the same as everyone else, stating my opinion, and quoting someone I disagree with because they quoted me.
    And no criticism? Pretty much everyone that posted on here was criticizing the girl that just simply asked for ideas. Oh but thats okay do to right? So why is defending what i think wrong?
    Its not we all have are opinions and the right to disagree with one another.

The OP posted something unpopular and got criticism for it. But she also got feedback on ideas with that. Thats not a bad thing.  And it certainly didn't need someone to WK and tell people they should
    "seriously STFU" 
    as you so eloquently put it.
    missemmawoodhouseasherkbbiutmcphGrumpyCatSaysNo
  • DreaMakDreaMak
    But did anyone say thats to many parties? No, i used it has an example and bashed on it. So get over it☺️ @wassuphoes
  • DreaMakDreaMak
    edited May 2015
    Awwe you took the time to get a meme for me☺️ thank you!
    And btw your statement is completely irrelevant to what we were arguing about.
    And you can quote me like youve done before, i said
    "Its not we all have our opinions and the right to disagree with one another."

But you see, what we were arguing about what you trying to say i was telling everyone to seriously stfu, when thats not the case at all. I made a quote saying, "omg thats to many parties" and said seriously STFU to that.

Oh but good try tho! @wassuphoes
  • @DreaMak and @wassuphoes you do realize you are fighting on a Baby Shower board on the internet right? Just making sure.

jonesl12wassuphoesdufferooslhawkins25
  • @DreaMak and @wassuphoes you do realize you are fighting on a Baby Shower board on the internet right? Just making sure.

Point taken.
    DreaMakBigboobsmcgeeFrogger5

Point taken.

wassuphoesDreaMak
  • anorthro said:

What is the point of having a how my kid will pee reveal if you already know the sex? I thought the whole point of these parties was for EVERYONE (except the person planning or baking) to be surprised. 
    Ummm...maybe to reveal it to your friends and family?
    CafeMom Tickers

DreaMakBoonhilde
  • anorthro said:

From what I've heard from people that don't abhor these parties, the fun comes from seeing the parents-to-be's reaction at the reveal. If the parents already know, what's the point?
    The point is to reveal it to your friends and family. Not everyone's friends and family are solely interested in the parents' reaction.
    CafeMom Tickers

DreaMakBoonhilde
  • We had a "reveal" cake made and took it to Easter. It was a nice compromise to surprise our family without having to have a whole separate party just to reveal. They were all excited to find out, but I'm sure there would have been some grumbling/side eyes if we made them all come together just for this purpose.

While we already knew what it was (I could have never kept myself from peeking if we tried to find out with everyone else), our family had no idea we had even found out until it was time to serve dessert. It was fun and quick with a little excitement, and then easter resumed as normal.
    jmak5ewilson74Sassenach1743sschwege
  • anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Dude, no. Don't make me waste an entire afternoon just so you can AW how you're kid will pee. I'm super excited when I find out one of my friends is expecting. I'm happy for them when they find out if it's a boy or a girl. But I don't care enough to spend my little bit of free time at a party just to have it revealed to me. Call me or send me a text.
    DS1: BFP 04/03/11 | EDD 12/02/11 | born 11/21/11 
    DS2: BFP 02/09/13 | EDD 10/26/13 | said goodbye 06/02/13
    missemmawoodhousewassuphoesYogaSandy
  • anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Wrong. The point is for everyone to find out at the same time. The parents' surprise is actually the main focus.
    I'm an opinionated lurking lurker who lurks and offers advice and admonition as needed. You've been warned of my lurking nature.

• delujm0delujm0
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Look, it's not that close friends and family don't care what you're having. I am excited when I hear what my friends are having. However, I would never be excited to carve hours out of my day to attend a big production where this information is released to me. A call or text or FB post is more than enough. Because really the sex is not important. The healthy baby is important.

I am slightly more tolerant of these events when the parents are finding out at the same time but I'd still prefer to watch a 30 second video of their reaction than spend several hours of a weekend day at a party related to it. I get so little time to do what I want to during the week...giving up time on a weekend for this kind of event isn't something I'd be into doing. A baby shower? Of course. But not a sex reveal.

Honestly if you want to do a reveal party I'd suggest only inviting a few people...like your parents, siblings, and maybe a close friend or two. I personally wouldn't want to impose on a lot of other people for this.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married 5-31-14
    DD1 born 6-21-15
    DD2 born 6-11-17
    DS born 9-5-18

wassuphoesVORGrumpyCatSaysNoYogaSandy
  • jonesl12jonesl12
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited May 2015
    If somebody is invited and they don't want to join the festivities typically they won't come/RSVP for the event. It's nice to get an invite even though they may not want to go so in my opinion id invite whoever you want .
    DreaMaklola2bee
  • anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Dude, no. Don't make me waste an entire afternoon just so you can AW how you're kid will pee. I'm super excited when I find out one of my friends is expecting. I'm happy for them when they find out if it's a boy or a girl. But I don't care enough to spend my little bit of free time at a party just to have it revealed to me. Call me or send me a text.
    Lucky for you, you don't have to go to a party if you don't want to. Some people enjoy these parties.
    CafeMom Tickers

DreaMaklola2bee
  • anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Wrong. The point is for everyone to find out at the same time. The parents' surprise is actually the main focus.
    You can tell me I'm wrong, but what you're saying here is your opinion.
    CafeMom Tickers

DreaMak
  • delujm0 said:

anorthro said:

anorthro said:

Look, it's not that close friends and family don't care what you're having. I am excited when I hear what my friends are having. However, I would never be excited to carve hours out of my day to attend a big production where this information is released to me. A call or text or FB post is more than enough. Because really the sex is not important. The healthy baby is important.

I am slightly more tolerant of these events when the parents are finding out at the same time but I'd still prefer to watch a 30 second video of their reaction than spend several hours of a weekend day at a party related to it. I get so little time to do what I want to during the week...giving up time on a weekend for this kind of event isn't something I'd be into doing. A baby shower? Of course. But not a sex reveal.

Honestly if you want to do a reveal party I'd suggest only inviting a few people...like your parents, siblings, and maybe a close friend or two. I personally wouldn't want to impose on a lot of other people for this.
    I totally respect your opinion. I have been to reveals where the parents knew and I found them fun. I don't feel like an invitation to a party is an imposition. You're totally entitled to feel otherwise!
    CafeMom Tickers

• als1982als1982
    100 Love Its 100 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I personally find the point of gender reveal parties to be dumb and completely eye roll worthy. BUT, I do enjoy any excuse to hang out with my friends and family. Plus, an event invitation isn't a summons, so if people don't want to come, they don't have to. With all this in mind, if it's something you want to do then go for it.
  • OMG. Once, or a few times, a friend of mine had a party for NO GOOD REASON! And I was like, what's the point? Attention grab much?

Seriously people. It's a party. People get together and eat her food and drink her drinks and stand still for maybe two minutes while she has the pleasure of revealing something she's excited about to close friends and family. She's not asking for your approval; she's asking for ideas on how to do it.

And the baby can't "reveal" its gender, because the baby doesn't know which gender it associates with; WE KNOW! But the parents can assign the matching gender to the sex automatically, thus making it a gender reveal.
    That being said, I referred to my own party as a "sex party," probably because apparently I'm an attention hog.

OP: Go with cupcakes. Have FUN! It's all about fun right? Holy cow. You'd think you were throwing your own shower, or something.
    BabyFetus Ticker